2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR Newbie - 110 Defender on Tugela ship!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 08:38 AM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAPC
My brother in law was in Baltimore last week and said that he saw Defenders of every shape and size in port, being unloaded and getting ready for transport!
Hi MAPC!! That would have been a sight to see! Jealous!! If I lived closer to Baltimore, I would have been down there myself to live in the excitement!

Last edited by MsFendy85; 09-27-2022 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Incorrect name
Old 09-27-2022, 09:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

sadly haven't gotten a ship name, supposed to be coming in through Georgia any minute now, due first week of october. hope that sticks as I got my financing all lined up. not looking forward to paying for gas again (been electric for five years) but looking forward to learning to offroad and have some outdoors fun again.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:01 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Trekkie
sadly haven't gotten a ship name, supposed to be coming in through Georgia any minute now, due first week of october. hope that sticks as I got my financing all lined up. not looking forward to paying for gas again (been electric for five years) but looking forward to learning to offroad and have some outdoors fun again.
Hi Trekkie! Maybe its Tugela as she left the Port of Baltimore this morning and is headed to the Savannah port. I attached a photo of her current location. Ask your agent at the dealership for your ship name. This far along in the process, you should have a ship name.

I got the greenlight yesterday to get my financing in place, so really excited now because then that will make it REALLY real!😁

How was electric? I asked my agent if LR had any intentions of making an electric Defender and his response was not that he had heard of for the foreseeable future. To me, I'd be lining up for an electric Defender if one were to come to existence. I'm ready to enjoy this Defender, as it'll be my first LR, but no harm in planning for the next one huh? 🤣

Old 09-27-2022, 11:54 AM
Received 177 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't live too far from the Chesapeake & Delaware canal, the conduit which ships coming from Europe will often travel towards Baltimore. If anyone knows when their ship is traveling up the Delaware River towards then canal let me know and I'll try to take a picture!

Old 09-27-2022, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

I love electric, and was really hoping for a 2023 Rivian R1S but it'll be a year or more before ours is here.

I have four kids, so we've owned 5 electric cars since 2017. on our 'second' generation of electric cars, the first two were a Bolt EV and a Fiat 500. The Fiat was my 'teach kids to drive' car, we bought it used for like $7000. was a great 'keep the kids from being dumb' car that only got 80 miles or so per charge, so they could do stuff around town and not get away. I commuted in my bolt for 3 years and it was a great car. Now I have a Polestar 2 for my daily driver, and my family car was a model x. Someone offered us more than I paid for it back in June so I sold it and started looking for a replacement and here I am.

Wanted to tow around 8000 lbs max, and the Defender was the only SUV that fit that bill. From what I've read there is a PHEV version in Europe that does like 20 miles on electric and then switches to gas. Those were neat 10 years ago. I think Electrics are great for road trips, tent camping, etc. But if you tow the range drops quite a bit and even a 300 mile battery becomes a 110-125 mile battery. With gas cars it's not a big deal because gas stations are everywhere, so halving your mileage is no biggie, but with EV chargin so sparse at around 175 miles apart on our big highways that makes towing a bit too adventurous for me

I'm hoping by 2025-2027 we'll either have greener sources of solid state hydrogen and use fuel cell trucks that are electric motors or the charging infrastructure will start to fill out, or a combination of the two. But nothing beats a silent car out in a field. you hear animals, crunching of the ground you're driving over, and that's it. The lack of motor noise is amazing out there in nature.

This is my first Land Rover product, so hoping for a smooth ownership experience. You can find lots of people saying they're unreliable but people said that about our Tesla and I had two service calls in three years, and that's the same I had for an Audi, a Toyota, a Ford, etc. So didn't seem any worse for what we do.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:23 AM
4wd Low
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...ote=1&p=839733

Treekie, Here is Tugela arriving in Savannah right now. I hope your ship has come in. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Trekkie (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 11:30 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Trekkie
I love electric, and was really hoping for a 2023 Rivian R1S but it'll be a year or more before ours is here.

I have four kids, so we've owned 5 electric cars since 2017. on our 'second' generation of electric cars, the first two were a Bolt EV and a Fiat 500. The Fiat was my 'teach kids to drive' car, we bought it used for like $7000. was a great 'keep the kids from being dumb' car that only got 80 miles or so per charge, so they could do stuff around town and not get away. I commuted in my bolt for 3 years and it was a great car. Now I have a Polestar 2 for my daily driver, and my family car was a model x. Someone offered us more than I paid for it back in June so I sold it and started looking for a replacement and here I am.

Wanted to tow around 8000 lbs max, and the Defender was the only SUV that fit that bill. From what I've read there is a PHEV version in Europe that does like 20 miles on electric and then switches to gas. Those were neat 10 years ago. I think Electrics are great for road trips, tent camping, etc. But if you tow the range drops quite a bit and even a 300 mile battery becomes a 110-125 mile battery. With gas cars it's not a big deal because gas stations are everywhere, so halving your mileage is no biggie, but with EV chargin so sparse at around 175 miles apart on our big highways that makes towing a bit too adventurous for me

I'm hoping by 2025-2027 we'll either have greener sources of solid state hydrogen and use fuel cell trucks that are electric motors or the charging infrastructure will start to fill out, or a combination of the two. But nothing beats a silent car out in a field. you hear animals, crunching of the ground you're driving over, and that's it. The lack of motor noise is amazing out there in nature.

This is my first Land Rover product, so hoping for a smooth ownership experience. You can find lots of people saying they're unreliable but people said that about our Tesla and I had two service calls in three years, and that's the same I had for an Audi, a Toyota, a Ford, etc. So didn't seem any worse for what we do.
Wow!! That sounds amazing! I really think that overall, it'll be a great thing for the environment for more cars to become electric and phase out the the gas powered vehicles.

I think the only thing I worry about, and it's based purely on lack of knowledge and information on the electric vehicles as to how and where they charge, are in fact road trips or longer travel. With them not being as common, how do you plan a trip to accommodate charging times and more so, WHERE the charging stations are since they don't appear every few miles like a normal gas station does? That's always made me wonder, but I still like and appreciate the idea and promise of electric vehicles.

I too have seen the comments about the LRs being unreliable, but of course I saw that AFTER I had already confirmed my order. I've also heard on the flip side that they're very reliable and last for decades sometimes and you can ride them till the wheels fall off. Of COURSE, I'm hoping for the latter since this will be my first. I'll be trading in a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, to which I was told was also unreliable, but the largest repair came earlier this year when the transmission started to go. So knowing I'd be using it as my trade in for the 110, I decided to put in a new transmission as a means to hold its value. I bought her brand new off the lot with 5mi on her, yet now here in 2022, in about 2wks I'll be trading her in and she STILL isn't at 100k miles. I checked yesterday and she's at 98120. I didn't own any other Jeep models previously, as she was my first, but I have to say, she shocked me and was a good little car that lasted. I'm sure I'll tear up a bit when they take her keys, but she's had a GREAT run and I'll be sad to leave her behind.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:33 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by MikeCt
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...ote=1&p=839733

Treekie, Here is Tugela arriving in Savannah right now. I hope your ship has come in. Good luck.

These are AWESOME photos!! Thanks for sharing these Mike!! My 110 was already unloaded by the time Tugela arrived in Savannah, but still exciting to see!!

Old 10-08-2022, 02:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default For those waiting on the west coast

Tugela passing through the Panama Canel yesterday.

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (10-08-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 12:49 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by MikeCt
Tugela passing through the Panama Canel yesterday.

AGAIN MikeCt, these photos are awesome!! I got my official pick up date for this Thurs, 13Oct, but even though she's already at the dealership, I STILL enjoy seeing photos of Tugela. Is that weird?!🤣🤣

Quick Reply: LR Newbie - 110 Defender on Tugela ship!