Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offloading used tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 07:11 AM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Offloading used tires

Now that i have replacement tires ready to be mounted, I'm trying to decide what to do with my Goodyears once they're removed. With just over 9k miles on 4 (and 0 miles on one), I feel like they're worth something, but part of me also thinks I should let the installers keep / dispose of them so I don't have to deal with it. Have others had any luck offloading theirs easily?

I do live in the DC metro area, so there are lots of people who might want them in the local area, but I'm also not sure the general LR-owning public is looking for used tires.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Your retailer will most likely resell them. Plenty of buyers of used tires out there.

just a thought.....

Old 09-02-2022, 08:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts

Used tires with good tread are worth about 30% of new cost. So, if you're talking about the Goodyear Adventure Terrains, about $500 for a set of 5. The Land Rover sizes are kinda oddball so you're likely to be waiting a while for them to sell. You'd have to decide if your time is worth it or not. In my experience, the way to get max return is to break the set as singles or spares for people that had unrepairable punctures or some such. You could probably get $125-150 a tire that way. But again, time is money. I'd personally just bin them as FaceBook Marketplace or Craigslist negotiations and transactions are not my idea of how I want to spend a weekend.

The following users liked this post:
D-Fens (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 08:18 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Your retailer will most likely resell them. Plenty of buyers of used tires out there.

just a thought.....

Yeah, they would sell them on to a used tire outlet most likely. After charging you $5 per for hazardous waste disposal.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:04 AM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
Used tires with good tread are worth about 30% of new cost. So, if you're talking about the Goodyear Adventure Terrains, about $500 for a set of 5. The Land Rover sizes are kinda oddball so you're likely to be waiting a while for them to sell. You'd have to decide if your time is worth it or not. In my experience, the way to get max return is to break the set as singles or spares for people that had unrepairable punctures or some such. You could probably get $125-150 a tire that way. But again, time is money. I'd personally just bin them as FaceBook Marketplace or Craigslist negotiations and transactions are not my idea of how I want to spend a weekend.
Yeah, I remember how much trouble it was just trying to offload a mower and trimmer for nearly nothing, and I assume the tires would be worse. I also can only store them in the basement right now, so that's less than ideal.

Old 09-02-2022, 12:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,294 Likes on 948 Posts

I'll be in the same boat eventually. 255/60 R20 Adventure tires are likely going to be a tough sell given the limited demand.

Sold a set of snow tires last year for $50 a tire at 3 yrs old. A pretty commonly used size. Sold in 1 day. If I can get something similar again on these rubber unicorns I'd call it a win. Otherwise, down the nearest storm drain they go.

Offerup is my go to for selling stuff. Much better than CL or FB. Have sold a lot of stuff on that platform over the years.

Tire retailers will charge you disposal fee to offload them.

Old 09-03-2022, 11:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
I'll be in the same boat eventually. 255/60 R20 Adventure tires are likely going to be a tough sell given the limited demand.

Sold a set of snow tires last year for $50 a tire at 3 yrs old. A pretty commonly used size. Sold in 1 day. If I can get something similar again on these rubber unicorns I'd call it a win. Otherwise, down the nearest storm drain they go.

Offerup is my go to for selling stuff. Much better than CL or FB. Have sold a lot of stuff on that platform over the years.

Tire retailers will charge you disposal fee to offload them.

Hey Gavin I might be interested in yours if and when you swap and they're low mileage, and I'm close by.

Old 09-03-2022, 11:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,294 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Hey Gavin I might be interested in yours if and when you swap and they're low mileage, and I'm close by.
Great. No worries @nashvegas Miles aren't all that low I guess. Put about 8-9k on this set so far so may not be to your liking. Not sure on the exact number because I run a winter set too.

When I finally get around to taking them off (probably not be till the winter swap in early Nov) I'll let you know, and shoot you the details for the 4. (I'm keeping 1 as a spare for the directional Blizzaks)

Old 09-05-2022, 06:58 AM
Banned
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
Yeah, they would sell them on to a used tire outlet most likely. After charging you $5 per for hazardous waste disposal.
Tire disposal is usually mandated by the state and has to be charged. Not every shop is out there trying to rip off customers, that gets so old

Old 09-05-2022, 10:03 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MERCTwister
Tire disposal is usually mandated by the state and has to be charged. Not every shop is out there trying to rip off customers, that gets so old
I'm well aware that it is 'required' by legislation. I submit that they are not following the spirit of the law if the tires gets sold on to a used tire wholesaler instead of being recycled to become mulch or a playground surface or whatever they do with them. I have no issue with being charged for a set of bald rubber that has no future.