L663 Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 05:28 PM
JNH
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default L663 Suspension Noise

Hello Fellow L663 Enthusiasts,

I have a 2021 P400 110 with air suspension. Vehicle has a little over 17K on the clock and thus far has been fault free. Two weeks ago I noticed a low pitched, relatively soft clanking noise while in drive height. The noise occurs as the vehicle shifts its weight from side to side when traversing uneven ground, ie a grass field or bumpy road. This noise is most noticeable at low speeds (5-20mph) however it does occur at higher speeds, just not as noticeable because of tire and wind noise etc. The clanking only seems to occur when the vehicle is in its standard drive height. If the vehicle is in access height or Offroad height the noise doesn't occur. There are no suspension or other faults indicated on the dash or by OBD reader.

I did get under the vehicle to look for obvious issues, cracked linkages, broken shock reservoirs, damaged air bags, but nothing jumped out. I brought the vehicle into my local Land Rover dealer for service last week but they have not been able to diagnose the issue, yet.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for the potential cause or if you have experienced this issue and know the root cause any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for sharing your insight.

Last edited by JNH; 08-29-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JNH
Hello Fellow L663 Enthusiasts,

I have a 2021 P400 110 with air suspension. Vehicle has a little over 17K on the clock and thus far has been fault free. Two weeks ago I noticed a low pitched, relatively soft clanking noise while in drive height. The noise occurs as the vehicle shifts its weight from side to side when traversing uneven ground, ie a grass field or bumpy road. This noise is most noticeable at low speeds (5-20mph) however it does occur at higher speeds, just not as noticeable because of tire and wind noise etc. The clanking only seems to occur when the vehicle is in its standard drive height. If the vehicle is in access height or Offroad height the noise doesn't occur. There are no suspension or other faults indicated on the dash or by OBD reader.

I did get under the vehicle to look for obvious issues, cracked linkages, broken shock reservoirs, damaged air bags, but nothing jumped out. I brought the vehicle into my local Land Rover dealer for service last week but they have not been able to diagnose the issue, yet.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for the potential cause or if you have experienced this issue and know the root cause any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for sharing your insight.
You might have a broken electronic damper. Specifically, the shock shaft. Here are a couple threads that may (or may not) explain the sound you are hearing:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...ilures-112336/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...-1k-mi-117301/

Old 08-29-2023, 09:05 PM
JNH
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BC-2
You might have a broken electronic damper. Specifically, the shock shaft. Here are a couple threads that may (or may not) explain the sound you are hearing:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...ilures-112336/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...-1k-mi-117301/
Thank you! Very informative.

Old 09-08-2023, 07:54 PM
JNH
5th Gear

Quick update in case others experience a similar situation. JLR service was able to isolate the clanking noise coming from the right front corner of the vehicle. Turned out to be a broken outer ball joint on the lower forward control arm. They replaced both lower arms under warranty.

The following 4 users liked this post by JNH:
Can_Glu (04-13-2024), EasternShoreDefender (09-08-2023), GavinC (09-09-2023), WAFOX (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 01:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by JNH
Quick update in case others experience a similar situation. JLR service was able to isolate the clanking noise coming from the right front corner of the vehicle. Turned out to be a broken outer ball joint on the lower forward control arm. They replaced both lower arms under warranty.
Great info. Is this something that is easily visualized?

I'm getting a similar clunk on my drivers front. Was hoping it would go away. I'll have to arrange a dealer visit. Sigh!

Edit: Seems like the symptoms are textbook stuff for a broken ball joint.

Last edited by GavinC; 09-09-2023 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:44 AM
JNH
5th Gear

Gavin,

‘Unfortunately in my case it was not an obvious break and not easily seen on an initial visual inspection. Using chassis ears they were able to isolate the noise to the control arm and with the vehicle on a lift they located the ball joint that had failed. They may repair it at no charge if your vehicle is still under warranty.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by JNH
Gavin,

‘Unfortunately in my case it was not an obvious break and not easily seen on an initial visual inspection. Using chassis ears they were able to isolate the noise to the control arm and with the vehicle on a lift they located the ball joint that had failed. They may repair it at no charge if your vehicle is still under warranty.
thanks for the info.

yes it seems these can be tricky to spot but I’ve told them what to look for so hopefully they can figure it out.

it just was at the dealer having the crank case manifold recall part replaced. Supposedly the car got the once over and all was good suspension wise. The noise was there then so I guess it’s not a glaring issue to the eye.

less than 2 years old and 31k miles this should be a warranty item.
Hopefully my dealer agrees.

maybe it’s something else but what you describe and now what I’ve read makes me think it can’t be anything else.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:40 PM
JNH
5th Gear

Let me know what they find.