2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a cargo area protection solution for a new 130....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 09:33 AM
Mudding
Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Looking for a cargo area protection solution for a new 130....

I know what I'm looking for probably doesn't exist. But looking for either outfits to contact for something custom, something OR other creative options.

Looking for an all weather cargo mat/cover for the 130. I've not been able to find anything myself.... but... does anyone know of a solution for some sort of all weather mat or something tough enough to cover up the back of this third row when its down? I can't seem to find something that does anything more than cover just the small section closest to the door.

I would love for it to be all one piece, but if it has to be like the stuff I've seen for the 110 where it just attaches to the back of each seat I can live with that. End of the day I'm just trying to protect the carpet on the back of each seat. Ideally in one piece so sand/dirt does not fall through the cracks between the seats.

Bonus if I can find something that also covers up the back of the mid row seats too.

I've seen someone say that JLR will make a mat for the 130 Outbound. But the challenge there is that the Outbound should have a completely flat floor, unlike mine. I do hope that I'll be able to retro fit something (whatever is going on under the carpet there to end up with a flat floor too some day. But for now, This seems like a tall/impossible order.

Any one? Hoping to cover the red circled following area:

Last edited by starbai; 05-23-2023 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I would desperately like this exact same thing for my 130 - I’ll keep an eye out!

Old 05-23-2023, 02:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 05-23-2023, 03:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ryane26vt
Yeap but only LR supported is the evoque.

Old 05-23-2023, 03:20 PM
Mudding

So it turns out that for 2024 The 130s (even with the 3rd row) Is going to get a flat load floor.

I'm trying to figure out how they did this. My guess is the 'package tray' which is currently just a cover for the spare tire tools, will become a sort of box that sits on top and either offers its own storage or just makes the area above the tire tools taller for more storage. I'm hoping I can retrofit something of that sort so that it becomes a flat load floor.

Then perhaps the cargo mat for the Outbound 130s (no 3rd row seat) will work.

In the mean time I've bought this cheap mat that I can throw over at least the raised portion, and the lower portion can continue to be protected by the OEM cargo liner.
Amazon Amazon

If It cannot be retrofitted, I may consider getting a car audio shop that is experienced in building subwoofer boxes to build me an empty box to these dimensions and cover it in black carpet so it looks good but is empty/hollow inside for storage.

Last edited by starbai; 05-23-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:17 PM
Overlanding
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by starbai
Yeap but only LR supported is the evoque.
i should have added - I was thinking along the lines of ordering one for a Chevy Suburban, Ford Expedition etc. given the dimensions are probably similar enough to make it work.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:59 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by starbai
So it turns out that for 2024 The 130s (even with the 3rd row) Is going to get a flat load floor.

I'm trying to figure out how they did this. My guess is the 'package tray' which is currently just a cover for the spare tire tools, will become a sort of box that sits on top and either offers its own storage or just makes the area above the tire tools taller for more storage. I'm hoping I can retrofit something of that sort so that it becomes a flat load floor.

Then perhaps the cargo mat for the Outbound 130s (no 3rd row seat) will work.

In the mean time I've bought this cheap mat that I can throw over at least the raised portion, and the lower portion can continue to be protected by the OEM cargo liner.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078XD15L9

If It cannot be retrofitted, I may consider getting a car audio shop that is experienced in building subwoofer boxes to build me an empty box to these dimensions and cover it in black carpet so it looks good but is empty/hollow inside for storage.

Looks like someone beat me to this. And that's great, proves that my idea makes sense. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to build with the curves. I can do boxes but the curves he put in this box is beyond my skillset. Gotta see if I can get a shop to do it. Also going to contact PowerfulUK and see if they could get someone to begin to produce something like this...

Again not my work or my pictures, so I don't have many details just the pics. Idea being that once this is done, getting a mat originally designed perhaps for the Defender 130 Outbound will likely work.

The following 2 users liked this post by starbai:
LVAN (05-24-2023), WAFOX (05-24-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 10:36 AM
Mudding

Well, until the 2024s are more prevalent and I can get a better sense of what to do parts wise to update the floor, this is my ~$50 solution from amazon. Trim to fit mat. Its not perfect but it'll do the job for now!

The following users liked this post:
MattF (05-30-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 12:12 PM
Mudding

So. Apparently 2024 130s are shipping right now and do not have the flat load floor.. Someone else chimed in and said that was 'late availability' - so the wait continues. I sure do hope that whatever it is is something I can retrofit in the future to my 2023.5130.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:24 AM
Drifting
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

We ordered the 130 to replace a 2006 Toyota Landcruiser, but quite frankly the folded 3rd row of the Defender makes the cargo area just about useless. Not only is there a “ledge”, the folded 3rd row slopes towards the rear, so anything put back there wants to roll over or slide backwards. In my opinion it’s a huge fail and, after parting with $92,000, makes me want to engage in physical violence.

The Landcruiser has the odd flip-up 3rd row, but the cargo floor is flat and solid enough to transport an engine block if needed. Need more room? Pull a lever and those flip-up seats are removable. Far…far more useful.

Last edited by JBelt01; 10-06-2023 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a cargo area protection solution for a new 130....