2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Invitation to see the OCTA unveiling (and updates)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 11:51 AM
Mudding
Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 90
You mean you did not get a photo of Destiny??
It was just Simon and his wife, Caroline! I spent quite some time with the both of them, and they are both great people. A true wealth of knowledge!

Old 07-23-2024, 01:25 PM
Mudding
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyRovers
Hey all, sorry I've been MIA - I fell ill on my last day in the UK and was stuck in bed for the past week with the worst flu of my life. Luckily I'm on the mend and able to update this thread. I spent several hours over two days at the JLR pavilion at Goodwood talking with various people from marketing and engineering. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer. While nobody other than a few press members were allowed on ride-alongs, it was impressive watching the OCTA go up the hill climb. I did speak to one of the test drivers and he said that Turn 1 on the hill climb was achieved at speeds pushing 85 mph, and there was almost zero body roll - I was shocked to see how that thing raced around without a hint of body roll. I have attached a google photos link filled with pictures of the OCTA, including engine bay, interior and undercarriage pictures. Also, if you look closely, you'll see Simon from Powerful UK in some of the pictures. I didn't care for the vegan material on the interior. While I wouldn't say it felt "cheap," leather is a much better alternative. The redesigned center console is interesting - the tray is no longer a tray, but it is now a drawer, which can bee seen in the link below. I also did not like the seat design - the lack of stitching is extremely noticeable in person. And since we're on the subject of seats, the Body and Soul Seats are pointless. The massage was weak (unlike every other JLR product) and the seat haptics for music just felt strange. Similar systems in MB and Bentley products feel natural, but in this case it felt unnatural. Seat adjustment was excellent, but they moved the side bolster and lumbar adjustments to the screen. Underneath, most of the components are shared with the standard car, but there are some big changes; most notably, check out the pictures of the front lower control arms. They are significantly beefed up compared to the already impressive control arms on the standard car, plus they have the SVO logo stamped on them instead of the Jaguar and LR emblems. Also, the OCTA comes with an extra front impact beam just below the grille for added strength. Bear in mind that this is a pre-production prototype, so there are things that could change. I was told that there are only six of these "finished" prototypes in existence - four Euro spec cars, and two being the US spec cars used at the LA and NY events last month. One of these will be kept by JLR's Classic Works, while the rest will be scrapped.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VUV2MtNm5GRThB
Thanks for all the info on Octa & good you're on the mend. The flu is bad news bears. I agree too, Simon is brilliant... For the Octa, it will have its market, but surely limited. I have zero opportunities to go 80 mph over dirt roads. It's more of a bad road/no road scenario, where going maybe 20 mph at most is all I need. I think the suspension and tires look like great improvements, and I wonder if the tire/rim on the Octa will finds it's way over time to become the standard on all Defender trims. What Defender owner doesn't want the best available tire/rim option? I also like the painted skid plate up front (blends more), along with the easy access recovery hook. If they added additional front impact protection, super. (hitting a deer while driving on the road at night is bad news for the car - I get the benefit to enhanced protection there and give JLR credit if it's functional). But the speaker in the car seats? If JLR wants to be a "House of Brands," stop putting RR perks in their off road SUV! Stick to off road perks for the off road Defender and put the on road perks to your RR line. Were there no other off road upgrades (like a tire pressure gauge and battery charge on the dash) that they could come up with? For Defenders by the ocean, the battle is salt: how about enhanced rust protections standard. A spot ready for third party comm/radio, a second battery, or rock sliders. I see lots of G Wagons out by me - they are mostly driven timidly - don't scratch the paint! I don't see those folks wanting a 600 hp Octa with intentions of driving 100 mph or wanting 0-60 in 3 seconds. If you want to impress your neighbor that has a G wagon, buy the $200k RR.

The following users liked this post:
CincyRovers (07-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 01:41 PM
Winching
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

@CincyRovers Thanks for sharing the Octa pictures.

CincyRovers (07-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 02:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by curb-optional
Thanks for all the info on Octa & good you're on the mend. The flu is bad news bears. I agree too, Simon is brilliant... For the Octa, it will have its market, but surely limited. I have zero opportunities to go 80 mph over dirt roads. It's more of a bad road/no road scenario, where going maybe 20 mph at most is all I need. I think the suspension and tires look like great improvements, and I wonder if the tire/rim on the Octa will finds it's way over time to become the standard on all Defender trims. What Defender owner doesn't want the best available tire/rim option? I also like the painted skid plate up front (blends more), along with the easy access recovery hook. If they added additional front impact protection, super. (hitting a deer while driving on the road at night is bad news for the car - I get the benefit to enhanced protection there and give JLR credit if it's functional). But the speaker in the car seats? If JLR wants to be a "House of Brands," stop putting RR perks in their off road SUV! Stick to off road perks for the off road Defender and put the on road perks to your RR line. Were there no other off road upgrades (like a tire pressure gauge and battery charge on the dash) that they could come up with? For Defenders by the ocean, the battle is salt: how about enhanced rust protections standard. A spot ready for third party comm/radio, a second battery, or rock sliders. I see lots of G Wagons out by me - they are mostly driven timidly - don't scratch the paint! I don't see those folks wanting a 600 hp Octa with intentions of driving 100 mph or wanting 0-60 in 3 seconds. If you want to impress your neighbor that has a G wagon, buy the $200k RR.
It is strange that the Defender, while has the seat haptics, does not have the additional speakers in the seats like on the RR. There were not any additional off-road displays in the touchscreen or instrument cluster. Other than the OCTA modes, all of the TR modes and menus are identical to the standard car. The lack of an oil pressure/temp gauge on these is a serious mistake, and one that JLR has been making for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't be worried about rust - everything is aluminum, and coated with a corrosion-resistant coating. I live in the Midwest, and I haven't seen any corrosion on my old D5, or my Defender. There was a bit of rust on the steel components of my LR4, but that was an older car with inferior rust protection. I was able to see the front crash bar, and it was pretty beefy. My friend hit a deer at 65mph and while the damage was minimal (front bumper, headlight, front fender, hood and intercooler) all of the sensors in the front of the car caused his insurance company to total it out. I don't know how much this crash bar will improve the structural integrity of the vehicle, but every bit certainly helps.

Old 07-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,204 Likes on 649 Posts

These photos are great.

Underneath -- so are those skid plates fully covering the underside, replacing the black felt panels we all in our garden variety Deefers? (and if so are they plastic -- which is what they appear to be in pics, or metal, which is what I"d hope?)

Old 07-24-2024, 11:33 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

The photos are fantastic quality, thx for sharing. I'm sure it's better in person but from the pics the seat material doesn't look luxurious or comfortable, and the color looks bland. Not a fan of the carbon trim either.

They also left that cheap looking shiny rubber material in from the standard car that surrounds the shifter and the Hvac dials. The extended leather package on the lower trims levels is nice, but the gear selector console looks like it came out of a Toyota. Octa could have easily upgraded that console.

The retractable tray under the shifter is a nice add though, and the scuff plate inside of the tailgate is functional and looks great. Tires look amazing.

Old 07-26-2024, 07:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
These photos are great.

Underneath -- so are those skid plates fully covering the underside, replacing the black felt panels we all in our garden variety Deefers? (and if so are they plastic -- which is what they appear to be in pics, or metal, which is what I"d hope?)
Full aluminum skid plates underneath - they are just black instead of the silver on the central skid plate. However, on this prototype, they were plastic.

Last edited by CincyRovers; 07-26-2024 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2024, 10:25 AM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 98 Posts

I have no desire or need for a 130mph SVR Defender - but I am excited about the parts availability of things like the underbody armor, sill protectors and other parts. I hope that JLR gets Bowler up to speed selling these as standalone. Otherwise maybe the Chinese suppliers can just route copies to us via AliExpress - I'm disappointed that hasn't happened yet for the ANZ market roo bars.

Other alternative is to wait for the first rapper or Kardashian to wreck one a month or so after delivery and pick it up from Copart.

Old 07-26-2024, 10:43 AM
Mudding
Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 90
My D90X is limited to 99 mph due to the Duratracs; same as the OCTA; same roll over risk. PS I have never, nor do I intend to, approach 99 mph.
Same could be said for my E63S. I guess one could make a mess of a Skoda at low speed if not handled properly. The roll over warning sounds worthy. Where can I find one to study?
We have toll roads in Texas where you can legally drive 85 which means folks drive close to 95-100, including me at times. Now I don’t overland anything close to that speed but having the ability to do so without changing tires is nice.

Old 08-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Mudding

Here's a good video on the OCTA from Simon at Powerful UK. You can even see me in the background at the 15:04 mark lol.

wcc18999 (08-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Invitation to see the OCTA unveiling (and updates)