2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My defender wants to be taller??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021 | 07:51 AM
|
Overlanding
Default My defender wants to be taller??

Hello guys. Here is another suspension issue.

After I parked my defender, its suspensions go up!! You can watch this situation on the below link.

JLR, not a dealer, said it is normal. This situation is caused by my driving style.

So I asked again. I have never had off-road driving and had usual city driving. The mileage is around 1000 km. Did I something wrong?

They answered. Defender has a self-calibration logic. This is a reaction of the logic to my driving style and the logic lifted my Defender up by my driving style.

Am I the only one who have this getting taller situation?

Old 06-24-2021 | 08:11 AM
Pro Wrench

Normal? My garage door gives me 2" clearance when it's set to the lowest height.

You're saying they told you this just "happens" and mine could randomly push into the garage door?

Old 06-24-2021 | 10:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The primary use limitation points of air suspension are over-heating the air within the bags and over-driving the compressor and thereby over-heating it. This was discovered over the evolution of of the technology.

If one's driving style, speed or road bed dynamics are aggressive, I believe the air in the bags can be over heated and the vehicle may reduce the amount of air by lowering the suspension, possibly? Also, the left to right movement of air is a factor in heating the air, as the vehicle attempts to counter body roll on the road and mimic the action of a solid axle during the bumps and swales of off-road driving.

Once the air is cooled and the compressor cools, I suppose the vehicle would rise back to its set height -- which maybe you are seeing?

I suspect this is what the dealer person was trying to say (but not too effectively, maybe.)

--------------------------------
“The air system actively monitors temperature in the dampers and protects the vehicle by changing the parameters of the suspension as you’re driving,” says Andy Deeks, Defender’s durability and reliability program boss.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021 | 10:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I just watched you videos.

In tiptoe 2, the vehicle is automatically elevating you to off-road height at start-up. This is programmed to occur if you are set in certain off-road modes. If you are not set in those modes, I do not have an idea of what could cause the auto elevation to off-road height.

Old 06-24-2021 | 10:42 AM
Mudding

I'm not sure if you answered this question previously, so trying again--do you have auto-access height turned on or off? It would seem like you do not. I'm not sure with the Pivi-Pro system in the Defender, but with the older InControl Touch Pro cars, this is a setting that you access from the instrument panel menus. I would expect these settings work the same in the Defender. If it is enabled, then instead of the car rising, it should actually lower. When you come to a stop the car lowers slightly and then it will further lower when you open one of the doors (or some similar sequence of events). I think the car lowers a full 2" below the normal car height. When you next drive the car, the suspension will automatically raise shortly after you pull away.

Other than that, I would just accept that an air suspended car with dynamic height control will do things a lot differently to a passive, coil suspended car. It makes driving more entertaining.

Old 07-06-2021 | 08:52 AM
|
Overlanding

They told me, this is normal reaction to my driving style by a logic. Can you understand this?????

Old 07-06-2021 | 09:02 AM
|
Overlanding

Thank you for your kind reply. I wish they tried to say this but not. A dealer company doesn't know why this situation is occurred and just say MAYBE BECAUSE OF LOCIG IS ACTIVATED. Furthermore, Landrover doesn't explain about this situation in detail.

I asked both of them. I have never had off-road and aggressive driving. Why do my car show this situation? They answered IT IS A LOGIC. That's all.

Old 07-06-2021 | 09:04 AM
|
Overlanding

Thank you for your reply. But I don't set it to OFF ROAD MODE. That is why I ask it to Landrover.

Old 07-06-2021 | 09:08 AM
|
Overlanding

Thank you for your help. I already did it and this situation is still. This is my big headache. Thank you so much.

Old 04-12-2023 | 01:57 PM
Winching

Now l am pleased l ordered coil springs on my 90 !

The following 2 users liked this post by lightning:
sarek (04-14-2023), WTFChuck (04-15-2023)

Quick Reply: My defender wants to be taller??