2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meridian - has anyone replaced theirs yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 11:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the 700w Meridian system in both my 110 X and my F-Type R, before the Defender showed up I was not impressed with the system in the Jag. So far I have been pleasantly surprised at the performance in the Defender, at this point I would not change a thing.

The following 2 users liked this post by mikelr:
Simon14 (02-25-2022), The_hog (03-01-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 11:19 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some reading to do

Old 02-23-2022, 07:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
you lose quality when you stream anything. It always best to plug your phone in with the usb if your source is your phone. I use Tidal which is one of few CD quality streaming services

once you hear a proper source any system sounds dramatically better
I managed a custom car audio and alarm shop out of college. Moved on to AV sales manager and then store, district, and regional manager. High end stores doing around $60m/year each. I left to start a custom theater installation company and sold it. I've heard audio systems that would make you cry uncontrollably. I died inside when SACD was dropped.

Until last week, I had an original Polk Audio reference XM tuner (RIP) that gave very-near CD quality sound from their satellite feed. I had the terrestrial repeater feed turned off.

The 2017 Jag and the 2015 Toyota work truck still sound great with XM. The new Defender and the new Bronco are definitely different. Idk what changed but it drastic and it is not the downlink. Oh well, it's mostly a curiosity for me because XM is hot garbage anyway.
​​​​

The following 4 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
AvoTow (02-23-2022), Eitan (03-02-2022), ficklma1 (12-08-2022), warkeld (03-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 07:45 PM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
I managed a custom car audio and alarm shop out of college. Moved on to AV sales manager and then store, district, and regional manager. High end stores doing around $60m/year each. I left to start a custom theater installation company and sold it. I've heard audio systems that would make you cry uncontrollably. I died inside when SACD was dropped.

Until last week, I had an original Polk Audio reference XM tuner (RIP) that gave very-near CD quality sound from their satellite feed. I had the terrestrial repeater feed turned off.

The 2017 Jag and the 2015 Toyota work truck still sound great with XM. The new Defender and the new Bronco are definitely different. Idk what changed but it drastic and it is not the downlink. Oh well, it's mostly a curiosity for me because XM is hot garbage anyway.
​​​​
I don't understand how that is possible. The XM channel bitrate is less than 50 kbps with a modified AAC compression. How does that possibly achieve near CD quality?

Old 02-23-2022, 09:16 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

something that hasn’t been mentioned with the comparison of different cars is the sound stage, speaker placement and how many speakers as well as power output of the system. The defender is a noisy vehicle and that could contribute to some opinions

for the 700 upgrade it’s definitely worth the money. My Bmw m8 cost me 6k to go to Bowers. Still with the money as this was important to me.

Meridian has good lows and highs are decent. Would i go through the hassle of removing door panels and all the issues with that. Not at this age. 10 years ago not even a question

The following users liked this post:
The_hog (03-01-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 09:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Speaker impedance should always be the same or higher than the amp's rating and there will be no damage pushing 4, 6, or 8 ohm speakers with a 2 ohm amp.

An 8 ohm speaker (generally home speakers) would be louder on the same amp than a 4 ohm. A lower number on the speaker means it's harder to drive.

I have also noticed that XM sounds terrible compared to almost any other source. It's dull, lacks range, and has no presence. Spotify, YouTube Music, and the rest are much better in mine (700w Meridian).

​​​​​​We experienced the same in the new Bronco. I have XM in 2 other cars and it's fine. Idk what's up with these but it's definitely worse.
I've never heard a stock system I liked. The one in my X seems especially bad considering the price I paid. I'm looking to replace the Meridian system with something decent but I'm worried the exposed metal in the doors will make any system sound average. Do you think it would be worth the investment in upgrading the system?

Old 02-23-2022, 09:37 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Muppetry
I don't understand how that is possible. The XM channel bitrate is less than 50 kbps with a modified AAC compression. How does that possibly achieve near CD quality?
On a mediocre car system (Tundra, F-Pace) they're close. Limited by the hardware.

For the 2 new vehicles, there is apparently a difference with the receivers. They created a new platform, 360L, in 2018 to add interactive features and kill off the very old Sirius (worst quality) platform and eventually the XM (better quality) platform. Satellite streaming gets moved to cellular in a few years.

​​​​​This new XM is so bad I thought the system in my Defender needed to go to service.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:05 PM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

On a mediocre car system (Tundra, F-Pace) they're close. Limited by the hardware.

For the 2 new vehicles, there is apparently a difference with the receivers. They created a new platform, 360L, in 2018 to add interactive features and kill off the very old Sirius (worst quality) platform and eventually the XM (better quality) platform. Satellite streaming gets moved to cellular in a few years.

​​​​​This new XM is so bad I thought the system in my Defender needed to go to service.
The XM satellite streams are fine for news programs, sports etc., which is what I use them for out of cell coverage, but I think they sound really bad with music. The cellular version of XM is much higher bandwidth, but if I have cellular coverage then I'm using Apple Music anyway.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:06 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by AvoTow
I've never heard a stock system I liked. The one in my X seems especially bad considering the price I paid. I'm looking to replace the Meridian system with something decent but I'm worried the exposed metal in the doors will make any system sound average. Do you think it would be worth the investment in upgrading the system?
I'm sure this sounds pretty good but it's a commitment. Probably not possible on the MHEV the way they did it.

I'm probably going to throw some Dynamat in the doors and call it a day. Was thinking about adding a sub but there's just not enough room for me.

The following 3 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
AvoTow (02-24-2022), D90Hope (03-04-2022), Eitan (03-02-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 03:11 PM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

Quick Reply: Meridian - has anyone replaced theirs yet?