2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 02:29 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crewcabrob
Hi,

It's not that we don't want to help, its that there are almost no off-road tires offered for a 19" wheel.

The math says that a 275/60R19 is 31.99" tall. I can't find a tire like that. A 285/60R19 would be about 32.46" tall. I can't find an off-road tire for that either. A 265/65R19 is 32.56" tall, and no luck with a tire. These would all in theory fit.

If you go to what would be a 33" tire, 255/70R19 would be 33.06" tall. But there is no such off-road tire I can find.

If you have the 19" wheel, you are severely limited to what sizes are available.

Rob

[size=13px]Found the RADAR RENEGADE A/T-5 275/60 R20 119H (it's all terain and M+S)[/size]

https://www.tyres-guru.co.uk/product...0-R20/R-369447

Last edited by boni; 02-22-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:53 AM
Mudding
Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by boni

[size=13px]Found the RADAR RENEGADE A/T-5 275/60 R20 119H (it's all terain and M+S)[/size]

https://www.tyres-guru.co.uk/product...0-R20/R-369447
Seems like an option for a 20" wheel.

Rob

Old 02-23-2021, 08:57 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're right. my mistake, sorry.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:34 AM
Drifting
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Still no rub with 265/70 R18?

Originally Posted by spikemd
I just fit 265/70 R18s General Grabber X3s on my P300. No rubbing at full turn or access height. Minimal road noise. Much beefier tire. I already blew 2 factory 'offroad' tires. One sidewall puncture on the trail and one ran over some metal, unrepairable.

It looks really close. Are you still operating with no rub at any height? Have you had off road?

The following users liked this post:
spikemd (03-01-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:53 AM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

265 60 20 with factory mud flaps fit without issue.
Just back from the powder coating shop.

The following 3 users liked this post by rirealtor:
bobbyz95 (04-04-2021), Joh66 (12-26-2021), rossco_7 (09-14-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:54 AM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

One more.

bobbyz95 (04-04-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 03:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

This thread is well-intentioned, but seems to be a bit of a hot mess as far as any reliable established info goes. Very grateful it exists, but I’d love it if we could nail down a complete list of sizes that work.

I will say that reading through the various posts, one thing has become abundantly clear to me... The positioning of the wheel well lining must vary from truck to truck. This is the only thing that would account for some people reporting rubbing or excessively close tolerances with a tire, while others report running an identical tire with no issues.

In fact, it would seem that sometimes wheel well liner positioning can vary pretty dramatically... Case in point, one poster shares a photo of a tire that would certainly rub in a 265-60-R20... that tire measures out to around 10.7” wide and 32.5” in diameter. Another poster shows 265-70-R18s on their rig, and reports no rubbing at all... And that tire is actually somewhat larger at 10.7” wide and 32.64” in diameter. The only explanation for that is the material in the wheel well... It’s not as if the wheel wells themselves are different shapes and sizes.

Coming from the FJ Cruiser world, I am inclined to think then that this isn’t a huge deal. We should just start cutting the material in there. On the FJ we actually had to angle-grinder off the ends of chassis mounts, for God’s sake. A little plastic trimming should be cake by comparison.

DefenderSISU (04-13-2022)
Old 02-26-2021, 05:46 PM
Mudding
Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLittleEngineThatCould
This thread is well-intentioned, but seems to be a bit of a hot mess as far as any reliable established info goes. Very grateful it exists, but I’d love it if we could nail down a complete list of sizes that work.

I will say that reading through the various posts, one thing has become abundantly clear to me... The positioning of the wheel well lining must vary from truck to truck. This is the only thing that would account for some people reporting rubbing or excessively close tolerances with a tire, while others report running an identical tire with no issues.

In fact, it would seem that sometimes wheel well liner positioning can vary pretty dramatically... Case in point, one poster shares a photo of a tire that would certainly rub in a 265-60-R20... that tire measures out to around 10.7” wide and 32.5” in diameter. Another poster shows 265-70-R18s on their rig, and reports no rubbing at all... And that tire is actually somewhat larger at 10.7” wide and 32.64” in diameter. The only explanation for that is the material in the wheel well... It’s not as if the wheel wells themselves are different shapes and sizes.

Coming from the FJ Cruiser world, I am inclined to think then that this isn’t a huge deal. We should just start cutting the material in there. On the FJ we actually had to angle-grinder off the ends of chassis mounts, for God’s sake. A little plastic trimming should be cake by comparison.

I would agree that the thread here has taken on a different life for itself that may not be what we all envisioned. I think any one wanting real info on what works, would need to know the size of tire, brand of tire, what model of tire at a minimum. Because tires of different brands and construction will vary greatly.

A person reading this would also need to know if it was a 90 or 110, First Edition, X, HSE... and so on. We would also need to know the wheel size as well as if the car has mud flaps, wheel arch protection or not. These seem to make some difference too.

I'm not opposed to some grinding and trimming of plastic, but most won't do it or put up with a tire that rubs in only 5% of normal driving. I would agree that it's a small price top pay to get a little more meat in the wheel openings.

Rob

Old 02-26-2021, 07:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by crewcabrob
I would agree that the thread here has taken on a different life for itself that may not be what we all envisioned. I think any one wanting real info on what works, would need to know the size of tire, brand of tire, what model of tire at a minimum. Because tires of different brands and construction will vary greatly.

A person reading this would also need to know if it was a 90 or 110, First Edition, X, HSE... and so on. We would also need to know the wheel size as well as if the car has mud flaps, wheel arch protection or not. These seem to make some difference too.

I'm not opposed to some grinding and trimming of plastic, but most won't do it or put up with a tire that rubs in only 5% of normal driving. I would agree that it's a small price top pay to get a little more meat in the wheel openings.

Rob
I was actually navigating back to this thread to add an addendum to what I wrote...

Not that anybody was going to listen to some dude with five posts telling them to hack away at their wheel well liners anyway, ha ha, but I’d like to amend my suggestion regardless.

I’ve just had a couple of conversations with service techs at two different dealerships, and both said they couldn’t guarantee that cutting the wheel well liner wouldn’t have repercussions as far as warranty goes for parts in and around that area.

This is a little wild for someone used to Jeeps and Toyotas to hear, honestly, as the culture of off-reading is so prevalent at both those brands, and by extension, their dealership service departments... A mod as tame as creating a little more tire room by messing around with a liner wouldn’t cause any service manager at those places to bat an eye, but I guess that isn’t the case at Land Rover right now.

To be fair, they have been kind out of the game for a while (no disrespect to the Disco fans in here), so maybe as more Defender 2s are sold that culture will leach back into the dealerships a bit more, and they will be a little less gun-shy about this sort of thing. Maybe we’ll even start to see (gasp) dealer-installed lifts and custom off-road builds parked out front.

Last edited by TheLittleEngineThatCould; 02-26-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:34 PM
Three Wheeling

So now I’m debating between going 265/70R18 (32.64” diameter and 10.7” width) or 275/65R18 (32.1” diameter and 10.9” to 11.1” width).

It appears around half the people who have tried 265/70R18 report no problems. So maybe a 50/50 shot at a zero-issue install.

By comparison, the 275/65R18 folks all report success... So that would seem the safer approach.

But I always have to make things complicated, so of course the 275/65R18 tire option I like the most runs a little different in size. The Cooper Discoverer STT Pro in the 275/65R18 runs 10.9” in width, which is standard for that size, but 32.28” in diameter, or almost .2 taller than standard.

Luckily I’m working with a great shop that is ordering like 4 different sets of tires with the plan to see which fits best. We’ll see.

Last edited by TheLittleEngineThatCould; 02-26-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)