2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ice cold. Ineos takes the first LR ever and does this with it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 04:41 PM
Mudding
Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
The Grenadier is no "in between" model, and I think their ICE model will be running for decades.
The Grenadier is a car just the same as any other car. It has less electronics than the Defender, but it is still chock full of electronics (BMW electronics, which have a rep on par with LR electronics) - as every new car has in order to pass emissions, produce power levels deemed acceptable by today's buying public and be safe enough to jump those legislative hurdles. Where do you believe that there is more longevity built in to a Grenadier than a Defender?

Old 08-21-2023, 04:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
​​​If any other person on the planet bought it and did this, sure.

When Jim Ratcliffe does it after copying the the Defender design, beating Land Rover's trademark infringement suit, and then laughs about using it to promote his Grenadier "support vehicles" then goes on to say Ineos is the true descendant of this original Landy...

This was deliberate and he's laughing his *** off about it. Rightfully so.
The folks on the Grenadier forum are practically moist from this video.

I think it's bloody brilliant.

LR marketing folks have really had their asses handed to them here. I wonder how much Radcliffe/Ineos bid for this piece of junk, incredible piece of automotive history.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 09:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Whatever. A Land Rover enthusiast buys a historically significant Land Rover? Good for Sir Jim, good for Land Rover.

I love my old '64 SIIA; I canceled my reservation for an Ineos; and I love my new D110. Surely there is room for everyone under the tent.

The following users liked this post:
WAFOX (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 11:48 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Myron
Whatever. A Land Rover enthusiast buys a historically significant Land Rover? Good for Sir Jim, good for Land Rover.

I love my old '64 SIIA; I canceled my reservation for an Ineos; and I love my new D110. Surely there is room for everyone under the tent.
I agree, both can coexist. LR is a different company these days (they have to be as the marketplace is very different) yet they build terrific vehicles and our modern Defender is an incredible vehicle. I'm excited about the Ineos and hope that they succeed.

Old 08-22-2023, 01:01 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

The L320, L322 models are more direct descendants of the JUE and reinvented in the L663 defender 110!

Old 08-22-2023, 01:02 AM
Mudding
Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

My problem with INEOS is less the Ford vs Chevy thing than the chairman Jim "the Rat" Ratcliffe. I am utterly sick and tired of boundless egotists. Anyone who makes a fortune in a western county does so because of the infrastructure. Which we all need to pay for, inequalities and inefficiencies notwithstanding. Jim made his fortune in the EU, lobbied pro Brexit because he felt the EUs regulations were stifling, moved Grenadier production from the UK to France anyway, and to top it all off moved INEOS from the UK to Switzerland and his personal assets from the UK to Monaco for tax reasons. A$$hoe. Fuhk this "Sir Jim" BS.

As for which is better, the Grenadier or the Defender: the jury is still out on that one.
- The Defender is a much more pleasant drive on-road and both are similarly capable off-road. +1 for the Defender.
- Looks-wise, Defender hands down (the Grenadier looks more like a Russian UAZ than the old Defender IMO - see below). +2 for the Defender.
- Up-to-date tech. +3 for the Defender.
So it will come down to reliability and service, neither of which are pillars in LR's stellar reputation. We'll see - it's going to take several years before the jury can reconvene. It might well never be possible to say one is "better" than the other so it will remain a Ford vs Chevy thing.

IMO the Defender looks a LOT better, though.

Last edited by stevemfr; 08-22-2023 at 01:05 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by stevemfr:
curb-optional (08-22-2023), Defendit.. (08-22-2023), Elektrapops (09-06-2023), GavinC (08-22-2023), mlw911 (08-22-2023), PaulLR (08-22-2023), swajames (08-22-2023), TeddyG (09-04-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-22-2023, 07:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I didn't realize he was a pro-Brexit voice. Viewed in this light, it does seem quite hypocritical of him to then move the whole thing out of the country.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:51 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemfr
My problem with INEOS is less the Ford vs Chevy thing than the chairman Jim "the Rat" Ratcliffe. I am utterly sick and tired of boundless egotists. Anyone who makes a fortune in a western county does so because of the infrastructure. Which we all need to pay for, inequalities and inefficiencies notwithstanding. Jim made his fortune in the EU, lobbied pro Brexit because he felt the EUs regulations were stifling, moved Grenadier production from the UK to France anyway, and to top it all off moved INEOS from the UK to Switzerland and his personal assets from the UK to Monaco for tax reasons. A$$hoe. Fuhk this "Sir Jim" BS.

As for which is better, the Grenadier or the Defender: the jury is still out on that one.
- The Defender is a much more pleasant drive on-road and both are similarly capable off-road. +1 for the Defender.
- Looks-wise, Defender hands down (the Grenadier looks more like a Russian UAZ than the old Defender IMO - see below). +2 for the Defender.
- Up-to-date tech. +3 for the Defender.
So it will come down to reliability and service, neither of which are pillars in LR's stellar reputation. We'll see - it's going to take several years before the jury can reconvene. It might well never be possible to say one is "better" than the other so it will remain a Ford vs Chevy thing.

IMO the Defender looks a LOT better, though.

I have not tested a Grenadier, so I can't comment on that, but I have tested out the Defender and it's awesome. There is zero chance anyone (not even that new GX) is going to compete with the interior of the ND. It has space, lots of plug in spots, cup holder, a flat dash for resting stuff on, good materials you can wipe clean, and a power outlet in the trunk - they thought of everything to make that interior awesome. Most LRs have space as height for passengers. Many Toyotas can be just as long as ND, but not as high inside the cabin for space. This is a critical difference, and what makes LR unique and super comfortable for long family trips. Although Grenadier seems to be offering as much space for passengers in the back seats, it's not going to compete with the quality of space ND offers - IMO. It also lacks a heated steering wheel and perhaps windshield? The back seats have no heat either, suggesting it's initial market was not cold regions. In terms of reliability, time will tell. In terms of looks, I like the pics I've seen of Grenadier, but I haven't seen one yet in person - but it looks good. The ND looks a bit odd to me - it's too smooth, too nice. It has an almost RR silhouette, which is unlikely to hide the dings, scratches, and dents I'm likely to bring home from a family trip. I don't think you'll mind denting the Grenadier, as it seems ready for the inevitable scratch or dent. Making Defender too RR like has a real drawback for some consumers: how many G Wagons have you noticed at camp sites? It's not that a G Wagon can't handle the dirt and terrain - it can. But fixing it afterwards would be tiring and expensive, so why take a G Wagon to the woods to begin with? It's the same for ND - if it looks too pretty to muck up, there will be fewer owners willing to take them out to get roughed up, and the dirt becomes more academic than practical. The Grenadier looks suggest it's ready to be mistreated: let's run over some rocks and potholes - aim for them if you want - and see what happens! The fact that Grenadier has a solid roof is practical: I can park it under a patch of trees for a week and not worry about anything falling on it - who cares, it's not a glass roof like ND. I think the ND is going to have more comp. from the new GX Over Trail, rather than Grenadier.

Old 08-22-2023, 02:41 PM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Trekkie
Jeep is everywhere, Defender and its history isn't
For values of "everywhere" that only include North America.

Defender, Land Cruiser, and Hilux are the options for the other 9/10 of the planet

Old 08-22-2023, 02:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorofRocks
For values of "everywhere" that only include North America.

Defender, Land Cruiser, and Hilux are the options for the other 9/10 of the planet

Hence why I prefaced that comment with 'As an American' Calm down.

The following 2 users liked this post by Trekkie:
GavinC (08-22-2023), _Allegedly (08-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Ice cold. Ineos takes the first LR ever and does this with it.