Sponsored by:

Noob Q : Off Road Height 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 05:11 PM
TSY
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noob Q : Off Road Height 2

Ok - total new owner question - I ran our new 110 off road this last weekend, got to spend significant time messing about with lo-range and vehicle height (and in this case running around at OR2 was warranted) However - when just busting down some fire roads I was not able to access Off-Road 1 height. (+1.57" / 40mm lift) ... and yes, I was operating below 50 mph where it get's clipped down to Normal height.

When I'm parked, in neutral or even drive... when I cycle through the options on the center condole height button it just goest straight from Normal to Off Road 2 (+2.95" / 75mm) and can't seem to just "select'" the mild lift (OR1).

Is OR1 height only accessible in certain modes? (and if so, which one's? Feeling somewhat annoyed it's obviously a pre-conditional setting and ... I don't know the settings. ha! )

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,119 Likes on 601 Posts

Great that you got it off the pavement. You do have a good question...but I think it's operating as it should. Button allows you to chose between 3 heights only.

Off-road Height (up)
Normal Height (middle line)
Access Height (down)

It then figures out which Off-road height depending on condition. Or something like that. Although I've never verified. I thought my older Rovers (LR3's/LR4's etc) had some function where you could hold the button down to go into extended mode, but L663 does not allow you to select extended mode with the switch press.

The only time I think I've ever seen it go to "Offroad 1" is when I'm between 31 and 50 mph, if that answers your question. Like, if I'm sitting in my driveway, or Offroad, it does seem to crank all the way up to the higher height, then if I go above 31 it maybe goes down to 1... then above 50 down to normal height. I believe. I've never verified this actually.

"Off-road height has two settings, as follows:
  1. The Off-Road 1 setting raises the vehicle 1.6 inches (40 mm) above the normal height. Off-Road 1 operates at speeds of up to 50 mph (80 km/h).
  2. The Off-Road 2 setting raises the vehicle 2.9 inches (75 mm) above the normal height. Off-Road 2 operates at speeds of up to 31 mph (50 km/h).
The suspension system automatically selects the most appropriate of the two settings, based on a number of conditions. The current off-road height setting can be viewed via the touchscreen as follows:
  1. Touch the Apps icon on the touchscreen driver side bar. See TOUCHSCREEN HOME MENU.
  2. Select VEHICLE DIMENSIONS.
  3. Select OFF-ROAD.

Then, there is "extended mode" which is something like this... (pasted from manual again):

Extended mode is an automatic suspension height setting that raises the vehicle to assist maneuvering in the event that the vehicle is:
  1. Grounded in severe off-road conditions.
  2. Lowered onto an obstacle.
  3. Wading in deep water.
  4. Driving in narrow ruts.
The instrument panel displays a message and the off-road indicator lamp on the front control panel flashes to confirm the vehicle is in extended mode. See ELECTRONIC AIR SUSPENSION CONTROLS.
NOTE:Extended mode cannot be selected manually.

The vehicle can be raised higher when in extended mode, if required. To further raise the vehicle:
  1. Press and hold the brake pedal.
  2. Press and hold the up button (3) on the front control panel for longer than 3 seconds.
In theory you could recode the height values and mess with CCF with Gaptool or similar, but probably not worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by nashvegas:
Phil McCracken (04-24-2024), TSY (04-23-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 08:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,338 Likes on 662 Posts

I’ve used the Extended lift function (3-second button push) when high-centered in a mud pit at an off-road park. It worked, but wasn’t enough to get the truck off its frame, so I had to winch out anyway. But it does work as advertised.

The following users liked this post:
TSY (04-23-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 08:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,145 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Great that you got it off the pavement. You do have a good question...but I think it's operating as it should. Button allows you to chose between 3 heights only.

Off-road Height (up)
Normal Height (middle line)
Access Height (down)

It then figures out which Off-road height depending on condition. Or something like that. Although I've never verified. I thought my older Rovers (LR3's/LR4's etc) had some function where you could hold the button down to go into extended mode, but L663 does not allow you to select extended mode with the switch press.

The only time I think I've ever seen it go to "Offroad 1" is when I'm between 31 and 50 mph, if that answers your question. Like, if I'm sitting in my driveway, or Offroad, it does seem to crank all the way up to the higher height, then if I go above 31 it maybe goes down to 1... then above 50 down to normal height. I believe. I've never verified this actually.

"Off-road height has two settings, as follows:
  1. The Off-Road 1 setting raises the vehicle 1.6 inches (40 mm) above the normal height. Off-Road 1 operates at speeds of up to 50 mph (80 km/h).
  2. The Off-Road 2 setting raises the vehicle 2.9 inches (75 mm) above the normal height. Off-Road 2 operates at speeds of up to 31 mph (50 km/h).
The suspension system automatically selects the most appropriate of the two settings, based on a number of conditions. The current off-road height setting can be viewed via the touchscreen as follows:
  1. Touch the Apps icon on the touchscreen driver side bar. See TOUCHSCREEN HOME MENU.
  2. Select VEHICLE DIMENSIONS.
  3. Select OFF-ROAD.

Then, there is "extended mode" which is something like this... (pasted from manual again):

Extended mode is an automatic suspension height setting that raises the vehicle to assist maneuvering in the event that the vehicle is:
  1. Grounded in severe off-road conditions.
  2. Lowered onto an obstacle.
  3. Wading in deep water.
  4. Driving in narrow ruts.
The instrument panel displays a message and the off-road indicator lamp on the front control panel flashes to confirm the vehicle is in extended mode. See ELECTRONIC AIR SUSPENSION CONTROLS.
NOTE:Extended mode cannot be selected manually.

The vehicle can be raised higher when in extended mode, if required. To further raise the vehicle:
  1. Press and hold the brake pedal.
  2. Press and hold the up button (3) on the front control panel for longer than 3 seconds.
In theory you could recode the height values and mess with CCF with Gaptool or similar, but probably not worth it.
GAP gives you an on demand lift. Eliminates the need for lift rods. Can be activated on the fly as needed with your phone.

Essentially does what a LLAMS does without the hassle of an installation. The tool is amazing. Lift rods, LLAMS, adaptive cruise. There’s about $2000 in options just there.

or an e-lower for getting in and out of tight spots. Very handy for my garage when I’m loaded up with skis.

on the trail you can raise the suspension up all the way. say for example… just off the top of my head, you were buried up to the sills in sand, it could come in handy.

might shorten shovellin time.

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
mopadzi (04-23-2024), rcmike57 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 06:57 AM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

I always thought OR1 was selectable in any off road or on road mode, but once you select Low Range you go to OR2…then the 3 second button push sends you into OR3…

Old 04-23-2024, 08:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,119 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by NativeTexan
I always thought OR1 was selectable in any off road or on road mode, but once you select Low Range you go to OR2…then the 3 second button push sends you into OR3…
That's what I originally thought too. Maybe it's the same and the way the manual is written its just nonsensical (a vague "height according to conditions" reference)

Old 04-23-2024, 09:24 AM
Pro Wrench

This is how it is in my experience.

When you select off-road height it will go into 1 or 2 depending on your speed. 2 low speeds. 1 higher speeds.

If you're in OR2 and you speed up it will drop down to OR1 automatically (until you exceed 50mph and then it's back down to normal height of course. )
It will stay in OR1 even if you slow down below the OR2 threshold. It will not go back up on its own. No height yo-yoing going on as you straddle the speed boundary between OR1 and 2

You can reselect OR2 by pressing the up on the height controls (up and down are the options) and you're back to OR2 so long as you're speed is below the threshold.

You can't manually select to drop down to OR1 from OR2 as pressing down button will revert you normal height.

*There are some offroad modes that might prevent you going back to normal height. (mud-ruts springs to mind. I've not tested to see if that prevents lowering to normal)

TSY (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:28 AM
Pro Wrench

Extended height and super extended cannot be manually selected unless external conditions allow it. (like being hung up on something. )

This is handy if you need to work under the vehicle and want that extra inch or two. You can trick the vehicle into getting high. It will stay there indefinitely with the right conditions.

TSY (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:30 AM
TSY
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nashvegas
That's what I originally thought too. Maybe it's the same and the way the manual is written its just nonsensical (a vague "height according to conditions" reference)
I had the same impression as well, I know that in certain OR modes if you select low-range you'll automatically go to OR2 height.... and if you hang up the frame, a long press on the height + button will go to extended range. (that one is a pre-conditional situation)

I'm on the verge of going the GAP IID tool route - I'm not into having vehicle programming tell me what is and isn't possible when its a basic that should always be possible - it's literally just coding, not magic. 🤣