2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW Range Rover Global Unveil is Now

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 02:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

What I absolutely love about the rear is that it’s a design language likely for the FFRR only… and because of this, it makes our Defenders even more unique across the product line. Just like the original Defender.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 07:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Admit I was too lazy to watch the video but these show some interesting features and trim.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...ry-suv-design/

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...hings-to-know/

​​​It's growing on me.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Does anyone ordering or driving the 518 hp Defender 5.0L V8 (P525) understand why the New RR went with a 4.4L 530 HP V8 BMW - sourced engine (P530) ?

The configurator being shown in the U.S. is the international one -- which means we see diesels. JLR is likely teasing us folks in North America again.

As for the look -- the New Evoque, Velar and now New RR each look the same (to my sadly untrained eye) and takes minimalism further than is attractive, turning Land Rover into BMW. I give credit to the designer fellow -- he has done exactly what he said he would.

Likely, I am not sufficiently sophisticated for minimalism.

My next JLR product in 5 years will likely be the 130 Defender with a JLR V8 (did not JLR already try the BMW engine route and depart from it?) -- to replace my oldest LR4.

Enjoy

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 10-28-2021 at 09:03 AM.
GrouseK9 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 09:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Does anyone ordering or driving the 518 hp Defender 5.0L V8 (P525) understand why the New RR went with a 4.4L 530 HP V8 BMW - sourced engine (P530) ?

The configurator being shown in the U.S. is the international one -- which means we see diesels. JLR is likely teasing us folks in North America again...

My next JLR product in 5 years will likely be the 130 Defender with a JLR V8 (did not JLR already try the BMW engine route and depart from it?) -- to replace my oldest LR4.

Enjoy
With V8 shortages, Defender complete PHEV production halt (Europe) until July '22, improved (double) PHEV range in the new RR, and all-electric variants coming in '24, I'm guessing we'll see a lot of random engine adjustments in the next year or so and that the whole range (no pun intended) will look very different in a couple years.

MHEV seems like it won't last long? Does V8 exist in 5 years???

If a $72k Rivian R1S can get 400 mile range and ends up as the 4th fastest electric vehicle overall and the fastest SUV on the planet (yes, beats the Lambo) at 0-60 in 3 seconds, how will LR compete with a much slower V8 and, what, $6 gas by then?

Jaguar didn't get shut down for naught. They saw the writing on the wall.

Gas might still make sense for remote overlanding in a 4 or 6 but it loses out for people like my wife who just want to slam the pedal down hard.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 10-28-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

I doubt the V8 will exist much longer. How can it when everything is switching over to electric. This is all the pains of birth happening. By that I mean, the transition from ICE over to full EV. I think it is going to be a total cluster. Those like Rivian and Bollinger for example are getting ahead of it and will likely be very successful. If gas goes up to $6 over the next few years, there will rioting in the streets. I don't see that happening. I do see a gas tax of sorts. The federal government will tax tax tax force you to switch over.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:38 PM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

§ 6,- each liter:??, €4,80 ltr. We are now @ € 2,-
( 3.8 x..., You can do the math)

Old 10-28-2021, 03:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Defendit..
§ 6,- each liter:??, €4,80 ltr. We are now @ € 2,-
( 3.8 x..., You can do the math)
Congrats on deleting those mudflaps. Should help cut down on wind resistance.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by umbertob
They've been using the same flush door handles on the Velar since its introduction nearly 5 years ago, and I have not heard too many horror stories of people getting stranded and unable to get in their car because of them. They engineered the hell out of those handles on the Velar, even testing them in sub-freezing temps to make sure they wouldn't jam after being frozen in ice overnight. I used them for a few days on a loaner Evoque recently, they definitely take some getting used to initially but are chunky and easy to grab once deployed and work quite well.

The Sport is the only Range Rover model that doesn't have them now, so I bet they will be part of that redesign. I don't see them happening on the Defender, that's for sure. There, we are back on topic.

Ahh makes sense, I’ve really only paid attention to the Ranges, Discoveries, and Defenders in the recent years. I recall reading about a Tesla that crashed and the driver died because the handles didn’t deploy. Although that totally could have been an urban myth.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:42 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by IrrationalCPA
Ahh makes sense, I’ve really only paid attention to the Ranges, Discoveries, and Defenders in the recent years. I recall reading about a Tesla that crashed and the driver died because the handles didn’t deploy. Although that totally could have been an urban myth.
Yeah, it is ridiculous to question the reliability of the door handles. The only potential issue I could see is if the car was out in freezing rain and the ice prevented the handle from popping out. But wait, I have had several cars with traditional door handles freeze-up in similar weather situations.

As for the new Range Rover as a whole, it is growing on me. Money no object, I would without hesitation choose the Range Rover over any of the competition (RR, Bentley, Merc, Porsche). It just looks so classy and understated compered to anything else. Okay, there are some dubious trim color and interior fabric choices... As for the other car makers, Rolls Royce just needs to cull the Cullinan as it just looks like a very expensive London Taxi. The Bentayga is like a Picasso gone wrong. The Merc GLS looks like a Buick Enclave and the Porsche should have died at birth. And let's not talk about the new 7-series gargoyle--I just had surgery to remove a ganglion cyst from my middle finger that looks better than the BMW. BTW, who the **** would ever buy such a piece of garbage like that? I know it drives well but come on!

My dislikes

Last edited by TheMoke; 10-28-2021 at 07:44 PM.
TrioLRowner (10-31-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 12:06 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the new Land Rover design. Looks like I'm going to buy it as a result of my research.

Quick Reply: NEW Range Rover Global Unveil is Now