Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking lug nut key missing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 10:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Locking lug nut key missing

...so my 2021 P300 had a flat tire, a local tire shop had some replacement tires, so I drive to the shop and discover that there's no lug nut lock in the boot, glove box or center console.

@December I had my tires rotated at LRJ of Baton Rouge, so I call them up (they were super nice) and told them the lock key was missing. They say, we may not have used yours to rotate the tires, sometimes the cars ship without them. Anything's possible, so basically, but I'm stuck with a flat tire on my car. They want me to drive from New Orleans to Baton Rouge so they can match the key and order one. So I call my LRJ of NOLA (again, super nice), tell them the situation, and they agree to lend me a key so I can go to the tire shop and have the tires replaced. But when I get here this morning to pick it up, they've changed their minds and won't let the key out of the shop.

So I ask them to put the spare on for me, so I can drive to BR and see if they have the lug nut key. I'm sure the tire change won't be free, and I've been here more than an hour already. Awesome.

Beware. Make sure you have yours. Luckily, I discovered the missing key while I was home instead of on the road.

The following users liked this post:
LRDEF2LR (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 12:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Hey @brydup - I couldn't find my (and wasn't really looking) until I pulled the styro foam out from under the load space so I could look in the tub area. I pulled it out to test size a custom storage plan. I also wanted to see the MHEV "gear". Anyway, when I pulled it out, the key fell out of a deep tool recess that was NOT the one where the key was supposed to be. I didn't even know they were locked until then. Early on I switched the lugs to "standard" because I wanted them black. I am NOT a fan of locked wheels. You are far less likely to lose your wheels where I live than to have your catalytic converter cut out. So, it's just not worth the PITA every time. So, take the styrofoam out and up end it first.

Since then I got a wheel set (Evo Corse DakarZero) that have custom deep lug nuts. It isn't that they are "locking" so much that they need a special "deep" lug socket. As a result, I did EXACTLY what you suggested. I now have a lug socket in my toolbox with the air sockets, in the glovebox AND in the boot. I'm hoping I don't lose them all. Then again it's a crying shame that I can't find any of the several pairs of glasses that I own sometimes....

Old 04-28-2022, 12:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

My 2022 X-Dynamic SE 400 with the 5094 wheels only has one locking lugnut, on the spare. I’ve removed several times so I have the key where I know to look for it. I’m not a fan of lockers at all either. But it probably makes sense on the spare, as that’s an easy one to steal.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah, I went back through the foam again, no luI was talking to the boss (my wife) and suggested that maybe we do away with the lockers altogether, I said, "when's the last time you saw a car on cinder blocks because someone stole the tires?" She said, "maybe we don't see it because everyone has locks." Hard to argue.

I'm going to contact JLR and see if they can id which locker I need from my VIN, but still have to drive an hour to BR to find out if they have it.

FWIW, I'd never used the jack in the boot, it still had the ziptie on it. Apparently they used it to change the tire, so now I hear the crow bar rattle, gonna ziptie it back.

Updates as they become available.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

My neighbor with a 2021 110 X-dynamic didn't get the locking wheel nut key when he bought his from the local dealer. We took apart his trunk floor (5 seater so no seats) and it wasn't floating underneath the plastic/styrofoam tool holders either which was my initial thought. (Did it fall down below in other words? ).

BTW mine has 2 locks on the spare, and 1 on each wheel. His is the same.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:44 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same thing happen on my E63s wagon, similar to you, the tire went flat in my garage so is wasn't stuck anywhere. The car only had about 1k miles on it at the time, so it was definitely forgotten by the Germans at the factory. And people pick on JLR quality...

Old 04-28-2022, 03:42 PM
Mudding
Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by brydup
Yeah, I went back through the foam again, no luI was talking to the boss (my wife) and suggested that maybe we do away with the lockers altogether, I said, "when's the last time you saw a car on cinder blocks because someone stole the tires?" She said, "maybe we don't see it because everyone has locks." Hard to argue.

I'm going to contact JLR and see if they can id which locker I need from my VIN, but still have to drive an hour to BR to find out if they have it.

FWIW, I'd never used the jack in the boot, it still had the ziptie on it. Apparently they used it to change the tire, so now I hear the crow bar rattle, gonna ziptie it back.

Updates as they become available.
There are constant stolen wheels in the DC area, but they seem to go after the most common vehicles - new Civics seem to be a hot commodity. The police even suggested parking close to the curb and leaving the wheels turned to make it harder on the thieves. The Defender is probably low on the theft list, though. How many people are looking for Defender wheels to buy?

All that being said, I'm glad I saw this thread... didn't realize there was any sort of locking lugs. I need to check into that before leaving on my road trip.

LRDEF2LR (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 04:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Just spec 19" alloys and sleep easy.

D-Fens (04-28-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 09:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

I agree it doesn't seem like wheel theft is "a thing" these days... however on my last service visit to Land Rover Portland, they had a car that had been towed in (a very nice looking 2020 ish Range Rover sport Autiobiography) with all 4 wheels removed that was sitting on the brake discs. So apparently it does happen

Old 04-29-2022, 12:54 PM
Three Wheeling

So I contacted LRJ, they pulled my VIN and said my car didn't ship from the factory with locking lug nuts; think they were added at the dealership post production. Called LR - Cary in Raleigh, NC where we bought it. Kept the window sticker and went through the features, no locks listed. Sheesh. Probably just have the dealership leave the locks off for my vacation, then decide whether I want need them when I get back.

Quick Reply: Locking lug nut key missing