2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P400 to 18" Wheel Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 07:50 AM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Just posting a little update to this wonderful thread. My 2020 X came with 19" wheels (I know, I know), thee front suspension did NOT have the dampner thingymagic on it. 18"s fit right up with no issue. On the back, get ready for a LOT of grinding. I ended up using the 40 grit, the 60 was taking forever. FWIW, I ended up using my smaller Harbor Freight grinder vs my bigger Dewalt grinder. It was easier for me to get in and sculpt the calipers. Finally, there will be a LOT of fine aluminum. I'd recommend having a shop vac nearby and clean frequently.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:21 AM
4wd Low
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Here's some random points going from stock to 285/60-18's:

1) Definitely more road noise. There's a background hum. At <45mph it's not noticeable at all. Faster it's a background hum. The Defender has such exceptional sound proofing that it's just a background growl. Mainly noticeable because of the change from deathly silent. I'm OK with it and it doesn't bother me. Not that loud obnoxious, mud tire sound. But then again, I'm not listening on the outside!
2) With about 12 pounds per tire, I didn't expect it to be a little more sluggish. The P400 handles it and will eat it up, but it takes more "effort" to accelerate. Again, if I started this way, I would have hardly cared. But it is what it is.
3) It is CRAZY straight. I feel that the truck tracks much more solidly in a straight line. It doesn't fight me in turns and appears as nimble as before, but it is a train on straight roads.
4) In a couple weeks I'll be at SCARR in Texas (link). Hope to report more on the off-road characteristics at that time. I'm still trying to dial in the tire PSI so maybe it will help there. With the LT tires and more plies, I'm confident it will handle the crazy Hill Country sharp limestone (think ancient coral seabed), but not sure about where to air down to.

If I had a long road trip (say > 7 hours), I would switch tires.

If I had the opportunity to replace them, I would change both dimensions. They look fantastic, but I think I could get more height. I would definitely like to try these in a 65 vs 60. Then for the weight/noise, I would like to try a 275 rather than 285. So, if I had access to infinite tires I would go 275/65-18. LOVE these, no regrets - it's just that you learn as you live and I would/will make slight adjustments next time.
great write up. You can remedy the tire weight ( and in my opinion you should) by going to a different brand. My raptor 315-70-17 tires weigh around 55 pounds per tire ( wrangler good year territory). They are quiet , lightest available, and look aggressive. Same tires used on broncos
in your pictures your new set up looks to to be a bit smaller in Diameter. If that is the case it would make your car a bit quicker due to he effective shorter gearing change

Old 07-31-2022, 08:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,294 Likes on 948 Posts

Some hot and steamy grindr action today.

The patient draped for surgery. (keeps shavings out of the brakes for the bulk of the trimming.)

A bit more trimming needed with the Kimberley than the Simpson. +29mm offset v +27 in the Simpson

18" Tuffant Kimberley on P400 rear

Cheers to @GrouseK9 for the thread and for sharing the Saltkmotorsports link. Hats off to doing this with the tires on the rims. Almost 100F here in my garage this weekend. I've still got the right rear to do but I'm calling it a day.

The fronts take no time at all. Just remove the mud scraper.

The following 4 users liked this post by GavinC:
GrouseK9 (08-03-2022), LRDEF2LR (08-02-2022), MattF (08-03-2022), mopadzi (08-04-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 08:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

Have those same wheels in black. Love 'em.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
Have those same wheels in black. Love 'em.
I'm jealous of you having your mechanic do the trimming. I've had colder saunas than my garage this weekend. Still have 1 wheel to do. I'll get there in the end.

The following 3 users liked this post by GavinC:
LRDEF2LR (08-02-2022), POPTOPP (07-31-2022), rbain0902 (08-01-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 12:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

@GavinC - Brilliant work and excellent idea with the plastic/rubber band to cover the brakes while grinding. That's an A+ improvement!!

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 04:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@GavinC - Brilliant work and excellent idea with the plastic/rubber band to cover the brakes while grinding. That's an A+ improvement!!
Thanks. I did have to take it off for the last little by little steps in the grinding but as I don't have a shop vac, figured prevention might be the ticket.

I'm a little worried about having to grind a bit off the outside of the caliper. These wheels have a +29 offset versus the 27 for the Tuffant Simpson and 20 for your Evos I believe. Was surprised I had to do that. In hindsight I'd have gone with the older style Simpson Tuffant. I think they look great too.

I didn't need to shave off much in that area, (2-3mm) but not having seen others do it I was worried I was dancing with disaster. Seems like there is a lot of metal here to play with but I just can't shake that feeling of "Oh-fudge, I hope I've not screwed the pooch"

I'm a bit of a worry-wart and this is all very new territory for me. I suppose once I get the tyres and wheels on (whenever that is I don't know) and all is well, I'll not be worried any more.

LRDEF2LR (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 05:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GavinC
Thanks. I did have to take it off for the last little by little steps in the grinding but as I don't have a shop vac, figured prevention might be the ticket.

I'm a little worried about having to grind a bit off the outside of the caliper. These wheels have a +29 offset versus the 27 for the Tuffant Simpson and 20 for your Evos I believe. Was surprised I had to do that. In hindsight I'd have gone with the older style Simpson Tuffant. I think they look great too.

I didn't need to shave off much in that area, (2-3mm) but not having seen others do it I was worried I was dancing with disaster. Seems like there is a lot of metal here to play with but I just can't shake that feeling of "Oh-fudge, I hope I've not screwed the pooch"

I'm a bit of a worry-wart and this is all very new territory for me. I suppose once I get the tyres and wheels on (whenever that is I don't know) and all is well, I'll not be worried any more.
I had to do the same - shave the outside of the caliper a bit to fit the TuffAnt Kimberleys. I too was concerned, but I believe all is well.

Last edited by POPTOPP; 08-03-2022 at 05:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by POPTOPP:
GavinC (08-03-2022), LRDEF2LR (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 07:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
I had to do the same - shave the outside of the caliper a bit to fit the TuffAnt Kimberleys. I too was concerned, but I believe all is well.
I figured as much but still good to know. Thanks mate.

LRDEF2LR (08-03-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling

FYI - I let the US distributor know about having to shave the outside of the caliper. This was news to him. He's asked for some additional profile photos and is going to share this with the team in Australia. ( I sent him the one photo you posted of the grind in progress. I didn't feel like taking off my wheel when you had just a good pic posted. )

GavinC (08-05-2022)

Quick Reply: P400 to 18" Wheel Project