Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Defender Mods (AU) Bullbar

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 07:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts
Default New Defender Mods (AU) Bullbar

I knew I should have ordered the bullbar before getting my Defender! Sure enough, now they are backordered. Oh well, I'm on the wait list and I'm good at that!

Anyone have these installed that want to post info re: them? I know I need to get the winch at a JLR to get the correct wiring harness/etc. Do I also need the "winch mounting kit" or will this cover that part? I suspect I need all three (winch, mounting kit & bullbars), but just confirming the damage to my wallet.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:51 AM
Drifting
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I am on the wait list also. According to NDM, I think they told me all you need is the winch. I ordered one off Amazon. Not sure about the wire harness from JLR , unless there is a harness in the way that needs to be rerouted. But the winch should be just + & -
I am also going to try the control head relocation kit from Warn, it could be less cutting involved using that.
NDM includes the mounting plate cause it is specific to the roo bar.

Last edited by Hovdebo; 06-21-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:56 AM
Pro Wrench

@Hovdebo Don't know if it is urban legend or Dealers trying scare tactics, but I heard from different sources of a Defender being "totaled" because of a cut to a wiring harness to install a winch. I think there is a blog to that effect also. I'll try to find it and post it here. I think it was one of the first reviewers. Anyway, the story goes that they cut a harness and then couldn't get it repaired. It was deemed totaled and couldn't be repaired. I'm sure it is a bunch of horse hooey, but good luck!

EDIT: Found it! The second Defender in the series of unfortunate events if you read the article. And in this case, it was the Dealer who cut the cable!! https://www.motorbiscuit.com/broken-...lly-unfixable/

Last edited by GrouseK9; 06-21-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:08 PM
Drifting

I think that story is from a pre-production model, (test mule) & the replacement harness wasn’t available, so they deemed it as totalled. I don’t think you would have any problems finding replacement parts now if you needed them. My dealer said the bar is LR approved but won’t install mine, so I am on my own with that. Better off cause they would have charged me through the nose for that work done. There is install videos available online & a guy posted on here who did it himself with some good pictures.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 12:14 PM
Drifting
Default Self install winch and bull bar

Check out this thread “Self install winch and bull bar”

Old 06-21-2021, 12:27 PM
Pro Wrench

@Hovdebo - PowerfulUK does a great job with their videos re: the winch. I think there are multiple in the series as it takes a while. There are even links to the actual JLR instructions. The do GREAT videos and they are a great supplier if you have Q's.

I took 3 years to do a complete frame up restoration on a '64 Series IIa. I'm not that young anymore and likely don't have that long to live! So, when my bullbar comes in, I'm likely to hire someone to get it done. Sadly, I think this job would take me about 3 months of spare weekend hours to complete....<g>

On second thought, it took PowerfulUK five videos of about an hour each. No, it would take me a lot longer than three months!

Last edited by GrouseK9; 06-21-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I knew I should have ordered the bullbar before getting my Defender! Sure enough, now they are backordered. Oh well, I'm on the wait list and I'm good at that!

Anyone have these installed that want to post info re: them? I know I need to get the winch at a JLR to get the correct wiring harness/etc. Do I also need the "winch mounting kit" or will this cover that part? I suspect I need all three (winch, mounting kit & bullbars), but just confirming the damage to my wallet.
No Hooey on this topic, instead lots of 2020 dramatic information to digest --- some of it quite useful, and most of it interesting.

The wiring loom (harness) fiasco video is memorialized at the TLF website:

The bullbar install is noted on a thread on this site https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...ll-bar-103185/

as well as on my winch install thread https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...lation-105328/

Of note is my discovery that the UK / US winch tray is NOT compatible with the ( AU) bullbar winch tray and vice versa -- which was a great surprise, as the bar cover kits are matched to the bar type and it was assumed the tray was universal.

Finally, you must see the landmark five part video from PowerfulUKLTD --- which is to referred to by many on this site.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 04:13 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Will this work with the 110X with the adaptive cruise?

Old 06-22-2021, 07:28 AM
Pro Wrench

Thanks @TrioLRowner . Love the info there. Can you expound on the winch tray? This is new to me. I thought there was a mount kit for either a coil or air suspension. Is that the same as the tray? Are there really four? Coil/Air x Euro/US? I've seen the PowerfulUK videos. Good point there. I'll check out the threads. There's a shop in Dallas that have done these before and I figure I'll ping them re: the details when I finally get the bullbars. But, it's my personality to try to know all of this before I get myself too deep into it.<g>

I do like the PowerfulUK video where he Rhino'd the lower plastic. Maybe I'll pull it all off to Rhino it when the Front Undershield arrives and that will just inspire me to keep going and do the bars/winch myself. Did I tell you I'm still scarred (or is that scared?) about my 3 year frame up restoration of a Series....?

Old 06-22-2021, 08:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

GrouseK9:

Sorry, but I am a bit confused by your note -- not sure which of three topics you are interested: Winch install (in either AU or UK/US version), Rock sliders, or suspension components?

Quick Reply: New Defender Mods (AU) Bullbar