2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a defender 110X and it has "AUTO" mode. in snow and 'icy" conditions is there

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2022 | 05:57 PM
|
Winching

The current winter blasts allowed me to check for the sure stability of the D2 in winter snow/ice conditions. I tried the snow and gravel mode and sport manual mode and it great. The annoying HUD cannot be disabled though. I tried the Auto mode in sport manual and it was just as good. On 275/55/20 blizzaks. I checked the 4x4 screen and it doesn't show if the center differential is locked or not. What mode can you locked the center differential and still drive at highway speeds?

Old 12-25-2022 | 06:10 PM
Rock Crawling

The 4x4 screen shows when my center and/or rear diff are locking.

Old 12-25-2022 | 06:38 PM
|
Winching

Originally Posted by Tartan
The 4x4 screen shows when my center and/or rear diff are locking.
What mode? Can you lock them manually or is it just an info screen? I know the g550 you can manually lock the center diff.

Old 12-25-2022 | 08:45 PM
Rock Crawling

This is a good thread on the subject. These are proportional lockers do they are not on/off, but if you have TR2, you can bias towards locked in configurable terrain response.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...ion-lr-109271/

The following users liked this post:
EasternShoreDefender (12-25-2022)
Old 12-25-2022 | 10:38 PM
|
Winching

This is a good thread on the subject. These are proportional lockers do they are not on/off, but if you have TR2, you can bias towards locked in configurable terrain response.

The 110 X have TR2 that's why you have auto mode. But auto mode is not good enough in highway speeds in snowy and icy conditions. If you lock the center differential, you can be assured of superior traction and control.

Old 12-26-2022 | 11:07 AM
Pro Wrench

Sounds like there may be some confusion regarding the various settings and control of differentials. The center and rear diffs will lock/unlock fractionaly as needed. It's automatic.

If you want to manually fully lock them you can in TR2 configurable.

Driving speed does not reduce the functionality of the diffs. They will do their thing at any speed.

Driving speed only restricts things like ride height. eg Offraod height 2 below 25 and Offroad 1 below 50mph. Locked access height below 20 or 25 I cant recall which.

The diffs' status is displayed in the 4x4i screen. If you're not seeing it it's either that you are not sure what to be looking for or you have a software glitch.

This is true in all modes. The diffs will do their thing in all modes all speeds all conditions. Some modes are not possible above certain speeds. (Wade for example)

AUTO mode does not prevent their function at highway speeds or in snow or both if you're feeling brave.

Highway in snow mode

LoRange, Sand mode and raised suspension for the last few miles from highway to parking lot.

A different drive. Example of diffs in a fully locked status in Mud-rutts. (The brains of Defender do this)

Diffs are open here. Again its automatic. Both will do their thing independently of the other.

Finlander (12-27-2022)
Old 12-26-2022 | 06:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I vote the thread you attached be made sticky -- specifically because the thread includes the MOST USEFUL AND EDUCATIONAL mapping of sensor driven vehicle control features to the standard Modes which JLR utilizes.

Enjoy !!

Old 12-26-2022 | 07:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by sblvro
What mode? Can you lock them manually or is it just an info screen? I know the g550 you can manually lock the center diff.
Tartan:

As noted by others in this thread, the invention of clutched differentials (either one or two clutches -- two being necessary for an eDiff.) has come to maturity only in the last 10 years or so. Much credit is due to those in the winter rally world and the EU suppliers (mostly) for supporting the development.

The GWagon (G550) is an old-school design. What defines this categorization (in my thoughts and nomenclature) is primarily the use of on/off lockers (not clutched differentials which have variable slippage capability). It is the clutches which eliminate the concern you properly note about drive train wind-up -- which can occur when locking the center differential (or a front or rear on/off locker) on non-slippery surfaces (like dry pavement).

A very significant challenge in making clutched differentials a valid production approach was to minimize the time lag inherent within the drive line to respond to momentary tractive capability changes between the tires and the road surface. A significant step forward for JLR was taken in this area in 2014 when the Range Rover Evoque converted from the 2010 generation IV Haldex permanent four-wheel drive system to an AWD Active Driveline system by GKN Driveline. I bought my 2016 Evoque primarily to experience the Active Driveline technology (plus my wife thought the Evoque of that time was cute beyond compare). I did NOT choose to purchase the electronically variable shock absorber technology ($$$) which was also tested out in that platform.

Active driveline on the Evoque (which had no LO range nor transfer case) featured a clutch integrated into the front differential which instantaneously (or so close to instantaneous as to never to be able to tell the difference in any driving regime) spun up the drive shaft to the rear differential, which then drove the rear wheels through a clutched rear diff.

TO YOUR POINT, A FUN FACT OF THIS DRIVELINE WAS THAT WHENEVER YOU SELECTED AN OFF-ROAD MODE, THE CENTER DRIVE LINE WAS ENGAGED AND SET TO SPINNING -- even though the rear diff. clutches were disengaged. There was no AUTO mode, explicitly; instead what we are used to as AUTO on the New Defender was that the center drive line was NOT spun up until the wheel sensors demanded it.

I could NEVER tell the difference between the drive line pre-spinning and the whole driveline responding AUTOmatically. With the two speed transfer case on the New Defender, of course those drive shafts are always spinning and all the tractive energy allocation activity happens within the clutched differentials and the fast braking action at each of the four wheels.

Without a transfer case, the Evoque driveline was very light, and it had little gear engagement initiation to accomplish, and it could economically be in a smaller car and provide HI range AWD performance much more capable than my 4WD 2011 LR4 (assuming one is on a track with no need of LO range nor air suspension) . It was humanly NOT possible to feel the system engage, nor to feel or hear the center drive shaft spin up.

The off-road performance of the 2016 Evoque (albeit without the advantageous of air suspension nor LO range) was exceptional. And what a joy !! My 2016 Evoque loved sand and the beach, and spending a substantial amount of time on 2 or 3 wheels off-road. It could go anywhere its ground clearance and HI range torque allowed. Great Fun.

For me, the NEW DEFENDER, drive line wise, is the natural, greatly improved, off-spring of the LR4 and the Evoque.

Enjoy !!

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 12-26-2022 at 07:32 PM.
WMN (12-27-2022)