Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky8 sliders -- worth every penny and pound

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 02:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Lucky8 sliders -- worth every penny and pound

I took to a new place in the wet and muddy mountains nearby for a couple of days to test methodically the Terrain Response 2 settings in various conditions. However, upon arrival we found (spouse and dogs) ourselvfes integrated within a Toyota owner's club day out in a very vertical, mud-ruts slog for several hours. They had been there before, so I they nicely invited us to tag along.

The line-up mid-way up and down the mountain. I was in mud ruts, Lo range, off-road height, DSC off for all day, except the first 10 minutes on Auto -- before I needed momentum.

Lots of slide slipping all day -- a fellow hit a stick on his rim which lodged wood in his bead. Had to air down, clean out and air back up.

I was aired down 20 psi to 27 rear and 24 front riding on the OEM Goodyear A/Ts . Did not know the trail, so did not go lower.

The verticals were deep mud ruts at 25-30 degrees above horizontal with 90 turns throughout. Something I would have not counted on my LR4 to accomplish. Wow, the Defender is a fine fine tool -- it was really really capable! The Toyotas did well, too. Only one fellow had to be winched. I almost did too, but after the 8th increase (last time attempt) in throttle application the Defender got through.

The day was a full on test of the Lucky8 Sliders. The camber of the hill and the location of the ruts ruled vehicle direction. More than a couple of slider supported pirrouettes around tree stumps and big roots were necessary. They were everything expected and more. The vehicle would have been severly damaged at the sills without them.

The vehicle's next need is a guard for the rear differential -- and some better tires (of course). On one deeply rutted section the rear diff. shaved an inch of mud off the top of the center of the track --- I avoided rocks all day for this reason.

Then we aired back up and drove very comfortably (enjoying the fully planted ride which the winch and sliders provide) for several hours to reach home !