Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jump seat removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 09:47 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jump seat removal

I have a defender that is perfectly configured for me available but it has the jump seat which I’m not a fan of. Curious if anyone knows if it’s possible to replace with a standard console. Dealer wasn’t sure. Any ideas?

Old 10-08-2021, 08:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,244 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Eroverdover
I have a defender that is perfectly configured for me available but it has the jump seat which I’m not a fan of. Curious if anyone knows if it’s possible to replace with a standard console. Dealer wasn’t sure. Any ideas?
I already have the center console, but the pics I’ve seen lead me to believe it’s not that tough to remove. The challenge is likely to be sourcing the console. For a while there it seemed as if JLR was shipping them without. Check the prices to install them and source them first.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 10-08-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:09 AM
5th Gear

Yeah, i figured sourcing would be tough. Thanks for that info though, helpful to know it SEEMS possible!

Old 10-08-2021, 10:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,244 Likes on 741 Posts

@Eroverdover - my response was aimed at the challenge will be sourcing the parts for the console, not removing the jump seat. As @Mark1107 has already proven on this Forum, ANYTHING is possible. He installed an e-differential after delivery. That was legendary. I looked up the center front jump seat in TOPIx. It seems to be the typical PITA to remove it. From the steps listed, the trick appears to be to remove both of the other seats first (driver & passenger). And be VERY careful with the wiring harnesses because minor ones have been known to brick the Defenders when broken. Yeah it's crazy, I know.

Below is step 4 showing that the previous steps involved removing the outer seats. If you ask politely, I'm sure someone could send you the full steps.

Good luck on the removal and console install when you get the parts. I know that PowerfulUk is now sourcing some of the trim bits. You can get from them or maybe find the old ones from someone who upgraded to the wooden trim he sells.

If you go back to the Dealer, talk with the service folks. In their Workshop manual under 501-10 it will show them how to remove the middle seat and under 501-12 how to install the console. There are labor codes for all that and parts. They should be able to give you a quote.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 10-08-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 195 Likes on 112 Posts

Maybe just embrace it because it’s definitely a conversation piece and incredibly unique. I’d personally leave it as is.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:59 AM
5th Gear

I figured that on sourcing the console! I wouldnt be in a rush. This is awesome though, thank you for the help.

Old 10-08-2021, 12:48 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Maybe just embrace it because it’s definitely a conversation piece and incredibly unique. I’d personally leave it as is.
It definitely gets attention, just not functional at all for me. Although otherwise it's hard to resist as i really need something now, I might pass on it, someone else will love it, but it's so rare to see these things sit on lots and this one has been.

Old 10-08-2021, 01:07 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

When I went shopping for a Defender I told myself the one deal breaker was if it had the jump seat. And of course I ended up with a first edition that has the jump seat. Honestly, I actually really like it. I love the uniqueness of it and it hasn’t been nearly as inconvenient or uncomfortable as I expected. But of course totally reasonable for someone to prefer a console.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:30 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Eroverdover
Yeah, i figured sourcing would be tough. Thanks for that info though, helpful to know it SEEMS possible!
You could get a hold of that guy who's Defender was "totaled" after he backed into a pole in a parking garage and the repair cost was quoted at $42,000. Maybe he can sell you his center console.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 01:07 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I really want the jump seat. Let me know if you’re interested in selling it.

The following users liked this post:
gypsykali (10-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Jump seat removal