Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Sensor not working/ beeping

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 12:09 AM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Parking Sensor not working/ beeping

New Defender owner here. I’ve asked a lot of questions, and I am very grateful to all those that have helped. Here is another one:

I have owned this CPO 2020 Defender X for 16 days now and have already completed a 2,800 mile road trip. Not once during this entire trip have I ever heard a parking sensor beep to warn me of a close object - and I know I have been close to numerous objects that we all encounter in everyday life. It dawned on me finally when I arrived home for the first time with this defender (bought it several states away) and did not hear a single parking “beep” while pulling into garage (my Disco V beeps at different points while parking in garage)

I checked the settings and I have the toggle On. Anything else? Also it is not muted (little speaker icon is no hashed out)

Old 03-21-2024, 11:57 AM
Mudding

Bump bump

Old 03-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

Honestly, my parking sensors only seem to work about half the time on my MY22 Defender. It generally doesn't bother me as I typically just find them annoying anyway. I haven't tried to resolve it with a dealer visit.

When I have looked, I've never seen a setting to toggle them on or off. If it bothers you, I would take it to the dealer and have them diagnose.

Old 03-22-2024, 11:37 AM
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Could the truck be in one of the off-road modes that disable the proximity sensors?

The following users liked this post:
Ratledge (03-24-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 08:52 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_AK
Could the truck be in one of the off-road modes that disable the proximity sensors?
Thanks for mentioning that, because that’s what I thought. But I verified it isn’t.

I do notice that the overhead/top-down camera view shows a red outline around entire vehicle all the time. Not sure what that means or if it is normal

Old 03-24-2024, 01:19 AM
Huc
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by longtrip68
I do notice that the overhead/top-down camera view shows a red outline around entire vehicle all the time. Not sure what that means or if it is normal
I've had this happen with my 110x. The red box appeared when parking. The condition was DIRECTLY related to a DISCONNECTED parking sensor in the rear bumper. Apparently when ONE sensor goes bad or is disconnected - all the sensors freak out and the red box appears on the display as you described. I'd check, or have a tech check, that all the parking sensors are correctly attached and/or test the sensors themselves.

In my case two sensors were disconnected when I had the 7 pin trailer connector and my Andersen connector moved to be adjacent the license plate verses below the bumper. The tech failed to reconnect the parking sensors before reattaching what I describe as the aesthetic/plastic bumper shroud. Removing the bumper shroud and reconnecting the parking sensors immediately corrected the error and it hasn't happened since (that was about a year ago).

EDIT: I should have also noted that a dirty parking sensor can also cause that red line to appear in the display. Snowy/wet roads and mud have seen mine go off a few time and a quick wipe corrects the issue

Last edited by Huc; 03-24-2024 at 01:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
curb-optional (05-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 02:09 AM
Mudding

@Huc Man, very helpful information. I’ll bring that up when I go in for next oil change. Makes sense.

Is it something I can notice if I peek under bumper? Probably not

Old 03-24-2024, 09:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Stupid question here, are you getting the cameras coming on but no sound when you get close or nothing at all, bit even defaulting to the cameras? If you get the cameras, the top left corner has a speaker icon, is that clicked to silent by chance? I just noticed that speaker icon yesterday.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:06 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by vinceleo
Stupid question here, are you getting the cameras coming on but no sound when you get close or nothing at all, bit even defaulting to the cameras? If you get the cameras, the top left corner has a speaker icon, is that clicked to silent by chance? I just noticed that speaker icon yesterday.
Good suggestion; but I have already tried that. No go. Thanks though

Old 03-24-2024, 10:45 AM
Huc
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by longtrip68
Is it something I can notice if I peek under bumper? Probably not
To the best of my knowledge - no - the sensor connections are not readily visible in the bumpers or near the bottom of front & rear fenders - there's a lot of covers in the defenders in general to keep things tidy. I imagine it's worth trying though - just look for the round dots on the bumpers and side panels and see if you can sneak a peek or push some stuff aside.

The guys who did my work went back and repaired the condition at no cost. They spent considerable time hunting and peeking for ways to check, and searching for software settings to reset, verses just pulling the rear bumper cover off and checking for a loose connection which seemed the obvious place to start given the timing of work. Ultimately - they pulled it off - reconnected - and it all worked like new :-O We all learned something. What struck me as odd was my wife's Porsche had a parking sensor fail and it simply showed an alert as to which one was funky - all the others continued to work. With the Defender the whole sensor array went funky with that red error in the display for two sensors being disconnected. I simply chocked it up to the learning curve of new Defenders.

Quick Reply: Parking Sensor not working/ beeping