General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VIN not found / AT&T

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 10:59 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VIN not found / AT&T

Hi all - new here and hoping someone can help me out because so far between AT&T and the dealership, zero luck.

About a week ago I bought a 2021 Range Rover sport. It’s great except I’m having an issue with the micro SIM and the hotspot functionality. Basically, it came with a micro SIM from AT&T and when I go to the AT&T website to sign up for service, I get a message that says “VIN not found. Please enter a valid VIN.”

Here is the URL.

I have been on the phone with AT&T and I have been in touch with the dealership. The dealership seems befuddled. AT&T says the dealership has to send them the information. Today I gave the dealership the SIM info and they resubmitted it to their database with my VIN. But so far, no luck.

Anyone have this issue and/or have a solution? I want to signup for the AT&T service but they aren’t exactly making it easy. Thanks for any input.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

I use t-mobile on our 2020 disco. I literally walked into t-mobile and told them i needed a data sim card for my vehicle, they yanked open a little card off the shelf, took my info, set up billing, and I was out in less than 10 minutes (wife and kids actually sat in car). I stuck it in the slot on the console and it worked immediately... had traffic on gps and kids had hotspot. 10 dollars a month with autobilling set up. Unlimited data but throttles at 2 gigs which is fine for us. They didn't need my vin.

I had the free at&t service and it was activated when we bought in July. I never had to deal with at&t or dealer to get it to work... switched to t-mobile before free trial expired... i didn't like the at&t data plans when i looked them up.

Last edited by TexasLandmark; 11-12-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:45 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply. The dealership indicated that I have to use AT&T but I have doubted that and this seems to corroborate it. I thought about getting a micro sim from another provider...wanted Verizon because that’s who my cell service is with...maybe I will look into that

Old 11-12-2020, 11:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Metodd
Thanks for the reply. The dealership indicated that I have to use AT&T but I have doubted that and this seems to corroborate it. I thought about getting a micro sim from another provider...wanted Verizon because that’s who my cell service is with...maybe I will look into that
I have Sprint and have for over 20 years. The dingdongs at the 2 stores I went in couldn't figure out how to sell a just data SIM and kept trying to sell me the obdii hot spot. The first guy at a t-mobile store had no idea what I was asking for but another guy had set one up a few weeks before and was excited to help and did an outstanding job. Most kids working at these stores have no idea that plenty of new cars have data sim card slots. Verizon could probably do it... obviously at&t should be able to, and I've proved t-mobil can... it's just finding someone that won't argue with you that cars do or don't have sim cards now lol. It's just a data only sim card with no phone number attached... tablets and laptops and vehicles with these capabilities just need a data sim and they shouldn't need vins or serial numbers or anything. Tmobile needed zero numbers from my vehicle... some service providers may want the MSID or whatever. If you need it, i can take a pic of the SIM card packaging from tmobile. I suslect you just need to run into a salesperson at a mobile place that is either willing to learn or already knows. I'm still amazed at how many people and their managers told me I was the one that was confused and misinformed. Derp. I even took a few to my vehkcle and pointed at the sim slot and i was carrying my owners manual with me lol.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:45 PM
3rd Gear

I went to T-Mobile and got a data micro SIM and a $20 per month unlimited data plan and it is working like a charm now!

The following users liked this post:
TexasLandmark (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 08:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem when I bought my 2020 Discovery Sport. The dealer had the vehicle for three days and had to escalate it to a higher level of support at Land Rover to get it resolved. I believe they ended up resetting all of the telematic information for the vehicle and started over with a new SIM. I was also told AT&T only by the dealer. When this subscription is up I may try the T-Mobile route. If you want to PM me your dealership info I can ask my dealer to call yours and see if they can exchange information on what was actually done.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:22 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Metodd
I went to T-Mobile and got a data micro SIM and a $20 per month unlimited data plan and it is working like a charm now!
Excellent!

Old 01-25-2021, 10:57 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Did you ever get this resolved?

Old 03-15-2021, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

Any resolution? I just purchased a Velar and have the same issue..

Old 07-04-2021, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem with our 2021 Range Rover Sport SVR, i.e, the ATT website (https://myvehicle.att.com/#/dashboard/4155132748) will not recognize the VIN.

When we first got the vehicle there was no ATT service. We first reported the problem when the car was soon in with our local service department for something else. They exchanged the SIM but there was still no data when we got it back. I next called Land Rover technical support and it took a while until they were able to "activate" the ATT data service for our SIM. Fortunately I had found a little card in the glovebox for the new SIM that had numbers like the ICCID on it. With this info they were able to fix the ATT service for the car. Land Rover tech support said the "ICCID had to be entered in their system".

However, even with the service now working the ATT website still cannot recognize our VIN and reports the "VIN not found. Please enter a valid VIN." error. Our ATT data service is working in the car, but I just can't add the VIN to our account (along with our other vehicle using ATT service). We purchased the vehicle in April. I forget how long the free plan is supposed to be, maybe it will just continue to work for free. I don't need to worry about it until data stops working. :-)