Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mild All Terrain Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 12:50 AM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Mild All Terrain Tires

looking at some new wheels but getting a little tired of the road noise on my K02’s. love the aggressive look but not like what comes with it

new wheels probably be 285/45/22. heard great things about the Nitto Ridge Grappler but it’s a little hard to believe they are quiet with that tread pattern.

wheels will prob see no off road use

any other suggestions. Minimal road noise with the most aggressive side wall pattern is ideal

Old 03-11-2022, 06:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Man, that’s gonna be tough. You have the option of getting super quiet tires (since you don’t care about off-road traction at all). You also have the option of an aggressive looking tire because you like the way that looks. Nothing at all wrong with wanting it for that reason alone. But you’re gonna have to decide which you want more. I’ve never found an aggressive looking tire that didn’t make more noise than a purely road tire.

And while the RG might be a little quieter than the KO2, it’s still closer to an MT than a street tire.

I’m told the Ridge Grappler (RT) is quieter than Nitto’s AT, the Terra Grappler, despite being beefier looking and better in mud, which shouldn’t be the case but I’ve read it numerous places. If that’s accurate the RG must be about the best option you’ll find.

They make a Nomad Grappler now, which they call a “Crossover Terrain” . Probably very quiet, but looks like a passenger car tire, as it should, since that’s what it is.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 07:28 AM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m pretty happy with the toyo open country AT3. Have had them on prev rigs and they are quiet.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

No clue if they'll size out for you, but I'm very surprised how well Falken Wildpeak AT3/W's behave in the noise department. I have them on a Jeep and they didn't get "louder" until they started wearing down. Plus they're excellent in snow, if you'll encounter that.

Otherwise, haven't heard many people say the Wrangler Duratrac's are noisy. Those just get knocked because of sidewall strength... Which you won't care about if you're not actually off-roading.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:53 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the same needs. Just bought new 22” wheels and want a semi aggressive looking tire for my 90 that will likely not see much off road use. Want the tires to look cool but also don’t want the road noise.

I’ve been researching for weeks and settled on the Yokohama Geolander AT, but they are out of stock at Tire Rack so I ended up with my second choice, the Firestone Destination AT2 in 285-45-22. They get excellent reviews and most people say they are very quiet.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/ratings...m=76SR0DAT2OWL

The tires are going onto my Defender today, so I’ll let you know how they look and ride. Fingers crossed!

Old 03-11-2022, 09:47 AM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

anybody have any experience with Nitto Terra Grapplers 2. been eyeing them as a good alternative but not talked about much

[QU=Polar993;817390]I have the same needs. Just bought new 22” wheels and want a semi aggressive looking tire for my 90 that will likely not see much off road use. Want the tires to look cool but also don’t want the road noise.

I’ve been researching for weeks and settled on the Yokohama Geolander AT, but they are out of stock at Tire Rack so I ended up with my second choice, the Firestone Destination AT2 in 285-45-22. They get excellent reviews and most people say they are very quiet.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/ratings...m=76SR0DAT2OWL

The tires are going onto my Defender today, so I’ll let you know how they look and ride. Fingers crossed![/QUOTE]

Old 03-11-2022, 09:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Cooper Zeon LTZ are not terribly loud but perform great. Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3 are surprisingly quiet. Coopers I had first, running the Revos now but I really wanted Toyo AT3, unavailable in my sizes right now.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I had KO2's (or the previously named product) on trucks about 25-30 years ago. It's a classic, bad-*** tire. However, it's still 25-30 year old design. I have heard that the Nitto RG's are much more "recent" and the main reason for a sound and function difference. All that is hearsay to me, though. However, it did lead to my decision to get them. They ARE loud. Louder/quieter than KO2's would require a direct comparison with a piece of equipment rather than my tone deaf ears. I think (as usual) @NoGaBiker nailed it.

Andrew Skurka is a famous ultralite hiker. He says you can be the ultimate Hiker or the ultimate Camper, but it's very difficult to do both. Same with tires. There really aren't any unicorns. You're going to have to make a choice: do I want the style or do I want the sound. Those who compromise will hate them both ways. In my opinion, if I really wanted to lessen the noise while still looking aggressive - I would have gone with the JLR spec: Duratracs. I have to tell you, I REALLY considered that as an option.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:14 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

My wife has the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 on her RR and loves them, she says they are the best tire she has ever had, performance-wise. Looks-wise, she still preferred the Duratracs she first had on the RR, but they did wear quickly and get incredibly noisy toward the end.

This tire is a little funny in that the tread changes slightly between different sizes. The smaller sizes have more rounded edges, but the larger sizes have a more squared off look. I think they are a pretty good option for anyone looking for road comfort first and agressive looks second. I'm pretty sure the 285/45/22 would look like the 2nd image below. I have seen them on some work trucks and they look more agressive than the ones on my wife's RR.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

This is the tread look in the smaller sizes:

This is the tire tread in the larger sizes

Old 03-11-2022, 01:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

For the record, anyone looking for the Ridge Grappler in stock size (255/70r18) like me, they are out nationwide with no backorder date yet.

I found and ordered 5 yesterday from TyreGator (a Texas chain) only to get an email this morning that they can't get them, so sorry, here's your refund.

Shoot.

Quick Reply: Mild All Terrain Tires