2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meridian Speaker Grilles Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 08:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

nashvegas - did you ever try this fix on your lower door speaker? My dealer couldn't figure mine out, so I'm about ready to buy the tape and try your fix. My resonance is definitely coming from the lower door speaker, so curious if you've addressed it yet.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Nope, I still have 1 vibrating speaker -- the passenger front door lower (large) speaker. All of my other rattles are gone. It's on my list for this holiday weekend (pulling the door panel etc)

Old 05-28-2022, 04:05 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks nashvegas! I'm going to give it a go too...

Old 06-02-2022, 06:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Nope, I still have 1 vibrating speaker -- the passenger front door lower (large) speaker. All of my other rattles are gone. It's on my list for this holiday weekend (pulling the door panel etc)
Success? Curious if the lower grill (the big one) pops out without removing the door card? Haven’t looked into it yet. But on a 2.5-hour drive home yesterday it got so bad I was jamming the skip button many times. And I’m talking traditional jazz, and not even during the bass solo — piano activates it more than anything for me on acoustic music.

Anyway, pushing the grill with my hand makes it totally go away so at least I know exactly where it is. I’ll look into it this week some time.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:17 PM
Rock Crawling

I got sick over the weekend so haven't tried it yet. I did buy the tesa tape nashvegas recommended, so at least that's a bit of progress

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 01:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

I’m tired of your excuses! Get out in that garage and fix the grill!

Old 06-15-2022, 10:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, as it turns out I was headed to the dealer to get the A-pillar fix (see my other post on that subject) and I decided to have the dealer try again to fix the audio issue before I tried the tesa tape.

In advance, I found two songs that had tonal qualities that clearly demonstrated the speaker rattling. I saved these on a USB stick, and wrote-up instructions for the tech to follow (select USB in Audio menu, turn volume to 32, play these two songs, etc.)

This made a huge difference, as the tech was able to immediately identify the problem and start working toward a fix.

They replaced the speaker driver and the door pocket. The tech said he still heard the buzzing, but would need to do more troubleshooting to fully isolate. I needed to pick up my Defender for a trip, so I suggested we stop for now, and I'd bring it back later.

Driving home, I did notice that the speaker/door pocket fixes have already made a significant reduction of the buzzing.

Long story short - you may want to do the USB stick/song write-up approach and have the dealer tackle it.

I'll report back in another week or so after I've had more time with the system.

P.S. I returned the tape to Amazon That'll buy 2 gallons of gas..

Old 07-02-2022, 02:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Tackled the bottom Meridian speaker grille rattle on front door of 110

I took the Defender to the hand wash / detailer this morning for a quick holiday cleanup -- and listening to the largest passenger door speaker grille rattling during a Chris Harris podcast, decided it was high time to fix.

Pulled the door panel (instructions attached). Bit fiddly getting the armrest off without breaking things (2 clips went flying, and there are 2 little plastic tabs that must be removed in a certain way or they *will* stress and break) -- but not too difficult.

Found the same thing. The metal tabs holding the grille on just weren't snugged down. Hammered them in, and put my tape over them as with above.

Also a 3 separate loose (potentially rattly) masking tape on the wiring harness, and 2 or 3 parts stickers on components that were near the speaker I thought might be rattling as well.

I also snugged up all the silver T20 Torx on the rear of the door panel a tiny bit.

If you're good at taking trim apart this will be an easy job. Anyway... tested with my "guaranteed rattle" song "Everything In It's Right Place" on Radiohead's Kid A. No more rattle, even with volume very very loud. And re-listened to part of the same podcast, no more rattle.

Tape over the tabs

Here tis with the tabs bent down and some of my tape over the metal tabs

This sticker a potential rattle at certain frequencies

Same with this one

Snugged up (just a tad) the silver T20 bolts

Masking tape - took it off, the harness already has proper tape around it so unsure what the purpose even is for this. Either way, it could rattle.

This one especially rattle-prone

Verified with the best rattle-inducing song!

The following 4 users liked this post by nashvegas:
Craig_RRS2013 (07-04-2022), GrouseK9 (07-02-2022), MattEvan (07-03-2022), MattF (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 09:52 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

thanks for posting this. i had plans this weekend to sound deaden the doors with various car audio deadening products bought on Amazon.

i also have rattled at certain frequencies but had no idea what the cause was

did you get any further and pull the whole door card off?

i am trying to sound deaden the outer body panel. can’t seem to find a video or anyone getting that far. hoping it’s just the multiple torx

Old 07-03-2022, 10:50 AM
Pro Wrench

Nope - I stopped at above. Kind of interesting how the door panel goes together ... I think once you get to where I was, yes the next step are the visible Torx silver screws all around.

Quick Reply: Meridian Speaker Grilles Rattling