2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky8 Winch Tray Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 04:24 AM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

Working on that !, I want to keep the grille original as possible.
Research on soms hinges, clips

The following users liked this post:
Bigwood (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 07:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 644 Likes on 212 Posts

Not a simple task to get a proper winch bumper on the front of a new defender. Incorpoating the factory crush (sacrificial) cans into the design for some level of protection during a crash. Maintaining the front camera, radar and park sensor operation. Keeping the factory or aftermarket fog lamps. Keeping the design as light as possible while maintaining strength using aluminum. Relocating those low hanging additional radiators from in front of the wheels to gain approach and also not losing any approach angle by high mounted winch and the exposed factory recovery point is now the starting point of the approach. Building in skid guarding for protection without restricting air flow. Incorpoating a modular design to allow for easier fitment. I am sure there will be some production aftermarket bumpers like ARB soon since there is a demand. We are currently working on our 4th one on these so its just a matter of time. The hidden winch market will be the most popular and cost effective approach to adding a winch. The factory JLR setup will provide crash and pedesrian impact testing, so it will be the safest. It is also located in a compromised location for any off road use. It will load up with mud and will be hard to access when nosed into a precarious spot. And as mentioned, it is harder to service and harder to see the drum to spool the line easily. Either way is a compromise and some countries you are limited with legality of a winch bumper. The good news is that there are more and more choices becoming available, so there will be an option for almost every new defender owner.

The following 3 users liked this post by sarek:
Defendit.. (01-23-2022), GrouseK9 (01-24-2022), TrioLRowner (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 05:16 PM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

Connected the wiring loom today , according the video from Lazer lights. High Beams go over an relay for trigger 12v ( purple/Orange)
Low Beam ( blue/green) direct 12v to position lights.

So with the Low Beams on, the auxilairy position lights work flawless. With DRL nothing, must be a canbus thing I suppose.

Last edited by Defendit..; 01-27-2022 at 03:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Defendit..:
mopadzi (01-26-2022), TrioLRowner (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 07:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Sarek that is absolutely the sexiest car bumper and winch on any vehicle I have ever seen. HECK YES -- the green car.
There are so many things I want to do to my Defender... !!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
sarek (01-25-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 03:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Sarek that is absolutely the sexiest car bumper and winch on any vehicle I have ever seen. HECK YES -- the green car.
There are so many things I want to do to my Defender... !!!!!!
I thought it looked pretty damn good in the first picture -- neat and sleek and tucked up against the nose of the car. But that was from a drone angle that people would rarely see it from. The lower shots make it look like a huge, cumbersome structure grafted onto the front of the otherwise sleek and aero 663. I was disappointed by that.

In the end, I'd need to see it in real life to decide whether I like the looks or not. Functionally, it seems like a fantastic product, but honestly, if I were going to be doing the sorts of offroading that warranted that much protection, I'd have kept my Jeep, which has a thousand bumper/winch-plate/winch options that work on it, as well as tires sizes a new LR can only dream about.

Old 01-26-2022, 03:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I thought it looked pretty damn good in the first picture -- neat and sleek and tucked up against the nose of the car. But that was from a drone angle that people would rarely see it from. The lower shots make it look like a huge, cumbersome structure grafted onto the front of the otherwise sleek and aero 663. I was disappointed by that.

In the end, I'd need to see it in real life to decide whether I like the looks or not. Functionally, it seems like a fantastic product, but honestly, if I were going to be doing the sorts of offroading that warranted that much protection, I'd have kept my Jeep, which has a thousand bumper/winch-plate/winch options that work on it, as well as tires sizes a new LR can only dream about.

You are welcome to see it in action anytime. I will be at multiple events this year including one in Maine, texas colorado,, NC VA

Old 01-26-2022, 03:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In the end, I'd need to see it in real life to decide whether I like the looks or not. Functionally, it seems like a fantastic product, but honestly, if I were going to be doing the sorts of offroading that warranted that much protection, I'd have kept my Jeep, which has a thousand bumper/winch-plate/winch options that work on it, as well as tires sizes a new LR can only dream
I
Never mind

Old 01-26-2022, 03:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by sarek
You are welcome to see it in action anytime. I will be at multiple events this year including one in Maine, texas colorado,, NC VA
Thank you! Where and when in NC?

Old 01-26-2022, 03:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Thank you! Where and when in NC?
We will be at Uwharrie National Forest for the Uwharrie Rover Expedition the 3rd weekend in october

Old 01-26-2022, 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

When/where in Texas?? SCARR? Love to see that Beast in action!

Quick Reply: Lucky8 Winch Tray Install