2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are you dealing with multiple windshield replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 11:33 PM
Drifting
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How are you dealing with multiple windshield replacements?

Hi, I’ve owned my Defender for 10 months and just got my 3rd cracked windshield.

Have had the dealer replace each one, solar film + heated at a cost of ~$2k. My deductible had been $500 for each of those. though I just lowered it to $100.

I’m not in a state that has the glass coverage

so how are you guys handling multiple replacements? Price you pay for driving a defender? Is there a good 3rd party coverage?

im in the mtns near Tahoe. Maybe I should wait to fix this one until after winter? Way more debris on the road this time of year.

any help is appreciated.

Old 10-25-2023, 09:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Glass coverage is also not mandatory here in Texas. Although I only got one rock in the past 2 years - fortunately it did not crack and I was able to repair - what I did in my renewal was to include glass as part of my comprehensive coverage with Progressive. It increased my premium by about $120 for a six months policy, but I think it is well worth it based on all the reports of Defenders with broken windshields. Every claim you make and pay your $500 or $100 deductible gets logged into your history and when you go for renewal you can expect a hammer in the head for your new quotes. I learned that when I went for renewal this year. Even the claim I made for repair with Safelite - which I did not pay for - was in my report.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:59 AM
Drifting
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrego
Glass coverage is also not mandatory here in Texas. Although I only got one rock in the past 2 years - fortunately it did not crack and I was able to repair - what I did in my renewal was to include glass as part of my comprehensive coverage with Progressive. It increased my premium by about $120 for a six months policy, but I think it is well worth it based on all the reports of Defenders with broken windshields. Every claim you make and pay your $500 or $100 deductible gets logged into your history and when you go for renewal you can expect a hammer in the head for your new quotes. I learned that when I went for renewal this year. Even the claim I made for repair with Safelite - which I did not pay for - was in my report.
lovely. So you’re saying that after 3 windshields , progressive is gonna jack up my premium next year?

Old 10-26-2023, 11:44 AM
Drifting
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RenoDefender
lovely. So you’re saying that after 3 windshields , progressive is gonna jack up my premium next year?
Yes…that’s why they’re called Progressive…they get progressively more expensive

The following users liked this post:
RenoDefender (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 11:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

That was actually my experience with All State. They tried to jack my Defender premium in almost $200+ for a six month coverage, so I jumped to Progressive (with the same premium I had in the expiring policy) but I do not have reason to believe any of them (insurers) work different when it comes to underwriting a policy. In fact, Progressive sent me one of those standard forms after issuing my policy and sure enough somewhere buried was a list with all my glass claims in chrono order. Granted, I am not sure the increase was solely due to the glass claim, but I can tell you I did not have any other claims and paid on auto-pay every due date. Every renewal they come with that same shenanigans "- insurance is just increasing every month, every where and yadayadayada..." I refused to accept, went shopping and gave them the boot after Progressive came much lower.

The following users liked this post:
RenoDefender (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 09:13 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

so how are you guys handling multiple replacements?
any help is appreciated.
My “solution”: don’t replace it - if it’s just going to crack again why bother. (my insurance doesn’t cover it anyway).
Yea it looks ugly but that’s other people’s problem.
Yea it’s illegal: “yes officer, I have one on order”
I’ll replace it when I sell it.

The following 2 users liked this post by dj200:
Defendit.. (10-27-2023), wlindsey@gmail.com (10-29-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 03:13 AM
Winching
Received 293 Likes on 190 Posts

ls it mainly rock hits or are the windshields cracking for no reason.

Mine has never cracked, but l don't really go off road or in the canyons.

My off road driving tends to be at a low speed, there's no desert, or unmade roads here that you can achieve any speed on to throw up rocks.

Old 10-27-2023, 09:15 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Highway driving is what does it for me. I don't follow anyone closely and end up catching stray rocks from another lane over. I'm going to wait till the bitter end before swapping my windshield and hope there's a good aftermarket option in 1-2 years when I decide to keep or trade my 110 in.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

i buy the aftermarket pack from the dealer that includes glass coverage. its about $2K but thats only one windshield. After living in AZ no insurance will give me glass coverage because of how many we replaced in AZ

Old 10-27-2023, 02:06 PM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I've read other threads on here about windshields and people reccomend windshield protection film. A local tint/wrap shop uses Alchemy ExoShield. I have not taken delivery of my Defender yet but I am contemplating the film for added strength.

Quick Reply: How are you dealing with multiple windshield replacements?