2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Otto Wiper Blades ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 02:37 PM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

l also have issues with my wiper blades chattering or squeaking across the windscreen

The problem started after about 3,500 miles from new.

l tried a couple of alternative wiper blades but the issue was not completely solved.

The third set l tried are better but they still squeak and jump at the top of the stroke.

l wonder if it's the mechanism has too much "give" as it's allowing the wipers to judder. Unlike older vehicles you can't turn off the ignition and leave the wipers at the top of the screen to check, they always self park.

l use them on the intermittent setting if possible as it doesn't happen on a single sweep of the blades.

Old 09-12-2023, 10:07 PM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Country
My front window is virgin immaculate. OEM blades are perfectly clean, my Defender is garage kept and sits there a lot as I travel with flights and rentals a lot. Only 3600 miles on my Defender in 9 months. Wipers have chattered across the windshield since day one when rarely used.

Something is amiss.....
Definitely a head scratcher, unsure of why there is such a polar opposite of owner’s personal experiences. That’s why I related my past history of no issues, but for those dealing with it, I hope someone can find the common denominator. Exactly why these posts are invaluable, for sharing info to solve these problems. Good luck to those having this deficiency.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a story that might shed some light on this:
When we bought our Defender in October 2021, we were sold a windscreen "insurance" from a company called Crystal Fusion. The deal was that their product would be applied to the windscreen, and if the windscreen ever broke, it would be replaced at no charge to us. When we first used the windscreen wipers, they chattered terribly. Dealership said "they would bed in" - whatever that meant. Eventually, with lots of rain and lots of use, the wipers did stop chattering and have been noise-free ever since. I think the Crystal Fusion finally wore off.
A year later, we had to replace the windshield after a rock strike and Crystal Fusion replaced the windshield with remarkably little hassle. In order for our insurance to continue, we needed to re-apply the Crystal Fusion product. There were no dealers in Arizona to do it, so they let us do it ourselves. The process was quite detailed and time consuming, and started by using a stripper to get the (new) windscreen contaminant-free. We had no issue with chattering wipers following this, but I have to wonder if the original dealer spent as much time as we did on the product preparation and application. My theory is that they "just slapped it on" and the product caused the chatter until it wore off.
Have those of you who are suffering from wiper chatter had any kind of windscreen product applied to your windscreen? Maybe that's the villain.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:06 AM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

l did wonder about this.

No crystal on my windshield but l do use a spray on/wipe off polish called "Demon Shine" and it will have got on to the glass.

Old 09-14-2023, 01:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by lightning
l did wonder about this.

No crystal on my windshield but l do use a spray on/wipe off polish called "Demon Shine" and it will have got on to the glass.
I had a similar problem right after delivery (2 months back) using a RainX product that streaked instead of laminating due to heat.

The only solution was micro abrasives like Scrubbing Bubbles. Don't get too aggressive, easy to scratch with tougher products.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Update:

My dealer replaced my original wiper blades with LR wiper blades and so far...no chattering. Lets see how they hold up.