Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sarek
Yep. We do not spec them in our builds. This is one of a couple reasons we prefer the standard differential.
Would you think there could be possible to add a "Kill switch" to the control module of the RELD (rear electronic-locking diff)? thus in normal city driving, most of the time, the RELD would not act and the clutch pack in the diff not engaging, and only becoming active in off-road driving condition, thus significantly extend the useful life of this device?

Old 06-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 252 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Can_Glu
Would you think there could be possible to add a "Kill switch" to the control module of the RELD (rear electronic-locking diff)? thus in normal city driving, most of the time, the RELD would not act and the clutch pack in the diff not engaging, and only becoming active in off-road driving condition, thus significantly extend the useful life of this device?
All you need to do for that is to pull the fuse for the rear locker, and it will operate as an open differential. Not sure if removing the fuse would cause any warning lights to appear.

Old 06-18-2024, 12:17 PM
Drifting

Thanks for your quick reply, do you know which fuse to pull and share it here? I would not mind to test it on my 110 with locking diff and I will for sure to report back for the sake of all those who are interested in this.

Old 06-18-2024, 01:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Can_Glu
Thanks for your quick reply, do you know which fuse to pull and share it here? I would not mind to test it on my 110 with locking diff and I will for sure to report back for the sake of all those who are interested in this.
I couldn't find anything on the iGuide regarding the rear diff fuse. The TSB for the diff clunk says to remove the fuse for the diff. I'll check my owner's manual when I get home, but if iGuide isn't listing it, I doubt the owner's manual will.

Old 06-18-2024, 01:14 PM
Drifting

Thanks for trying to help me. I will keep trying to test it out.

The following users liked this post:
CincyRovers (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 01:17 PM
Rock Crawling

I'll be at my dealer tomorrow to discuss organizing a cars & coffee for my local LR owner's club. I'll ask one of the techs if they know what fuse controls the diff.

The following 2 users liked this post by CincyRovers:
Can_Glu (06-18-2024), Norsk (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 02:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Cars and coffee sounds good

That is a great idea about the cars and coffee at the dealership. I’ll ask mine if it might be possible. I have the extended warranty on my first Defender so I am only out $200 for the new rear differential. But in 40k I’ll be on my own and if this happens again I’ll just go with Sarek’s rear differential and hopefully he will have a front differential already done to swap them out all at once. I will have to sell one of my kidneys to have this upgrade done but I think it’s worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by DefenderSISU:
CincyRovers (06-18-2024), GavinC (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 02:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Found this buried in the manual:Make sure the following guidance is followed, to avoid causing damage to the active rear locking differential.

During the vehicle's first 1 000 miles (1 600 km):
  • Avoid fully pressing the accelerator pedal.
  • Do not exceed a vehicle speed of more than 120 mph (190 km/h).
    Note
    Always observe the national speed limits for the country in which the vehicle is traveling.
  • Avoid prolonged periods of driving at speeds in excess of 100 mph (160 km/h).

Old 06-18-2024, 02:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DefenderSISU
That is a great idea about the cars and coffee at the dealership. I’ll ask mine if it might be possible. I have the extended warranty on my first Defender so I am only out $200 for the new rear differential. But in 40k I’ll be on my own and if this happens again I’ll just go with Sarek’s rear differential and hopefully he will have a front differential already done to swap them out all at once. I will have to sell one of my kidneys to have this upgrade done but I think it’s worth it.
Yeah, this is something I've had in the works for months now. I'm co-chair for the Cincinnati region for the Ohio Land Rover Owner's Club, and this will be an official state-wide event. We are expecting around 25-30 cars to show up.

Old 06-18-2024, 04:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by DefenderSISU
That's great that you got the extended warranty. Seems like it has paid for itself with this one item.

Quick Reply: New rear differential