2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Online Pack with Data Plan has expired. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 11:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
..... As recently as tonight, no Wi-Fi, I can connect devices to in-car hotspot but there is no internet, native music apps are all stuck."buffering" forever... Weather app continues working normally though, which is kind of puzzling as, in theory, that app should also be tied to the data plan, no?
Actually the weather app is on the other side of the "brain" ( a.k.a. data plan ) that is linked to telematics. You have two eSIMs : 1 for your data plan, that you see, and another one for the telematics (updates and other things) which you don't see. The 2nd one is active by default on all vehicles. I posted at one point an explanation about this.
If you get to the dealership, ask them to use the procedure for "shared secrets" - which may push the data plan into action. Another way is for them to put the vehicle in "transport mode" and then get out of that state. This does the trick sometimes too. All you need is to find a tech that is worth it weight in salt ... and knows a bit about cellular / telematics.
It is solvable, trust me, but may take a bit of effort.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:33 PM
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the most:
- shut up and take my money
- no I won’t do it
topic ever. We want to spend money to get a data plan and no one is selling

Old 05-28-2023, 10:27 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think someone mentioned this. ROW and NAS defenders have a different modules for internet connectivity. The port that houses usb c and usb A connectors at the center console sub gearshift area has a sim slot on ROW spec defenders. Powerfuluk made a video on this plus i believe carry the module in their inventory. Worth a shot imo to swap those and use an ISP of your choice. Im not a fan of att..

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-30-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 08:52 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

My old LR has "on board" satellite navigation. It's hard wired and cost me about $700 at the outset. But now it's there - no plan - it always works. Same for my music, where I have stored music (I can save 6 full CDs to the computer). Is LR no longer offering "on board" computer chip space for navigation and music? The music I kinda get, but if they think they are charging monthly for Navigation that is basically an iPhone? That's a step backwards. My existing "satellite" navigation will continue when my iPhone navigation is temporarily out, so it's been very helpful, and in some ways better than my iPhone. (this happens in remote areas where trees likely interfere with cell phone reception. The satellite nav. must download the route to computer to some extent, so when connection is temporarily lost, the route and turns still appears on my screen. Interesting to note: I have gotten emails over the years to update my maps, for a cost. I've never done this, and my nav. still works. I suspect any new streets may not be on my maps, but at least it works and I'm not paying more because there's no renewal necessary.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
My old LR has "on board" satellite navigation. It's hard wired and cost me about $700 at the outset. But now it's there - no plan - it always works. Same for my music, where I have stored music (I can save 6 full CDs to the computer). Is LR no longer offering "on board" computer chip space for navigation and music? The music I kinda get, but if they think they are charging monthly for Navigation that is basically an iPhone? That's a step backwards. My existing "satellite" navigation will continue when my iPhone navigation is temporarily out, so it's been very helpful, and in some ways better than my iPhone. (this happens in remote areas where trees likely interfere with cell phone reception. The satellite nav. must download the route to computer to some extent, so when connection is temporarily lost, the route and turns still appears on my screen. Interesting to note: I have gotten emails over the years to update my maps, for a cost. I've never done this, and my nav. still works. I suspect any new streets may not be on my maps, but at least it works and I'm not paying more because there's no renewal necessary.
Nav maps are stored in the vehicle. It uses GPS signal, not cellular, for location. Maps can be updated for free from the LR web site.
​​​​https://www.landroverusa.com/ownersh...-download.html

The following users liked this post:
curb-optional (06-03-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 12:42 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

hmm, my data plan on my '22 Disco supposedly ended in February. My weather app stopped working around then too, claiming connection issues. Just a couple days ago I logged into my inControl account and now weather has started to work again and the Feb. expiration on the data plan has disappeared. Couldn't just be a coincidence, could it?