Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Defender Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 07:11 PM
Drifting
Received 52 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
It's surprising that the truck would need new brakes (assuming you mean rotors) this soon. Not sure it's even possible to overheat modern rotors such that they would become untrue. What might be worth looking at is to see if the rotors are glazed from the brake pads. This can happen with performance cars. The glazing can make the pads grip unevenly when applying the brakes, This can be fixed by lightly sanding the rotors and pads surfaces and then going through the pad seating process. Might be worth a try before what I imagine is going to be a big bill for new brakes.
Hi Matt, this piqued my interest as I was also thinking maybe I glazed them or something. I’ve been busy since I posted this, including a trip to Canada so I’d plenty of time to play with them and although it feels like a warped dish with the pulsing, I think (as you said) it’s something else as, in paying more attention to it, I’ve found that there is no pattern to when it happens.

Sometimes I feel it under light braking and/or hard braking and sometimes it does it on one and not the other. The 2 mechanics at work did a cursory look and commented how unworn the disks and pads were. The disc surfaces look good too but now I’m at a loss. It’s going in next week for service and I’m sure if I mention it, it will need brakes (due to the dealer service tax&#128540. The car stops fine and it’s more of an nuisance than anything, so I may live with it for a bit.

I have spacers on it and now I’m also wondering if one of them is untorqued or something. I’m switching it over to steelies for the winter soon so will check them then (and I’ll b removing them).

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
I would stick to OEMs personally.

Rears usually go first.

They don’t last long you’re stopping a lot of weight.

That happened on my last car, which was a first for me, I’m guessing these electronic diffs definitely add extra wear. My rear wear looks similar to the fronts

Originally Posted by VillaDazzler
I have a similar issue. 32k miles completed and vibration through the steering wheel. I can remember when I first noticed it coming down a very steep ridge when I was fully loaded. Dealer says that I have front disc thickness variation, and I probably overheated the discs. Will cost me AU$2400 to replace pads and rotors. I have the 18" wheels as standard that came with 349mm rotors. I think the reason that the 18" wheels are no longer offered is because with such a heavy vehicle there is insufficient metal on the rotors to cool them down and this could lead to warping, especially if wading or hitting water after steep descents. I tend to use my gears on descents more now, but still ...the issue remains that these rotors either have been impregnated with pad material or warped and can't be turned. Like you, I have been looking for an aftermarket slotted solution. This is where it gets complicated.
For 18" wheels, the front rotors are 349mm, for 19" wheels, 363mm and for 20" wheels, 380mm. I can find slotted, high carbon rotors for the 20" wheels but I can't find anything for the 18". I have considered going up in size to 363mm which I think will still fit inside the 18" wheels but will need to swap the 2 piston floating caliper for the 4 piston fixed. Then I started searching for aftermarket discovery 5 slotted rotors and I can find 349mm front rotors that look similar but I don't know if there is any part sharing between these models. All I know at this stage is that if I replace the rotors with the original land rover part then I will likely overheat those as well at some point.
I was hoping for an off the shelf upgrade, so I guess I’ll go OEM when I have to. I can’t pinpoint when it happened. I don’t think it was from towing and I know it got worse for a bit after I took it off-roading, but like I said above, there is no pattern to the severity of it. I just don’t want to drop a bunch of cash on them if it’s something simple that was overlooked, or as you said I’d hate to put new ones on only to overheat them again.

Originally Posted by mrmihai
I just hit 50k miles and started getting some vibration as well when applying the brakes at higher speed. Front rotors were slightly warped but pads still had some life, happy with the duration I got out of them. Swapped all rotors and pads with OEM, came with a hefty price tag though. At a third party Land Rover shop here in the Bay Area it cost about $2800 with labor. If I went to the dealer it probably would have cost ~$4k. Once I blast through the new brakes I will try and find an aftermarket setup that will save on cost.
ugh…. I figured it was going to be pricey but hopefully it’s something I can at least install myself. At 20,000 miles on mine, the wear is minimal so I’m happy with that, other than the pulsing.

Originally Posted by Kev M
We're at 20k and the rears are starting to show enough wear that we'll probably want them in the next year.

Did I hear something about needing to use a scan tool to release the parking brake or somehow allow the caliper pistons to be compressed?

I guess I should start looking into that.
Our Audi needs one but the Alfa I had last had a setting buried in the menus, it’s something I’ll have to look into or we could be stuck with the Dealer service tax

[QUOTE=MattF;843584]
Originally Posted by PaulLR

While I agree it's "possible" I hold it is relatively unlikely that a rotor would "warp". Most will need replacement from being worn down / exceeding the minimum thickness. Back in the day warped rotors were a thing because the material quality and design were fairly new. Most perceived warpage is actually pad / rotor glazing from overheating. The case above may be / probably is an exception.

Warp rotor diagnosis always seems like the "you need to have your blinker fluid replaced"... kind of diagnosis.
😂 The mechanics at work were busting one me and told me I should “brake hard to balance it out”. Even the ones you know can’t be trusted😜😜😂😂😂

Old 03-13-2023, 04:14 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Same here with my D240, the steering wheel start vibrating, worst on high speed, on slow speed sometimes you can feel it, sometimes not. I was looking for the replacement and looks like there are some aftermarket options, just wonder if anyone used some or just go for OEM.

Old 03-13-2023, 04:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelulepra
Hi All,

Same here with my D240, the steering wheel start vibrating, worst on high speed, on slow speed sometimes you can feel it, sometimes not. I was looking for the replacement and looks like there are some aftermarket options, just wonder if anyone used some or just go for OEM.
My 349mm brembo ventilated rotors are waiting for shipping at my brother's house in Ireland but I think I'll bring them back with me after a European holiday. I couldn't find any slotted rotors for the 18" wheels so will fit the brembos at some point. For all I know they are probably the same as the JLR stock. I almost always use low range manual shifting and switch off HDC when on steep descents offroad nowadays. I don't think these rotors will necessarily be any better at dissipating heat when I fit them, so now that I am aware of the issue, will let them cool down before crossing that river.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

My 349mm brembo ventilated rotors are waiting for shipping at my brother's house in Ireland but I think I'll bring them back with me after a European holiday. I couldn't find any slotted rotors for the 18" wheels so will fit the brembos at some point. For all I know they are probably the same as the JLR stock. I almost always use low range manual shifting and switch off HDC when on steep descents offroad nowadays. I don't think these rotors will necessarily be any better at dissipating heat when I fit them, so now that I am aware of the issue, will let them cool down before crossing that river.
HI,
I don't know that there are 349mm Brembo discs for Defender L663. are you sure they fit?
Brembo only offers 380mm front and 365mm rear discs for the Defender L663.

Marco

Old 03-13-2023, 06:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Steering wheel pulsating, check front brakes.

Seat pulsating, check rear brakes.

Pedal pulsating, check brake system/fluid. Brake fluid absorbs moisture which reduces it's effectiveness. Can be an overlooked cause.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
VillaDazzler (03-13-2023), WTFChuck (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 03:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mmbanf
HI,
I don't know that there are 349mm Brembo discs for Defender L663. are you sure they fit?
Brembo only offers 380mm front and 365mm rear discs for the Defender L663.

Marco
All dimensions are a match.

See link below.
https://m.autodoc.co.uk/brembo/17224758

Old 01-17-2024, 06:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone confirm fitment on an aftermarket set of rotors/pads for the 18in wheels? It's time for the second brake job and would prefer to save a bit of $$ and not go OEM.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mrmihai
Anyone confirm fitment on an aftermarket set of rotors/pads for the 18in wheels? It's time for the second brake job and would prefer to save a bit of $$ and not go OEM.
Second brake job? Ouch. I finally changed my front rotors/pads just before Christmas.
Britpart brake pad kit, LR139155, 185 GBP,
Disc bolts x 2, LR139520, 2 GBP,
Brembo Discs x 2, 09.D549.23, 375 GBP,
Brake caliper carrier bolts x 4, 30 GBP,
Shipping
2 hrs labour

Last edited by VillaDazzler; 01-18-2024 at 12:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (01-18-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 02:13 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Defender brakes

hi there seen your thread below:- was it difficult to change the rotors and pads and was there a diagnostic tool. I’m looking at doing the same I have a defender 110, P400 SE and have 20” rims. Looking at bringing brembos from UK

Second brake job? Ouch. I finally changed my front rotors/pads just before Christmas.
Britpart brake pad kit, LR139155, 185 GBP,
Disc bolts x 2, LR139520, 2 GBP,
Brembo Discs x 2, 09.D549.23, 375 GBP,
Brake caliper carrier bolts x 4, 30 GBP,
Shipping
2 hrs labour

Old 05-22-2024, 01:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Defoscoot
hi there seen your thread below:- was it difficult to change the rotors and pads and was there a diagnostic tool. I’m looking at doing the same I have a defender 110, P400 SE and have 20” rims. Looking at bringing brembos from UK
The front pair was straight forward, you just need a long lever to remove and retorque the caliper carrier bolts. No diagnostic tool required. The rear pair requires a tool to set the park brake. Allow up to an hour per rotor.

Quick Reply: New Defender Brakes