2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LC 200 comparison in your decision?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020 | 07:04 PM
|
Drifting
Default LC 200 comparison in your decision?

Wondering if any recent owners shopped the 200 as a alternative? I am having difficulty finding a defender without a 3rd row or with the off road options and wonder if I should drive a yota.
i really do like the P400 and not trying to start a flame. Just if anyone had looked at them. Older design to be sure, but the Heritage Edition does look nice..

Old 12-05-2020 | 09:03 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by rirealtor
Wondering if any recent owners shopped the 200 as a alternative? I am having difficulty finding a defender without a 3rd row or with the off road options and wonder if I should drive a yota.
i really do like the P400 and not trying to start a flame. Just if anyone had looked at them. Older design to be sure, but the Heritage Edition does look nice..
The LC is an awesome machine. You won’t get all the latest gadgets or computer screens everywhere but what you will get is one heck of a suv. They aren’t going to turn heads like a Defender but that isn’t why people buy them. They are an old school suv that has rock solid reliability and dependability. I’ve been in and around the LC Heritage Edition and if I had the means I would buy one in a second. Now, if gas mileage is a deciding factor, look elsewhere.

Last edited by stillruns; 12-05-2020 at 09:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MostDEF (03-17-2021)
Old 12-05-2020 | 11:20 PM
Rock Crawling

If you wouldn't buy a vehicle from 2009 for 2020 money.... look elsewhere. We test drove the lexus lx570 for kicks when shopping this summer... what laugh for the price. Choppy ride... junk 3rd row... and just outdated... it wasn't horrible by any means... just not close to competitive in the category of luxury that can actually offroad compared to rovers.

Old 12-06-2020 | 09:30 AM
|
Drifting

Stillruns- agreed; the interior of the defender is great; lot of electronics, yet keeping it a little utilitarian. I really like how it’s laid out. The 200 looks my old Audi. Just ok.My challenge is finding a defender w both off road packs as it seems like rear diff is a good option to have. The mileage might be comparable as I have seen some owners around here report 15 city? Your thoughts?
Texas- 2 yr old LC run north of 65k and new they are landing right about 85, depending on location and dealers. So fairly similar in price range to a new Defender. 3rd row on the Defender seemed awfully tight and not needed for me ( nor on LC) and i have heard that having the 3rd row means that the 2nd row does not lay flat? Any confirmation to that?
What off road items does it not have that Defender doesn’t? The approach angles are not as good to be sure; ground clearance is 2” less but that could be solved w lift.
Again- I’m leaning towards a Defender and not trying to be argumentative here, just curious.
thanks to you both for the responses and info!

Last edited by rirealtor; 12-06-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-06-2020 | 10:01 AM
Mudding

The LC was one of the 2 finalist when we purchased ours. We ordered our car, so we weren't concerned about what was in dealer stock. Like many have mentioned here, the Defender was so much nicer for the money. We bought a HSE hard loaded and the sticker was about the same as a Heritage Edition LC, but at the end of the day the LC felt a decade old brand new. It came down to the Toyota feeling like a decade old car and the Defender offering all of the modern features we have come to expect in a modern car.

Old 12-06-2020 | 11:05 AM
4wd Low

Funny this was a finalist for us too. I’ve owned LR through the years and contemplated a change with the LC but was disappointed with the lack of interior functionality. Yes the infotainment is fine, it’s the lack of USBs and the afterthought of a wireless charging “box” they added.
beautiful leather but not what I needed. It’s just a bit stale when you compare the functionality, utilitarian nature and improved tech in the defender.
Love the LC reliability but I never had problems with my several LRs to stray from the brand in the end.
also the rear jump seats, non heritage version, are confounding. We needed space and the jump seats are just in the way.
Rob

Old 12-06-2020 | 04:14 PM
Pro Wrench

For what it’s worth they are no longer importing the LC to the US after next year. It is a dated suv and for the price their are others to choose from. I am an old school suv person which is why I like them. It’s also why I enjoy riding around in my 22 year old D1 because it has a tape deck and ***** for the ac. The LC was luxury decades ago but by today’s standards it is basic. This is appealing though to those who own them. Also appealing is the reliability and availability to service them in your driveway or a local shop. Again, comparing it to a new Defender isn’t quite equal. The Defender is much more tech advanced and they have the latest bells and whistles. They also stand out in the crowd. It’s all personal preference. If you plan on driving your vehicle of choice for 10-15+ years, get the LC. If you get a new vehicle every 3-5 years get the Defender (Yea I said it, JLR reliability is still lacking) Both are awesome in their own right, get what makes you happy and drive on!

Last edited by stillruns; 12-06-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2020 | 05:08 PM
|
Drifting

Don, Retro- appreciate the insight/thoughts on the 200. Pricing seems to be about equal between the 2 and why drive old technology? I’m selling a 5 yr old Audi wagon and was briefly tempted by a go-fast Audi SUV, but the interior has some of same interior buttons and layout.
Still- love having something old school to tinker on! My 75 Wagoneer fits the Bill nicely. Tape and AC? Ha! It’s only an AM radio and vent windows for me!
It does seem like inventory is flowing now and hopeful the right one will pop up in next 2 weeks.

Old 12-06-2020 | 05:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TexasLandmark
If you wouldn't buy a vehicle from 2009 for 2020 money.... look elsewhere. We test drove the lexus lx570 for kicks when shopping this summer... what laugh for the price. Choppy ride... junk 3rd row... and just outdated... it wasn't horrible by any means... just not close to competitive in the category of luxury that can actually offroad compared to rovers.
I shopped the LC as well, just to confirm my inclination to prefer a new JLR product. I found it very disappointing that in North America I could not purchase a stripped down, focused off-road version (<65K dollars), for a reasonable price. Instead, only the fully stocked (+85K) version was offered.

Plus, I have never liked the way Toyota's drive. I have never owned one and suppose I will not -- am a more Honda / Nissan / Subaru Japanese car buyer -- not a Toyota person, I suppose.

Rirealtor: Yes, the third row in the Defender is a big compromise versus some other SUVs -- the room was sacrificed for the best-in-class off-road geometry. And yes, it appears from the several chains on this site that the second row on the three row version does not fold down flat.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 12-06-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2020 | 06:19 PM
Pro Wrench

What's so outdated about this?? She's a smokin' hot cheerleader!

Last edited by stillruns; 12-06-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: LC 200 comparison in your decision?