2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panoramic Roof - Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 09:27 AM
Drifting
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Very good thoughts and my first car was a 1972 VW Squareback!!! Max was his name and I can still smell the interior!!!!

Old 11-17-2022, 10:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Do you mean "new" cars? Otherwise, I'm not sure I'm following your logic.
LOL, boy I typed that wrong. Yes, New. I've bought one used car in 30 years of buying cars It was for my kids to learn to drive in.

The following 2 users liked this post by Trekkie:
Kev M (11-17-2022), NoGaBiker (11-17-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 01:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 134 Likes on 38 Posts

Hello, everyone, I'll just add. If you are thinking of driving the car in the field, then without the skylight roof. You will avoid problems with the functionality of the window, in the future with leaking into the car and especially problems with the windscreen and its crackling.

The following 3 users liked this post by mopadzi:
curb-optional (05-20-2023), Drednot (11-18-2022), EyeJayEhh (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 09:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mopadzi
Hello, everyone, I'll just add. If you are thinking of driving the car in the field, then without the skylight roof. You will avoid problems with the functionality of the window, in the future with leaking into the car and especially problems with the windscreen and its crackling.
Oh well... I did not know the windscreen "self" cracking issue had to do with the sunroof. Certainly another good reason to avoid it for sure. At least with early MYs 2020, which was the first batch of cars. Maybe LR corrected the issue later on.

Old 11-19-2022, 10:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

I have the sunroof with black interior and oyster, headliner and since I use the roof rack a lot to me it’s not a must have because when I have everything on the roof rack you can’t see out of it anyway.

The following 4 users liked this post by DefenderSISU:
curb-optional (05-20-2023), ficklma1 (11-21-2022), MattF (11-21-2022), The Phantom Menace (06-20-2024)
Old 11-20-2022, 07:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

I have pano roof on a 90, I would say it is a must for me.
I love it and open it tilted all the time in the summer.
I almost never slide it back.
Sunscreen is almost never closed when driving.

Not had a cracked windshield since I got it, knock, knock, in April, 10K driven so far, several offroad trips, lots of gravel and forest roads.

The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (11-20-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 134 Likes on 38 Posts

mrego - Yes, it does. A car with a sunroof has a reduced torsional strength of the bodywork, which also causes the windscreens to crack due to the tension in the bodywork when crossing large bumps, i.e. when driving in the field. Unfortunately, that is the case. If you have the option, take a car with a sunroof and without a sunroof to the dealer on the off-road track and you will immediately know the difference in torsional stiffness of the bodywork when the car's wheels are cut out. The sunroof bodywork also makes more creaky noises and this will get worse with time. Personally, I don't have a sunroof and I have specifically requested this from the manufacturer. I use the car in the field. I have a roff rack a loaded accessory and therefore the window is meaningless. Another aspect is the use of the car on dirt roads if the window was still closed anyway. I have written about leaks and mechanical failures due to humidity and dust. Who uses a car but only on the road and without a sunroof, the sunroof is a pleasant addition.

Last edited by mopadzi; 11-21-2022 at 03:26 AM.
curb-optional (05-20-2023)
Old 11-21-2022, 07:28 AM
Drifting
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mopadzi
mrego - Yes, it does. A car with a sunroof has a reduced torsional strength of the bodywork, which also causes the windscreens to crack due to the tension in the bodywork when crossing large bumps, i.e. when driving in the field. Unfortunately, that is the case. If you have the option, take a car with a sunroof and without a sunroof to the dealer on the off-road track and you will immediately know the difference in torsional stiffness of the bodywork when the car's wheels are cut out. The sunroof bodywork also makes more creaky noises and this will get worse with time. Personally, I don't have a sunroof and I have specifically requested this from the manufacturer. I use the car in the field. I have a roff rack a loaded accessory and therefore the window is meaningless. Another aspect is the use of the car on dirt roads if the window was still closed anyway. I have written about leaks and mechanical failures due to humidity and dust. Who uses a car but only on the road and without a sunroof, the sunroof is a pleasant addition.
This is all fantastic advice.....and based on how we will be utilizing the vehicle (as in not driving up Mt. Kilimanjaro....although that would be pretty sweet ) it will be light to moderate off-road activities that will merge into some RTT camping. As it turns out, I was able to find a MY23, Tamsin Blue, white roof, pano roof, 18" steelies, air suspension, off road pack (exactly what i wanted basically) one state over and its coming home with me on Wed!!!!

Based on the stuff in this thread https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...0-news-112838/ I feel like i got a unicorn here. Super excited and clearly pics will be provided. Thanks for all the good help and advice

EasternShoreDefender (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 08:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks, mopadzi. Great insight. It makes sense that a difference in torsional strength would be present between the SR and no-SR models. The creaky noises is what I've read in early production vehicles. Maybe LR fixed the issue with the newer ones.

Congrats, eyejayehh. Enjoy the ride home. I am sure you will love it. This is a great road tripping car.

The following 2 users liked this post by mrego:
EyeJayEhh (11-21-2022), mopadzi (11-22-2022)
Old 05-20-2023, 08:05 PM
Mudding
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by hectorcamacho@me.com

I have the sunroof with black interior and oyster, headliner and since I use the roof rack a lot to me it’s not a must have because when I have everything on the roof rack you can’t see out of it anyway.

I too load my lr2 roof - rails with cross bars. The noise at highway speed is terrible through the glass. The ratchet straps vibrate in the wind, and the ends can slap the glass. No damage, but it’s a loud racket. You don’t have noise from your panoramic roof??

Quick Reply: Panoramic Roof - Yes or No