Sponsored by:

OH, how I wished my D90 was electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 09:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts
Default OH, how I wished my D90 was electric

Hey guys,

Well, anyone thinking of selling their awesome Defender due to gas prices? I gotta say, I feel like a F'G idiot sucker when I pull up to a gas station. Seriously considering selling 😔

Old 03-18-2022, 09:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Ok, you started the "Gas Price" thread, @Low Country - so this rant is all your fault! I get that luxury vehicles get lower mpg. I get that a heavy, boxy, less air dynamic off-road tired vehicle isn't going to match my hybrid Mini Cooper. What kills me are the freaking prices. I feel we are being extorted more than sold the wrong product. Bear with me. I understand that gas prices have this weird economic phenomenon (I forgot the name) where the prices rise like a rocket but fall like a feather. The problem is the grossly extreme profits that the oil companies are making right now. Record breaking profits. This is nothing but a seemingly collusive activity. The last time the price per barrel hit $125 our fuel prices were $3.5/gallon (sorry everyone in Europe!). Now, they are averaging $4.5/gallon and it peaked sub $110. While it's on it's way down, what is pissing me is that I think we are collectively being (fill in the blank with a profane image of fornication).

I don't regret the purchase, I regret we can't nail them for some sort of surtax of extreme profits to go back into the roads. But no way do I trust any governmental or regulatory agency (of either party) to make it right.

Rant over. @Low Country 's fault.

The following 3 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
ADVAW8S (03-18-2022), JMF20 (03-18-2022), mopadzi (03-21-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 09:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Ok, you started the "Gas Price" thread, @Low Country - so this rant is all your fault! I get that luxury vehicles get lower mpg. I get that a heavy, boxy, less air dynamic off-road tired vehicle isn't going to match my hybrid Mini Cooper. What kills me are the freaking prices. I feel we are being extorted more than sold the wrong product. Bear with me. I understand that gas prices have this weird economic phenomenon (I forgot the name) where the prices rise like a rocket but fall like a feather. The problem is the grossly extreme profits that the oil companies are making right now. Record breaking profits. This is nothing but a seemingly collusive activity. The last time the price per barrel hit $125 our fuel prices were $3.5/gallon (sorry everyone in Europe!). Now, they are averaging $4.5/gallon and it peaked sub $110. While it's on it's way down, what is pissing me is that I think we are collectively being (fill in the blank with a profane image of fornication).

I don't regret the purchase, I regret we can't nail them for some sort of surtax of extreme profits to go back into the roads. But no way do I trust any governmental or regulatory agency (of either party) to make it right.

Rant over. @Low Country 's fault.
LOL......I'm sorry ( head hung low) 😔

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 09:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

It has crossed my mind and may end up being forced to bail out of it. As of this year I have to set aside money (additional income tax withholding) just so I don't have to pay thousands in taxes next year. Also, my estimate when budgeting for the Defender for fuel was all based upon the MPG my Q5 got vs the MPG for the Defender. I was ballparking it at 50% more per month but with the price per gallon skyrocketing that has seriously changed the picture. I love the vehicle but I know where you're coming from. A hybrid Venza or something along those lines is a thought I have to admit to recently kicking around...

Old 03-18-2022, 10:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

While an EV may seem like an attractive way out of rising fuel prices, you do know that electricity also rises along with fuel prices right? It’s not like an EV is going to hedge against that. A close friend of ours has a Tesla X as a daily driver and her electric bill for the Tesla is $560 dollars a month. You can work that math every which way and never come out ahead because it’s just how things work. Also, another example is that here in SF a gallon of gas has always been around $4.75 a gallon for 91 octane. It’s risen to ~$6.75 a gallon. It’s costing an extra $28 dollars to fill my defender. Is $28 bucks really breaking the bank? That’s a cheap lunch for 2 without tip. Inflation is everywhere and in every sector. Selling your Defender for an EV isn’t going to solve your issue.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:02 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
While an EV may seem like an attractive way out of rising fuel prices, you do know that electricity also rises along with fuel prices right? It’s not like an EV is going to hedge against that. A close friend of ours has a Tesla X as a daily driver and her electric bill for the Tesla is $560 dollars a month. You can work that math every which way and never come out ahead because it’s just how things work. Also, another example is that here in SF a gallon of gas has always been around $4.75 a gallon for 91 octane. It’s risen to ~$6.75 a gallon. It’s costing an extra $28 dollars to fill my defender. Is $28 bucks really breaking the bank? That’s a cheap lunch for 2 without tip. Inflation is everywhere and in every sector. Selling your Defender for an EV isn’t going to solve your issue.

" A close friend of ours has a Tesla X as a daily driver and her electric bill for the Tesla is $560 dollars a month". This friend is lying to you.

Im no fan of teslas or EV's, but it does NOT cost $560 per month to drive a Tesla as a daily. Thats just not true.

X-

MERCTwister (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 11:32 AM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

There are other costs associated with EV's that often don't get talked about. $1500 to wire up a charger in your garage. Higher insurance costs, and buying any vehicle to replace your Defender will trigger another sales tax event. The cheapest Tesla is now $50K. That's $4K at 8%. Living with an EV isn't necessarily cheaper compared to an ICE vehicle either contrary to popular belief. https://tinyurl.com/4nda86t3

Seems like a lot of hassle, expense, and possibly a lesser driving experience all for a temporary relatively small additional cost in fuel. I remember when I bought an Acura NSX. $90K and owners were complaining about having to put new tires on after 12K miles. If you can afford $90K what's another $1200 every couple of years? $70K for a Defender, whats another $200 in fuel per month right now?

GrouseK9 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 11:54 AM
Rock Crawling

I owned a 2021 Model 3 Performance. Destination Chargers are free, Super Chargers were about $15 to charge 80% and charging at home barely increased my FPL bill here in Florida.

MERCTwister (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 12:44 PM
Banned
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Model 3 in my garage that is my wife's daily. It is a tiny fraction of the cost to drive than the Defender. $560 per month is complete BS form your sisters friends brother in law twice removed who drives an X as a daily

Old 03-18-2022, 12:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by UtahLandy
There are other costs associated with EV's that often don't get talked about. $1500 to wire up a charger in your garage. Higher insurance costs, and buying any vehicle to replace your Defender will trigger another sales tax event. The cheapest Tesla is now $50K. That's $4K at 8%. Living with an EV isn't necessarily cheaper compared to an ICE vehicle either contrary to popular belief. https://tinyurl.com/4nda86t3

Seems like a lot of hassle, expense, and possibly a lesser driving experience all for a temporary relatively small additional cost in fuel. I remember when I bought an Acura NSX. $90K and owners were complaining about having to put new tires on after 12K miles. If you can afford $90K what's another $1200 every couple of years? $70K for a Defender, whats another $200 in fuel per month right now?
70K? hahahaha that's hilarious. I wish.

Quick Reply: OH, how I wished my D90 was electric