2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new defender reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022 | 11:45 PM
2nd Gear

My 110 is having its engine replaced at 12 months old with 40K kms...and the Turbo. D240s

Warranty will last to 100kms but doesn'textend with the new engine...hoping it was a one off issue

Old 06-15-2022 | 06:59 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 110 Defender NZ
My 110 is having its engine replaced at 12 months old with 40K kms...and the Turbo. D240s

Warranty will last to 100kms but doesn'textend with the new engine...hoping it was a one off issue
How does the warranty not extend to the new engine? I would expect it would be covered equal to, or longer than the warranty since it's newer than the rest of the vehicle. Maybe this is some different in legal requirements depending on the country?

Old 06-15-2022 | 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by D-Fens
How does the warranty not extend to the new engine? I would expect it would be covered equal to, or longer than the warranty since it's newer than the rest of the vehicle. Maybe this is some different in legal requirements depending on the country?
I think he's saying it doesn't extend the original 100k. It still falls under the original terms of the power train warranty.

Fwiw, I had a new engine put in a Jaguar XF at 35k miles and I had some concerns on resale and reliability. Never had a problem and got top dollar selling it to CarMax. They didn't care at all.

Only tip I'd give you is to carefully look at everything in that engine bay before you drive off. They tried to give mine back after several months with a few trim bits loose and clips missing. I politely asked the service advisor to have someone go over it all, take their time, and get it right because I was concerned about what else may have been missed.

Old 06-15-2022 | 07:17 AM
Rock Crawling

the replaced engine and turbo being newer should not change the original factory warranty under typical warranty policy if the engine and turbo were replaced due to issues that are covered by the factory warranty.

I would be surprised that NZ law does not work in a similar fashion.

Unless the engine and turbo were replaced due to issues that are not covered by the warranty, then I can see how it's possible.

Perhaps the poster could elaborate on that.

[​​​QUOTE=D-Fens;828663]How does the warranty not extend to the new engine? I would expect it would be covered equal to, or longer than the warranty since it's newer than the rest of the vehicle. Maybe this is some different in legal requirements depending on the country?[/QUOTE]

Old 06-15-2022 | 09:00 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
I think he's saying it doesn't extend the original 100k. It still falls under the original terms of the power train warranty.

Fwiw, I had a new engine put in a Jaguar XF at 35k miles and I had some concerns on resale and reliability. Never had a problem and got top dollar selling it to CarMax. They didn't care at all.

Only tip I'd give you is to carefully look at everything in that engine bay before you drive off. They tried to give mine back after several months with a few trim bits loose and clips missing. I politely asked the service advisor to have someone go over it all, take their time, and get it right because I was concerned about what else may have been missed.
Read about your experience concerning the loose trim and missing clips. Precisely why I prefer to do my own repairs/maintenance/installs, where and when possible. Obviously the more intricate repairs, mostly those involving computer issues are impossible for the backyard garage DIY’er, so we take our chances and cross our fingers. But it wouldn’t be asking too much for the technician to work on your vehicle and repair it, and put it back together as of it were THEIR OWN DEFENDER!

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022 | 09:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Read about your experience concerning the loose trim and missing clips. Precisely why I prefer to do my own repairs/maintenance/installs, where and when possible. Obviously the more intricate repairs, mostly those involving computer issues are impossible for the backyard garage DIY’er, so we take our chances and cross our fingers. But it wouldn’t be asking too much for the technician to work on your vehicle and repair it, and put it back together as of it were THEIR OWN DEFENDER!

The thing that I always wonder is how diligent are they in making sure the torque settings of their tools are properly calibrated and followed by the technicians in each job.

Old 06-15-2022 | 10:46 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
What really tipped off was that the hood was mis-aligned really dramatically. You would think they would at least get the obvious parts right.

Old 06-15-2022 | 01:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

This is why I also check the oil, brake fluids, etc. right after they change it (on those times when I do not do it myself).

I often find the oil overfilled ......

GrouseK9 (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022 | 05:21 PM
2nd Gear

What I am meaning here is the warranty on the vehicle remains only to 100Kms - So this engine is effectively only warranted for 60kms. My concern is if the engine design has some fault and the next one goes at 60/70 kms then its out of warranty.

Old 06-15-2022 | 07:55 PM
Pro Wrench

Next time you take your vehicle to a Dealer and they take off any wheel, check the torque. I will send Donuts to anyone who has the torque <20% over spec'd. No, I've rarely seen a mechanic use a torque wrench on anything other than deep engine work. It's all done by what the air wrench is set to or by "feel". If they torque everything to spec like a DYI person, I'd be shocked.

PaulLR (06-16-2022)

Quick Reply: new defender reliability