Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the dealership goodwill repair out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Can the dealership goodwill repair out of warranty?

Not sure if LR dealers ever do this... BMW ones have been know to have...

Here's the issue:

Our 03 Disco II has 42k miles on it. Its out of warranty as of Feb 1 2007. Before it was out of warranty it went to the LR dealer FIVE times because all the brake warning lights come on while driving. The replaced wheel hubs, speed sensors, shuttle valves, etc. Well, all the warning lights came on AGAIN the other day... I dropped it off at the dealership and theyve had it for 2 days with the foreman working on the car... They are replacing the ABS ECU. That just sounds like a $3k job... I'm assuming that I wont be paying for this since it should have been fixed under warranty one of the times we brought it in... If they give $hit about the car being over warranty, do they even have the ability to goodwill warranty repair?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can the dealership goodwill repair out of warranty?

I think I premptive call to the higher ups at Landrover might be a good move ...
Tell them the story of how many times it been in before and NEVER fixed to your satisfaction ....
I think you'd have a good case due to the fact that you are such low mileage even though the 5 years elapsed....
I DOUBT the dealers would have the power to do it but would require Land rovers own to allow it ...
Even if they just pick up parts,or labor better then footing the bill yourself...

Old 04-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Ford has caused Rover to not allow hardly any repairs out of warranty, so basicly NO.
Mike

Old 04-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Damn Ford... I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow when its ready. The fact is they SHOULD have fixed it the first time.

I hate dealers and warranty issues. I had a car a few years back that the dealer had a caliper freeze on a car with 20k miles. They replaced the caliper and the brake pad on one wheel only. Even a fool know you cant just replace a pad w/o at least grinding the rotors (if possible), and they always always have to be done in pairs... Now, if you ever brought that car in out of warranty, theyd be hawking a 4 wheel full brake job on you for "safety" reasons. Oyyy

Old 04-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got completely screwed from Downtown Landrover in Minneapolis. I had brought my truck in before the warrenty went up because I was hearing some noises coming from my transfer case. They told methat it was "normal Land Rover noise." 700 or so miles after my warrenty went up, the noise got louder and louder. I took it back and a service tech took a ride with me and within 10 seconds told me that my transfer case was shot. To make a long story short, they wanted $3k to fix it. I went all the way up line as far as I could go with Land Rover USA and they would do nothing for me. An area manager even looked at the case and denied any help. They were not even willing to give me a break on the labor. I love my truck, but I have no love for corp Land Rover and will never ever buy a new one from them. I will always buy used from someone who actually appreciates the brand. I had my transfer case taken care of at Expedition Autoworks and they did it for about $1200.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:42 AM
Rock Crawling

uh-oh, you are scaring me.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My dad has an Expedition. He had taken it into the dealer for ticking lifters 2 times, they told him it was normal. Out of warranty, he took it in because it started running rough. They told him it needed new cams. I went down and showed them the tickets from the 2 other times he brought it in for the ticking. They rebuilt the top half for no charge. If you have taken it in under warrany, you should be covered. Find your tickets and have them ready when you pick up the truck.

Good Luck! I am crossing my fingers for you.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

There is the difference, you had a couple of work orders written up that you could fall back on, Xadamx didn't. You always have a ticket written up as a paper trail other wise your screwed.
Mike

Old 04-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, it won't cost you anything for the abs ecu, cause there's a recall on it .Well, there is on 2000 D2sanyway.

Second of all, dealers do what they want when they want. I also have a Jeep, and although I've only had one problem with it in the 7 years of ownership, and the Jeep had been out of waranty for 2 years. All they did, was replace my part and claim it by using the v.i.n of another Jeep that was still under warranty. When there's a will, there's a way.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Just got off the phone with LR.... (There is not a recall on the ECU for the 2003btw).

They are covering it under goodwill!

They said the dealer has to eat the fee on it, but they'll pay for it since it's been there 5 times for the same thing. Wooohooo! They're going to keep it another day... They put the part in today, and are going to drive around today and tomorrow and make sure the lights dont come back on. We should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

Nice!

Quick Reply: Can the dealership goodwill repair out of warranty?