Sponsored by:

Otto Wiper Blades ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 09:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Question Otto Wiper Blades ?

Hi guys,

Anyone tried these yet? Or another brand that fits our Defenders perfectly?

Thanks

https://ottoblades.com/collections/2...ades-front-set

Old 09-11-2023, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 113 Likes on 48 Posts

Willing to try anything at this point lol.

Ignore the natural beauty and see that half crescent smear that never goes away whether it’s clearing rain or bugs

Old 09-11-2023, 05:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought them for my sport and they were great.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:01 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm wondering if they fit the attachment point on our Defenders? Seems like a very proprietary clip.....

Old 09-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Country
I'm wondering if they fit the attachment point on our Defenders? Seems like a very proprietary clip.....
I have no tried them personally but Otto claims they fit and they provide a 100 day trial ... seems like it's worth a try

Old 09-12-2023, 09:58 AM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

With who knows how many thousands of Defenders on the road, it seems like only a small percentage of owners are experiencing this ‘wiper’ problem. After two years of ownership, and still the original wipers, I have had zero problems with the performance. It may be how some people maintain their vehicles and the surfaces of the glass. Grime, oils and sludge build up over time and need aggressive removal. And there are tips and tricks to keep the blades performing like new, such as a cleaning with a tiny amount of WD-40 occasionally. And a gentle swipe on the edge of the blade with some emory cloth will restore the edge, which under a magnifying glass will reveal minute tears and gouges. But to expect the blades to swipe all of that built up accumulation is not realistic. Keeping the glass spotless between needing to use them in a hard rain, or even a drizzle is a must. If the windshield is filthy, operating the wipers in the rain will only spread the film more, not clear it magically.

The following users liked this post:
PaulLR (09-14-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 12:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
With who knows how many thousands of Defenders on the road, it seems like only a small percentage of owners are experiencing this ‘wiper’ problem. After two years of ownership, and still the original wipers, I have had zero problems with the performance. It may be how some people maintain their vehicles and the surfaces of the glass. Grime, oils and sludge build up over time and need aggressive removal. And there are tips and tricks to keep the blades performing like new, such as a cleaning with a tiny amount of WD-40 occasionally. And a gentle swipe on the edge of the blade with some emory cloth will restore the edge, which under a magnifying glass will reveal minute tears and gouges. But to expect the blades to swipe all of that built up accumulation is not realistic. Keeping the glass spotless between needing to use them in a hard rain, or even a drizzle is a must. If the windshield is filthy, operating the wipers in the rain will only spread the film more, not clear it magically.
My front window is virgin immaculate. OEM blades are perfectly clean, my Defender is garage kept and sits there a lot as I travel with flights and rentals a lot. Only 3600 miles on my Defender in 9 months. Wipers have chattered across the windshield since day one when rarely used.

Something is amiss.....

Old 09-12-2023, 01:13 PM
Mudding
Received 113 Likes on 48 Posts

I have had 2 defenders, 3 sets of wipers. All 3 have has issues such as

streaks where it should wipe smoothly

wipers “hopping” across the windshield

the issues occurred in all conditions, such as OEM blades, less than 5K miles on the vehicle, rain only, all the way to aggressive offroad dust and bugs on the highway.

my plan is a non-OEM wiper, and maybe try ceramic coat.

good tip with the Wd 40 cleaning. Can’t hurt to try!

Old 09-12-2023, 01:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Pangea123
I have had 2 defenders, 3 sets of wipers. All 3 have has issues such as

streaks where it should wipe smoothly

wipers “hopping” across the windshield

the issues occurred in all conditions, such as OEM blades, less than 5K miles on the vehicle, rain only, all the way to aggressive offroad dust and bugs on the highway.

my plan is a non-OEM wiper, and maybe try ceramic coat.

good tip with the Wd 40 cleaning. Can’t hurt to try!
Let me know what blades you find that fit and how they work. The only fix I see so far is moving to Arizona where it rarely rains LOL

Old 09-12-2023, 02:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Country
Let me know what blades you find that fit and how they work. The only fix I see so far is moving to Arizona where it rarely rains LOL
Sorry to disappoint you, but no rain is also not a solution. Take it from us here in Texas that do not see rain in almost 3 months. The squirts from the wipers (genius LR) are rarely helpful, so you get all that dirt grinding against your windshield every time you attempt a cleaning swipe.

Quick Reply: Otto Wiper Blades ?