2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Invitation to see the OCTA unveiling (and updates)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 08:26 AM
Mudding
Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
Although I'm sure this will sell, JLR had to first pass over a more broadly desirable opportunity to correct their MASSIVE manufacturing error when they failed to put 18"s on the P400 - why not spend time on a successful "everyday" Defender? That would have gone to far greater # of sales than a "trophy" Defender like this. With 35" tires will it look a bit exaggerated? But no doubt probably awesome for sure. I see Wranglers similar and all I can think is "how's the extra wide tires with hydroplaning?" What folks don't want to tell senior JLR management is that Octa myopia kept JLR from making the P400 a grand slam with greater revenue potential. A 265/70/18 would make sooooo many Defender folks happy with tire choices in the aftermarket. Instead we get a trophy Defender few will ever likely challenge - or buy. If folks that buy it don't drive it much, how's the aftermarket sales at the dealership going to go? Swing and a miss IMO. Is it better than a G? I'd say so. But Mercedes doesn't sell alot of Gs each year, so JLR is limiting the buying pool. An 18" rim P400 would directly challenge the new GX/LC configurations (and win). Those will adopt 265/70/18, giving owners sooooooo many tire choices in the aftermarket. the GX & LC models are going to swamp the sales of Octa. why make a trophy SUV for a 1,000 customers when you can make a P400 and sell that to a pool of tens of thousands? The GX will have probably 70+ tire choices at that rim size. A 19" rim has about 6-8 tire choices (and it's not much better at the 20" rim). I love the idea of the Octa, and don't blame JLR for doing it. But it's the wrong time to do it. Making the right decision at the right time is a business decision, and preferring to make an academically awesome Octa before a practical everyday Defender is a business mistake IMO. JLR wasted effort today on imaginary drivers when they could have sold a Defender folks wanted to buy in the multiples of what the Octa will sell. GX/LC sales will ramp up in the years ahead, and JLR should have spent time on making the Defender a direct competitor with zero weak points (like intentionally using a rim that is not industry standard and leaves owners with few aftermarket tire choices. Fix current stupid before going all imaginary potential.... Lots of marketing suggests the GX OT is targeting Defender. But Defender is maybe 20,000/year. (only looking US). On the other hand Wrangler/Bronco are likely close to 200k/year in annual sales -and a GX targeting some of those owners that want a nicer drive on a daily basis is a much bigger market. Is the GX looking to "steal" 10% of Defender's market (what's that, 2,000 sales?) when it can try for 5% of Wrangler/Bronco owners that are ready for a nice cabin, quite drive, and still off road capable (that's 10,000 sales). If you've driven a Wrangler for a while you get it: off road awesome, but on road there's some trade-offs. The market for folks with those SUVs that may consider a trade-up is huge. Not having the correctly sized rim/tire for a P400 is a massive, flagrant, "Houston we have a problem" level manufacturing error - JLR (if they want to make money) should have focused on making money - fish in the pond where the fish are: at a 265/70/19, the pond is stocked. If you sell a trophy, it's going to stay in "park," and that won't generate as much in sales and service at dealerships, where they probably benefit more from daily drivers racking up mileage and thus needing service. At what point does JLR step back and wonder: "how about making a configuration everyone seems to want and has a huge pool of potential buyers, instead of a trophy SUV few can buy and likely fewer will use daily?" Great SUV, but crazy bad decision to think it was more important to manufacture an SUV like Octa than to fix a known problem in the P400, which is in a competitive space and about to be more so...
OCTA is a limited production vehicle. For the 25MY, they are only bringing 1000 units to the US, most of which have already been spoken for. If people are going to complain about wheel and tire choices, they should complain to corporate. If enough people do that, then there might be a chance they'll listen.

The following users liked this post:
curb-optional (06-20-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 09:39 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I live in an area similar to that of the original Defender designers - farm land, not many good roads, lots of gravel, fields and mud (although ag 101 is stay out of muddy fields). In my case you can add in cold and snow. The original designers may have heard of the Sierra Nevada Mountains but more than likely never visited the Rubicon trail; hence rock climbing was probably not a priority. Tire size seems to be the most emotional issue on the forums most comments are good and valid points and most from avid off-roaders (rock-climbers). Fair enough. But many of us want a dependable, utilitarian vehicle and the new defenders fits the bill with 18", 19" or 20" wheels (not sure about 22") are more than adequate. I have 19" Duratracs and they work well for my purpose. Of the 20,000 Defenders as reported above sold in the USA how many are used for rock climbing trails? For that matter how many OEM vehicles are really rock climbers without modifications (to include wheels and tires)?
Powerful UK has a video replacing rear brakes with different LR brakes (from the V8???) witch seem to work with 18" wheels.
Again I respect all the wheel comments and wonder why, like many of you, 18" wheels cannot be optioned. But I also think it has become an outsized issue. Also wonder why the front tow loop is not exposed which is a major fault in my opinion easily fixed and essential for off-roading or highway driving.
I look forward to my appointment in June for the OCTA release.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jim 90:
73matt (06-25-2024), CincyRovers (06-05-2024), Newbie01 (06-06-2024), The Phantom Menace (Yesterday)
Old 06-05-2024, 11:29 AM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 98 Posts

Front Underbody shield exposes the front tow loop and would be required for any serious off roading anyway.

Old 06-05-2024, 12:17 PM
Mudding

Agreed. But being from USA how many on-road recovery vehicle (I.e. tow truck) drivers will really now enough to remove the plastic undershield (it really isn’t that easy) to expose the tow loop when doing a recovery? Potential disaster if they don’t. Even bigger recovery issue if defender not running - locked wheels, etc. Whole recovery/towing/winching process is too complicated on or off road. I think they could simplify the process. Just a thought.

Old 06-05-2024, 12:43 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Jim 90
Agreed. But being from USA how many on-road recovery vehicle (I.e. tow truck) drivers will really now enough to remove the plastic undershield (it really isn’t that easy) to expose the tow loop when doing a recovery? Potential disaster if they don’t. Even bigger recovery issue if defender not running - locked wheels, etc. Whole recovery/towing/winching process is too complicated on or off road. I think they could simplify the process. Just a thought.
This is what I did to remedy this.

The following users liked this post:
curb-optional (06-20-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 12:59 PM
Mudding

Excellent. I went through this using good info on the forums and decided to have the LR undershield installed on both of my defenders. Total about $3,700 for the two. Still frustrated over it. Your solution was the way to go for me. I’m getting more courage up for working on the trim pieces. Thanks.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jim 90:
ba_ (06-05-2024), CincyRovers (06-05-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 11:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Any pictures of this upcoming beast anyone?

Old 06-24-2024, 11:45 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by EMV007
Any pictures of this upcoming beast anyone?
No, the official public debut is next Wednesday. JLR made people who were at the private reveal sign an NDA and they took all electronic devices.

Old 06-24-2024, 12:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,204 Likes on 649 Posts

Do we know what the glowing red "orb" switch is under the center of the steering wheel. Like a switch under the airbag?

Old 06-24-2024, 01:16 PM
v35
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I went on Friday and it was a great event. I liked the new model more than I thought I would. No photos allowed.

Quick Reply: Invitation to see the OCTA unveiling (and updates)