2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 12:43 PM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

That looks great.! , Perfect size, 265/70/18. Nice rims

Old 03-16-2021, 01:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Guapo

No lift rods. P400 with Lucky8 rear brake swap. Redbourne Alston 18” wheels. Nitto Ridge Grappler 265/70/18. Very minor rubbing only occasionally. So far so good. Tried other larger sizes but all rubbed too much. Don’t want to run lift rods. And the black lug nuts weren’t in when they did the install....so yes, I will have them in black.
You dont plan on off-roading that, do you?

Old 03-18-2021, 04:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by evomind
The pics are of the truck in the lowest setting. Plenty of clearance at offroad height.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 134 Likes on 38 Posts
Default No Lift tire size guide

Very nice P400 with 18" wheels ! I'd love a Lucky8 rock sliders. They're nice and they'll protect the bottom of the car perfectly. The problem is how to get them to Europe specifically to the Czech Republic. If they did them in Nitra, I'd have a piece.
If anyone had any contact with the correct carrier for transport to Europe, I'd be delighted.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts

of course I plan on off-roading it. Why do you ask?

Old 03-18-2021, 07:39 AM
Three Wheeling

of course I plan on off-roading it. Why do you ask?
Because usually if youre going to do anything challenging you are liable to lose the mud flaps and if you come down on the side steps those things will bend like pretzels and probably cause body damage.
Also the stuffed tires gives you slightly more ride height but takes that away in wheel articulation.
If youre just going to be doing hill climbs and dirt roads you will be fine, but be a little more careful rock crawling.
Nice truck.

Edit....Upon closer inspection what I thought were side steps appear to be rock rails...If so, disregard what I said about side steps although still a true statement just may not pertain to you.

Last edited by evomind; 03-18-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts

Because usually if youre going to do anything challenging you are liable to lose the mud flaps and if you come down on the side steps those things will bend like pretzels and probably cause body damage.
Also the stuffed tires gives you slightly more ride height but takes that away in wheel articulation.
If youre just going to be doing hill climbs and dirt roads you will be fine, but be a little more careful rock crawling.
Nice truck.
I’ve been off-roading and overlanding for many years. I’ve had Jeep’s and raptors. You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. You’ve also not seen the rock sliders in person. Their purpose is to take the abuse so the defender itself isn’t damaged. They are incredibly stout. Even more so than any I’ve had on Jeep’s. I wouldn’t do more than dirt roads without them. They are a necessity if you want to take this off-road. I’ve built this rig in such a way as to maximize its off-road potential. I have no idea what you’re talking about. And don’t forget, the new defender isn’t meant to be a rock crawler. If I wanted that, I would have bought another Jeep.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:44 AM
Three Wheeling

I’ve been off-roading and overlanding for many years. I’ve had Jeep’s and raptors. You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. You’ve also not seen the rock sliders in person. Their purpose is to take the abuse so the defender itself isn’t damaged. They are incredibly stout. Even more so than any I’ve had on Jeep’s. I wouldn’t do more than dirt roads without them. They are a necessity if you want to take this off-road. I’ve built this rig in such a way as to maximize its off-road potential. I have no idea what you’re talking about. And don’t forget, the new defender isn’t meant to be a rock crawler. If I wanted that, I would have bought another Jeep.
Jeez....I admitted at first glance I thought those were side steps and then I corrected myself.
Youre getting upset over something I already corrected.
Touchy.
So you dont rock crawl so the mud flaps aren't an issue. Great!
Im still waiting for the part where I dont know what Im talking about.
Relax dude.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Come on, gentlemen. No need to get cranky.

@evomind, I think the issue may be that you’re unaware of the multi-height air suspension of the truck? The pics are of the truck in the lower height. I can confirm that there is full articulation and plenty of clearance in the off-road height for that particular tire size.

@Guapo, would you consider posting a few pics of the truck in the off-road height to illustrate my point?

And for the record, a Defender 2 out of the box will definitely give a Rubicon out of the box a run for it’s money rockcrawling. It might throw it’s *** up more, and take a paw off the ground, but it will get it done. Now, a lifted JL rig with 37’s and armor? Okay, sure, that’s an easy call to make. But take that same JL and ask it to compete in overland? Or simply up and down a steep sand and loose rock stretch? Or tight (shorter than body length) muddy rollers? Not a chance- that’s D2 every time. So both trucks have their strengths and weaknesses off-road.

Last edited by TheLittleEngineThatCould; 03-18-2021 at 02:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eitan (05-19-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 03:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TheLittleEngineThatCould
Come on, gentlemen. No need to get cranky.

@evomind, I think the issue may be that you’re unaware of the multi-height air suspension of the truck? The pics are of the truck in the lower height. I can confirm that there is full articulation and plenty of clearance in the off-road height for that particular tire size.

@Guapo, would you consider posting a few pics of the truck in the off-road height to illustrate my point?

And for the record, a Defender 2 out of the box will definitely give a Rubicon out of the box a run for it’s money rockcrawling. It might throw it’s *** up more, and take a paw off the ground, but it will get it done. Now, a lifted JL rig with 37’s and armor? Okay, sure, that’s an easy call to make. But take that same JL and ask it to compete in overland? Or simply up and down a steep sand and loose rock stretch? Or tight (shorter than body length) muddy rollers? Not a chance- that’s D2 every time. So both trucks have their strengths and weaknesses off-road.
No worries.
I know all about the air suspension and capabilities of the truck. Ill be buying one for the mrs this summer.
Really all I said was that you will lose the mud flaps if you rock crawl. True statement.
I thought at first glance he had step rails. Anyone who off roads knows step rails and mud flaps are the first to go. lol. A closer look and I realized he had rock rails. Geez, so shoot me.
Larger wheels will or may reduce articulation, LR didnt give us enough room in the wheel wells to do a whole lot with tire sizes. Again true statement.
I agree, out of the box I think the defender is just as capable as a rubicon. True, the rubi was designed for aftermarket support and you can do much more from that platform with aftermarket, defender not so much. Unless youre really hard core its not an issue.
So I dont think gordo had as much as a factual argument with me, I just dont think he liked what I said.

Quick Reply: No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)