Sponsored by:

Lucky8 Winch Tray Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 09:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Question on radiator flap removal

Defendit ..

There are two sets of electrically accuated flaps in front of the primary radiator - upper and lower.

You will need to cut out the bottom set. The instructions are in PowerfulUKltd video on the winch install. As well, you can see the result in this picture of the Reul install. I suppose if you are doing the work yourself, you will need to follow other instructions which I noted in my time sequenced thread on this topic.

If you read and study that bit, and use the instructions and videos from PowerfulUKltd. all should work well.

Plus, I assume that Reul has enclosed instructions?

lower flaps have been removed behind the winch

Old 01-13-2022, 11:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

looking at that photo, it appears to me that that leaves the radiator "exposed" to flying rock damage on the highway. I am considering adding a thin metal screen behind the winch but infant of the radiator. any thoughts?

Old 01-13-2022, 11:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Bigwood:

Once the bumper goes on, you should be ok with out a screen, I think?

But, I am not one to under kill a concern -- certainly do as you wish . Enjoy !!

This is the reul with the lower portion of the bumper reinstalled.

Old 01-13-2022, 12:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was thinking about removing the screen (or part of it) in front of the winch to allow access to the winch itself. I have the warn which has a plug in for the controller and the clutch. Does your screen remove?

Old 01-13-2022, 01:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Man, I would never want a setup that doesn't give any field access to the winch itself. I've had to wrestle with crossed line on the drum before, and it's always hard even when you can easily get your hands on it, as was the case with my Jeep.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Same here on the importance of hand access as NoGaBiker.

I cut away the front plastic on my install of the factory tray (and did not finish the front off much at all) -- mine is a pure worker; And NoGaBiker has very nice removal screws of the cover on his Lucky8 installation.

Worth a look in these threads to see ....

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
And NoGaBiker has very nice removal screws of the cover on his Lucky8 installation.

Worth a look in these threads to see ....
I'm happy with being able to cover the winch (aesthetics) plus remove the cover in 20 seconds or so. LK8 did a great job on the new design. It's still not much access to the rope, not compared to steel-bumper mounted winches, but it's better than nothing.

Before I installed an aftermarket steel bumper on the Jeep I had my Warn mounted on top of the OEM bumper. Now THAT was easy access.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 01-13-2022 at 02:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
Bigwood (01-13-2022), warkeld (02-04-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 06:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 433 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Defendit ..

There are two sets of electrically accuated flaps in front of the primary radiator - upper and lower.

You will need to cut out the bottom set. The instructions are in PowerfulUKltd video on the winch install. As well, you can see the result in this picture of the Reul install. I suppose if you are doing the work yourself, you will need to follow other instructions which I noted in my time sequenced thread on this topic.

If you read and study that bit, and use the instructions and videos from PowerfulUKltd. all should work well.

Plus, I assume that Reul has enclosed instructions?

lower flaps have been removed behind the winch
Thx for the info TrioLRowner.
Yes Reul did supply an instruction booklet.
My Install will be a little bit more complex with the 90mm NCC 3rd gen Led High Beams left and right
Also want some access in case of a twisted line and strugeling with the numberplate.

impression of the High Beam recessed

Nolden NCC 3rd gen High Beam with Indicator and position light (ring)

​​​​​

Last edited by Defendit..; 01-13-2022 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Can you provide the model # of those Nolden lamps? Been looking for something very similar - I can't seem to find them.

Old 01-14-2022, 06:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 433 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Can you provide the model # of those Nolden lamps? Been looking for something very similar - I can't seem to find them.
Did a long search for 90mm High Beams which should be complementairy to the front design.
My inspiration came from a picture in a small add placed on a Dutch marketplace, render/study from Heritage.
Looking for the depth and the free space to recess in the grille this model should fit best. ( the Hella's 90mm are to short behind the lens)

​​​​​​Pricing varies a lot for this set, send me a PM and I provide you my supplier - ( wholesale pricing)

https://www.noldengmbh.de/files/date...21.pdf#page=32

90903L-FPB-1-C-C. Page 32

Quick Reply: Lucky8 Winch Tray Install