Sponsored by:

OH, how I wished my D90 was electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 03:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by merrion13
I remember the runup in gas prices in 2008 then again in 2012. All of which had the effect of consumers waking up to being more conscious of the efficiency of their vehicles and it created the framework for CAFE standards and also was a large shot in the arm of the race to 40mpg by all the major manufacturers. When oil started dropping fast in 2015, it led to the very short memories of consumers pivoting back to full size SUVs and pickup trucks and opting out of small cars and sedans that were more efficient. Now we are back in that situation. If you bought the Defender and you are sensitive to the cost to fill the tank, and you've been alive over the past 14 years, it's on you as we've seen this movie before.
That's like saying people who buy a house on the coast that's on them because there was a hurricane 14 years ago. I don't disagree with your line of thought but I also don't blame people for wanting to own waterfront property. Yolo.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Here's a total bulls*t post that will come across as snobby but whatever. ​​​​​​Its not really meant that way.

I've always gathered that a LR/RR is suited for households with more than one vehicle per person and those who have more ownership of their time.

If a mechanical error with a backordered part and no loaner puts your life wrong-side-up, maybe this wasn't the best vehicle choice. If a bump in fuel prices have one looking to trade, maybe it was not the best financial decision to begin with.

It's similar to how the airlines plowed some 98% of their record profits and cheap loans into stock buybacks to juice their shares. Covid hits and they can't make it a month.

Some people would describe a vehicle like a Bronco as a poor man's Defender. I'd argue that it's really the rich man's Defender.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GrouseK9 (03-18-2022), user 729788 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 03:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Here's a total bulls*t post that will come across as snobby but whatever. ​​​​​​Its not really meant that way.

I've always gathered that a LR/RR is suited for households with more than one vehicle per person and those who have more ownership of their time.

If a mechanical error with a backordered part and no loaner puts your life wrong-side-up, maybe this wasn't the best vehicle choice. If a bump in fuel prices have one looking to trade, maybe it was not the best financial decision to begin with.

It's similar to how the airlines plowed some 98% of their record profits and cheap loans into stock buybacks to juice their shares. Covid hits and they can't make it a month.

Some people would describe a vehicle like a Bronco as a poor man's Defender. I'd argue that it's really the rich man's Defender.
In retrospect it hasn't depreciated so it was a pretty good decision to buy and buying something much more affordable typically doesn't get anyone a loaner, instead you get a ride home in a minivan at best.

Last edited by Chief65; 03-18-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

My wife and I bought a Volvo electric (C40) a couple months ago to compliment the Defender. At that time when premium gas was around $4/gallon, the cost was roughly 7x per mile to fuel the Defender vs the electric car. With the run up in gas prices, I think it is closer to 10x.

Our electricity cost here is relatively cheap ($0.08 per KWh). So in a car the gets around 3 miles per KWh, that is under $0.03 per mile. Compare that to $0.20 - $0.30 per mile on the Defender.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 04:47 PM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
There's a certain amount of money I'm willing to spend to drive. That amount is the payment + the insurance + fuel + maintenance. So whatever that is for a Corolla let's call it $750 am I willing to pay $1350 to drive a Defender, yes. At this stage of my life yes I am. Add another $200 then it matters, in my budget it matters. If I thought it was acceptable to spend $200 more per month there are options I'd have added to the build in the first place. I drew my line in the sand at a 60k budget build. I am sure you're leaving some features off your build too, why? There's a limit to what you find acceptable given your budget. It's no different from interest on the loan if the interest was such that it were made $200 per month higher on a 60k vehicle it would rile up a few people even if fuel costs were steady.
Well, that's what makes the World go round. Believe it or not, I, like you, went with a budget build. My MSRP was $59,760. I based mine more on what I wanted instead of what the cost was. I've owned cars nearly twice as much, but I really wouldn't worry about something that is only temporary especially if you really enjoy your Defender. It's only added 14% to your monthly budget......just drink a few more $2 coffees!

Chief65 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 06:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by UtahLandy
Well, that's what makes the World go round. Believe it or not, I, like you, went with a budget build. My MSRP was $59,760. I based mine more on what I wanted instead of what the cost was. I've owned cars nearly twice as much, but I really wouldn't worry about something that is only temporary especially if you really enjoy your Defender. It's only added 14% to your monthly budget......just drink a few more $2 coffees!
I know really you're right. My Panera coffee subscription gets a heck of a workout. Sorry I was a little combative in this thread, you and others have made good points. I think it's pretty clear that I stretched to get into this price point. I leased the 2018 Q5 for around $780 but with the mileage I was racking up I couldn't see leasing the Defender for 900+. Might as well buy it at $1080 with the extended warranty and three years prepaid scheduled maintenance. The child support payment has me handcuffed for another year or two, then things get easier. I'm no wizard with money but when we have a vehicle that isn't depreciating and we're racking up 1k per month in trade equity IMO it's crazy to bail because of let's say a 2-3k increase in fuel costs. I filled up on the way to pick up my son tonight, came to $81 for 16 gallons. I read your reply and got myself another Panera coffee on the way home instead of a Dunkin. Another 3 bucks to the good. lol

Last edited by Chief65; 03-18-2022 at 06:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chief65:
GrouseK9 (03-18-2022), user 729788 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Country
Hey guys,

Well, anyone thinking of selling their awesome Defender due to gas prices? I gotta say, I feel like a F'G idiot sucker when I pull up to a gas station. Seriously considering selling 😔
I have a 4x4 V10 Excursion. It holds 44 gallons of gas and gets 9-10 mpg around town. If I can make it so can you

Last edited by ArmyRover; 03-18-2022 at 07:44 PM.
GrouseK9 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 07:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

In retrospect it hasn't depreciated so it was a pretty good decision to buy and buying something much more affordable typically doesn't get anyone a loaner, instead you get a ride home in a minivan at best.
Both very true.

Sorry if that came across harsh. It's more about me than it is anyone else. I did FIRE for a few years. It becomes like a religion. I still pick things up in a store and a voice in my head says "don't buy it, you're just going to look at it in 6 months and wish you had your $20 back".

Mostly I just put things back on the shelf.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
Chief65 (03-18-2022), GrouseK9 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 07:47 PM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I know really you're right. My Panera coffee subscription gets a heck of a workout. Sorry I was a little combative in this thread, you and others have made good points. I think it's pretty clear that I stretched to get into this price point. I leased the 2018 Q5 for around $780 but with the mileage I was racking up I couldn't see leasing the Defender for 900+. Might as well buy it at $1080 with the extended warranty and three years prepaid scheduled maintenance. The child support payment has me handcuffed for another year or two, then things get easier. I'm no wizard with money but when we have a vehicle that isn't depreciating and we're racking up 1k per month in trade equity IMO it's crazy to bail because of let's say a 2-3k increase in fuel costs. I filled up on the way to pick up my son tonight, came to $81 for 16 gallons. I read your reply and got myself another Panera coffee on the way home instead of a Dunkin. Another 3 bucks to the good. lol

I didn’t take it as combative. Just good hearted banter defending your decision. I’m not a coffee drinker so that may be why the gas increase hasn’t bothered me. 😁 I’m sure a large portion of the population would all think we are crazy thinking $1350/mo is a reasonable price to pay for our transportation needs. On the other hand, GrouseK9 put the fear of God in me saying he has 6 drivers in the family. Yikes!

The following 2 users liked this post by user 729788:
Chief65 (03-18-2022), GrouseK9 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 07:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by UtahLandy
I didn’t take it as combative. Just good hearted banter defending your decision. I’m not a coffee drinker so that may be why the gas increase hasn’t bothered me. 😁 I’m sure a large portion of the population would all think we are crazy thinking $1350/mo is a reasonable price to pay for our transportation needs. On the other hand, GrouseK9 put the fear of God in me saying he has 6 drivers in the family. Yikes!
All cool, sometimes can be tough to tell online if anyone is getting riled up. Have a good weekend!

user 729788 (03-18-2022)

Quick Reply: OH, how I wished my D90 was electric