Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Defender behavior Offroad // in 4L/Mud Ruts & Air suspension error msg

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 02:59 PM
Mudding
Received 135 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Had the 110 up in the mountains yesterday. Performed great. 2 notable things happened with the Defender, and I was wondering if anyone else w seat time can confirm #1 below as normal. Background, I have lots of experience in most all LR platforms off road, and own a couple now, so I know what I'm doing but by no means camel trophy ready.

Car = Stock Defender 110 X P400 with the factory AT tires (Adventure not Duratrac) and 1.5" lift rods.

#1 -- In slushy snow mixed with lots of mud, going straight on a flat area so neither up or downhill, as I gave it gas the truck was revving alot (3000-4000 RPM), almost like the transmission was slipping.

What was weird is there was NO wheelspin at all (I looked out window at front and rear drivers side wheels) or even "stuttering" (like when it's finding traction which is what I expected based on experience with more modern rovers with terrain response).

Settings - I was in 4Lo, Mud Ruts mode, ATPC on/HDC on but not being used.. Is this almost "slipping transmission" feel normal? I wonder if this is just me learning a new generation of LR terrain response equipped vehicle.

I literally thought I'd lost drive and had a mechanical problem. It crept forward slowly revving high with wheels slowly turning. This continued until I turned off the truck, put it in N, 4 High transfer case, then back in 4 Low. By then I was in a different spot of the trail.

So is this "viscous" feeling to throttle input is just what a Defender does in the mud mode / 4Lo - on a very slippery surface. Is this normal? It was as if the auto transmission was slipping or you were massively slipping a clutch in a manual transmission car. The car would not move forward unless I gave it a ton of throttle (with according engine revving quite a bit more than I’d expected)
Here's a pic representative of the surface when this was happening.

#2 -- "Suspension will raise when system cooled". Most of the day, I remained in standard ride height.

A few times I changed suspension heights from standard to Offroad 1/2. Mostly to see how ride quality was affected inside. I was not "over working" the suspension really....

About halfway thru got this error message "OK to drive with caution Suspension will raise when system cooled". This after I got out of the Defender to take pics (so when I got back in and drove off it tried to raise me out of auto access height, so it was refusing to raise).

Yes, I've seen this sort of message on every other Rover... its usually when the compressor gets tired or when I'd go up and down in the driveway more than a few times in a row. When this message was on, pressing the height selection buttons did nothing in the upward direction so annoyingly I was stuck in access height (fine for this trail and I do have a 1.5" rod lift).

Note to self: turn off auto access mode when Offroad.

So I rocked it in access height for a good bit of the trail. An hour later I stopped and it was back in normal height and operated properly. Dealer did just replace the voss fitting on the pass side front upper strut (leaking slightly) last week but -- I must have a leak that's happening when articulating the suspension, or a software problem, am I right in thinking I have a leak somewhere in the system?

Otherwise suspension felt normal, no issues.
Did you ever figure out the issue with the suspension. I have the exact same message now, only when off roading. I have a 2 inch subframe lift so had some ability to finish the pass but the dealer can not find any error codes

The following users liked this post:
Huc (09-18-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 07:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,157 Likes on 624 Posts

Yep, the dealer said that one of my rear height sensors showed repeated error codes logged (whatever that actually means....). They replaced that height sensor no more issues.

The following users liked this post:
Huc (09-18-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 07:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
That chart is GOLD !!

I have it in the vehicle and it is the best thing I have yet seen towards a driver's manual for off-roading with the new technology.

Personally, I would like to see from JLR a more revealing and helpful booklet explaining from their expertise "how to convert from 'old-school' off-road driving to the new approach". I think maybe they are a bit too close to the topic, and have become immune to how revolutionary is what they have delivered to us off-road drivers. Just a thought !
Yep when researching buying the car, watched a dude from down under try and go up a dune in 'auto' and get mad it didn't have a solid axel as that would fix it, but then later remembered and turned on sand and it walked right up.

Maybe because I'm in the tech world but for me old school is great and all but there are other ways to do it and that shouldn't be shot down, but you have to educated 4x as much and get people to listen first.