Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I scaled the 2020 Prototypes for tire size and angles

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 03:41 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I scaled the 2020 Prototypes for tire size and angles

There is a perfect side shot of the two door prototype with the tire size legible on the sidewall. I was able to scale the photo and come up with some angles and a wheelbase. The four-door variants aren't quite side profiles and so I couldn't get an accurate wheelbase, but I was able to compare ratios of the rim to the sidewall and it looks like if it uses Rover's traditional 30" stock wheel......the 4-doors are running 21" rims which are kind of a bummer if you prefer outdoor/rugged terrain.

Anyway, I posted all of my findings in a video. I'll warn you ahead of time that when discussing the rim sizes, it comes across as more of a rant. Primarily because it's frustrating to see the beloved Defender cladded in mall-crawling bling while the Bronco prototype is running around on BF Goodrich KO2s.....

Old 04-02-2019, 08:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

It’s JLR what do you expect. They aren’t going to try and compete with Jeep Wrangler and Toyota 4Runner when it comes to the off-road enthusiast. And soon the Bronco. Land Rover isn’t interested in the heritage off-road vehicle they once made. 99% (no actual data here just sayin’) of their vehicles never see the dirt. The Jeep Wrangler and 4Runner owners are off road enthusiast and use them for such. The new Defender will be an ooo and ahh when it debuts but just like the Range Rover and new Discovery, it to will crawl around the mall parking lots and hang out at the Country Clubs.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:37 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree.

There are a lot of second and third owners of LR3/LR4/ and RRS who make them into overland vehicles, but they are overshadowed by GX/LX and Land Cruiser owner second/third owners (I'd argue GX original owners off road less than Land Rover owners).

I do know the Centerville Land Rover Dealership in Utah has pretty good success with first owners on an annual trip down to Moab. I've toyed with the idea of paying the $500 fee and bringing my Disco to watch and see first hand how D5s perform on the trail with their limited articulation, long wheelbase, and radiators in front of the tires.

It's sad how the brand is dying. I know personally, I'm moving from my D2 over to an LX470 for an overland build. Aside from the limited front articulation (which the Discovery does much much better), the LX has a lot more to offer.

I was clinging on to a shred of hope with the Defender, but with each update and spy-shot, it's looking more and more that JLR doesn't care at all.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at several of the "spy shots" and came to the conclusion it's just another expensive SUV with a badge on it.

Defender is just the once upon a time heritage they are trading off to keep selling new vehicles.

No nonsense utility and off road trucks that are affordable don't make profits.

The only way to have a decent off road vehicle is to build the one you want regardless of brand and model.

Here in the UK actual Defenders are still so plentiful that enthusiasts are not bothered about the hype about the new one all that much as we can still get decent originals and if so inclined can get rough ones and with so much aftermarket parts availability you can build a really nice example for not much ££££

Land Rover WAS a half decent brand and built vehicles for farmers, construction and utilities ONCE, had a military HISTORY for front line vehicles too, all of which are now past tense and no longer apply to current models, farmers use side by side ATVs, utility companies have the pick of a dozen DCPU in 4x4 and 4x2 as well as pick ups with all mod cons and factory fit of any accessory you want, something that LR moved away from almost a decade a go and kept the dinosaur as a token because it sold and maintained the legacy.

JLR are just another vehicle manufacturer that turned it's back on the UK and makes luxury SUVs for people with more money than sense.

The following users liked this post:
99Discovery (04-12-2019)