Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky8 Winch Tray Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 06:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
What wheels you plan on putting under there?
Amazon find with the right specs. But it’s not known yet whether it will fit around the small rear brakes. Will be testing Wednesday. Rim is not out of round in first pic — just a camera angle thing.

If those don’t fit in the rear with the new brakes (I only have one so no biggie), I’ll go with these: (OEM steelies painted black, a la Trek Edition.)

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (10-27-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 08:06 PM
Mudding
Received 136 Likes on 68 Posts

@TrioRowner

Thanks for the feedback on the Ruel winch, I was not aware of the pusher fan and the potential that it may not fit due to that. I have reached out to check with them on the fitment for a P400 and also if there are any challenges due to the OEM skid plate. They do show fitting with Red Winch and Warn however there are no specifics on the Warn type. Seems that the explorer II may be the Red Winch fitment.

If this one will fit the P400 I plan to try it out.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts
Default very useful photos for winch install clearance

gurka01:

I expect the EU winch installs will be on 4 cyl. Diesel powered Defenders -- which do not have a pusher fan.

There are some terrific photos in the attached thread of the pusher fan in the P400, including some post installation of the OEM winch tray.

The OEM winch tray extrudes beyond the front of the bumper in order to make room for the fan.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...ll-bar-103185/

first of several useful photos in the attached thread

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 10-26-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:05 AM
Mudding

Thanks TrioLRowner
I had a few pics last night and sent them off to Ruel to check on fitment and they confirmed they have installed it on a number of P400s with no issues and that is fits well between the bumper and pusher fan. I am still not 100% there yet but getting closer.

Will update if I hear more

TrioLRowner (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 03:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Amazon find with the right specs. But it’s not known yet whether it will fit around the small rear brakes. Will be testing Wednesday. Rim is not out of round in first pic — just a camera angle thing.

If those don’t fit in the rear with the new brakes (I only have one so no biggie), I’ll go with these: (OEM steelies painted black, a la Trek Edition.)

Well, I finally tracked down the weight spec on the steel wheel above (the first one, from Amazon). Sadly, only 1250 per corner, and with a P400 D110 weighing 5035 wet, before people and gear, that’s a definite no-go. So I have five of the LK8 OEM blacks on the way. I’m leaning towards 265/70-18 Ridge Grapplers, but final decision isn’t made yet. I’ll be running 25mm spacers that I already have, unless I find that 30s are required (LK8 has only tested with 30mm.) I have 1.5” lift rods as well, but would like to only install them once I get out west (from Atlanta) rather than all the time.

These wheels/spacers will be installed only for long overlanding trips out west; will continue to run the 20” OEM setup around the southeast.

Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
GrouseK9 (10-27-2021), TrioLRowner (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 07:34 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
4x4Dave and Gurka01:

This winch is out of a supplier in the EU -- it just came on the market and no one on this forum has shared their experience with it, to my recollection.

There are a couple of things I would confirm before considering it:

1) depth of the winch tray -- it looks a bit less deep than the OEM and Lucky8 trays, and may be designed for a specific EU winch. The Warn OEM winch just fit into the depth of the OEM tray (which was designed for the Warn?). Also check the mounting hole locations to ensure your winch will fit. The width looks similar to the Lucky8 tray, so may also not accomodate the wi-fi winch (which I think is an unnecessary complication, but others may feel otherwise).

2) I suspect this install may not work with the V8 or potentially the P400, as both (may?) have a pusher cooling fan mounted in front of the primary radiator (not behind it). Something important to check on. (I suspect, looking at the picture, there is not enough room).

3) The mounting to the vehicle, width, location and overall approach is very similar to the Lucky8 winch tray. I am looking forward to hearing from a Lucky8 user how low is cut the front of that tray - this EU version being flat at the bottom is an interesting (and maybe less stiff -- for good or ill) approach?

What we need is someone in the EU to purchase this one and share their experience, hopefully.

-----------------------------------

The question was asked earlier as to why the bumper is just not replaced with an ARB one and the winch moved to it -- similar to on a Toyota Forerunner, etc.

Sarek has successfully tackled the task and the picture on this new EU winch installation is very helpful to show the challenges of trying to replicate what the OEM bumper accomplishes:

1) light weight -- Sarek's first bumper was Steel, their second Aluminum. As noted in other comments the weight may make a difference in how the sporty, zoom-zoom Defender drives.

2) Only one hard point for mounting anything up front, which is not even actually at the front of the vehicle. You can see the only structural point of contact able to carry a metal bumper or a winch or anything else which is not plastic -- it is the eight bolts (3 visible in the photo) back into the vehicle -- basically > foot away from the OEM front of the vehicle. NOT similar to a CJ - derived Jeep, certainly.

3) Electronic functioning -- the OEM bumper houses in specific locations all the cameras and sensors. A very compelling reason to keep the OEM bumper.

4) Carry-throughs which consume the bumper planform area -- the license plate; fog lamps; cooling for brakes for zoom-zoom driving (you see it on the left of the photo); cooling for up to two added, substantial radiators (you see this Defender has one on the right of the photo -- mine has two, one on each side); and the headlights, which as a % of the front planform are quite greedy of space.

5) Aesthetics - the curviness of the bumper as it approaches aft towards the front wheels and suspension closes down the useable space behind it (drastically) in service of supporting the look of the vehicle -- unlike many truck frame 4x4s. My look at the comparative compactness of suspensions suggests the idea that the very creative design of the front suspensions (very very compact) helps the designers get away from the flat-front look of previous Off-road capable vehicles -- which loses for us the dead space normally available for customization.

Enjoy !
Thought I would post a quick update. I ordered the tray from the EU and just installed it into a P400. Was definitely a tight fit but came out looking good. Putting the Defender back together but here are a few photos

The following 2 users liked this post by gurka01:
mopadzi (01-12-2022), TrioLRowner (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Gurka01:

Thanks so much for sharing your photos and progress. I am very happy the installation worked out !! It looks great.

If you plan to use the winch often (and in trying envirommental conditions), my only suggestion is you may want to cut away (or hinge a flap maybe?) a hole to access the spool of the winch (below the camera eye and above the fairlead) in order to use your hand to ensure the rope lay is untwisted when you wind it in -- and to replace the rope when needed.

Enjoy !!

Old 01-06-2022, 12:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@NoGaBiker - What did you eventually land with? What tire (and size); which spacer size (25 vs 30); and, permanent lift (what size) or not? With all that, the obligatory - is there any rubbing!

If that didn't wear you out: post pics!!

Mucho gracias!

TrioLRowner (01-06-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 03:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 433 Likes on 202 Posts

[QUOTE=gurka01;807015]Thought I would post a quick update. I ordered the tray from the EU and just installed it into a P400. Was definitely a tight fit but came out looking good. Putting the Defender back together but here are a few photos

I will visit Reul Sport tomorrow for picking up my winch tray. Will make a write up on installing this with a Warn VR Evo 12S.
With my D90 P300 no interference with the pusher fan I suppose.
Still not sure what part to cut out for cooling.

The following 2 users liked this post by Defendit..:
Bigwood (01-11-2022), TrioLRowner (01-11-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 433 Likes on 202 Posts

Picked up my winchtray today, together with a hawse fairlead and flatlink, need to collect some 0 awg cables for relocation the relay box.
Led High Beams will also be mounted the same time.

The following 4 users liked this post by Defendit..:
Bigwood (01-12-2022), GrouseK9 (01-12-2022), gurka01 (01-13-2022), TrioLRowner (01-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Lucky8 Winch Tray Install