Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Caliper/Void Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by maxmk8
This doesn’t make sense …. How can vinyl hold up to caliper temps regardless of claims
3M makes wraps rated up to 200 F. Vvivid enamel wrap is rated at 266 F and can temporarily handle up to 400 F.

Certainly not on a track car and it may not be the 'best' but people do it.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
3M makes wraps rated up to 200 F. Vvivid enamel wrap is rated at 266 F and can temporarily handle up to 400 F.

Certainly not on a track car and it may not be the 'best' but people do it.
Few years ago I had an Audi and a guy on the forum wrapped the calipers on his RS5 in this beautiful satin color. He never had issues. These were reflective. Many guys started doing it afterwards

Old 03-09-2022, 01:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by EMV007
Few years ago I had an Audi and a guy on the forum wrapped the calipers on his RS5 in this beautiful satin color. He never had issues. These were reflective. Many guys started doing it afterwards

Those look good. You'd never know.

I think the key might be to use a reflective metallic. That seems to be the material for heat.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 03:35 PM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by EMV007
Hi guys, went by my dealership today to get an update ETA for my 2023 V8 and since the new version will come with Black calipers instead of Blue Xenon, I asked if they were able to paint them for me.
They told me that they wouldn't mind however the warranty on the calipers and component would be void.
Apparently LR is now voiding the warranty on calipers that are painted.
Found it hard to believe...
As anyone heard anything about this?
The warranty conflict is less about the act of painting and more about what happens when someone incorrectly handles the removal and installation. If someone drops a caliper and damages a bleed screw or accidentally tweaks a brake line, etc it will be the retailer that winds up dealing with the repair. If one leaks or starts squealing the retailer winds up with the repair. If someone uses the wrong paint and it starts to smell unpleasant under heavy braking-someone will waste the retailer's time to inquire about the smell. They don't want to deal with those types of issues.

When a vehicle is under factory warranty retailers are often expected to fix everything regardless of circumstance. We hear of customers demanding a new engine at 45k miles because they're under warranty (which they are quite right to expect). However, the asterisk is they never changed their oil since they purchased the vehicle. We once had a lawsuit from an elderly woman who made the case that "no one told me when I bought the car I had to do oil changes and I've never heard of such a thing."

Retailers have to deal with nonsense on a daily basis that is often self-inflicted by owners, so they often encourage no modifications under threat of warranty loss.

Can you paint calipers? Sure, if it's done properly and you can prove it hasn't impacted a system relevant to the warranty claim you'll be ok. For example- a frozen piston. If you do have a problem down the road though and it starts leaking/squealing/smelling etc I guarantee they won't be thrilled to see you.

Easiest solution? Offer a swap on the forum here-some people despise the color you desire I can assure you. Alternatively you can buy the factory units and sell your existing bits.

If you really do want to paint the calipers go ahead. Just make sure they know what they're doing and use the correct paint and application. There's a lot of heat at play on a rear LR caliper.

Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by The Insider:
Father McKenzy (03-10-2022), Kev M (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 05:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

I had a professor once tell me (in the USA) that "the courthouse door is always open." He meant that there never has to be a valid, ethical, or rational reason why someone sues you. It just doesn't matter.

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (03-09-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 06:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

I just had my calipers swapped and it was a nightmare getting the brakes bled. Could have been an isolated incident but I'd think twice.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Interesting point, @The Insider . "There's a lot of heat at play on a rear LR caliper." For those that choose (sadly, me...) to grind calipers, those beefy fins act as huge cooling fins. Grinding them diminishes their ability to cool. Beyond the normal chaos & carnage that can happen, an early indicator of "going too far" is that they will excessively heat and may start to warp rotors. I suspect the main problem that may happen with ground calipers (other than the unknown "risk" where any C&C can happen) will occur with the brake rotors cooking and having shortened life spans. I'll continue to keep an eye on things and also add "rotors" to the list.