Sponsored by:

PIVI Weather(LiveApp) Temperature/Forecast Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 04:51 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry PIVI Weather(LiveApp) Temperature/Forecast Wrong

Hello all
I have a suspicion this is a PiviPro OS update issue and have tried EVERYTHING (except a dealer visit). I would list the year/model (its the new 2021 110 HSE X Dynamic)-- but its the software-- not the car
Scenario:
Software Updates since acquiring car in March all fine.
August is most recent push, install seemed to go fine.
PiVI Weather App has always been present on my InControl account. (i.e. it sits in place during an OS update; or, one can do Remove LiveApps, and later the PIVI Weather app will come back down shortly thereafter.)
With the August OS update, EVERYTHING everywhere works fine-- except the Weather app: shows the Temperature off by 63 degrees everywhere (ie Current Temperature, Hourly, and then 5 Day Forecast will look like below:
(as an example it is 85 degrees in Atlanta today)

Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri
29. 32. 31. 33. 31

instead of
Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri
82. 83. 80. 83. 80

(give or take an increment of 60 or so off)

The vehicle has in its driver gauge, a temperature sensor that shows the current temp outside: IT is always correct (ie today it is showing 85 in Atlanta)-- so there is no way the PIVI Weather app uses that, to generate its Weather display--someone at InControl support told me its prob the temp gauge-- I was like, ummm...NO. Also, there is zero way the car itself is predicting what the weather will be the next 5 days-- it doesn't know that, nor does it now what the rain chance % will be, or the cloud cover----all those things are on the screen for each of the next 5 days, along with the anticipated temperature---- so that info is bering pulled from the sky. (Proof of that is when I turn off the 4G: Weather app sits and spins.)
The only thing that corrects it is to go into General>Units, where it is (already) set to F, change it to C, then set back to F-- then go back to Weather--
For the next 5 minutes only (I have timed it each time) it only THEN displays the correct temp-- 5 mins later, it goes back to "29" in Atlanta etc.

it can't be the Units setting, because that is only a toggle for the default conversion-- ie show F then C like 85/14. Or show C first then F like 14/85
(Other proof its not related to Units is because in the 5 Day Forecast samples above, 85 does not translate to 29; 83 to 27, etc etc etc

I had InControl Support file a case and took a video of the issue, showing current Temp gauge vs PIVI Weather nonsense, and how toggling Units can smack it into correctness for 5 mins, but that was weeks ago, no news.
Thoughts?

Last edited by micmcm; 10-20-2021 at 08:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (10-17-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 08:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Mine does the same thing (show temp in the 20s, so I assume Celsius, only on the weather forecast, nowhere else), but I don’t know about any of the rest cuz I’ve never tried to reset — I don’t care about it. Strangely, I’m in Atlanta also. Keep us updated if you solve it or take it back to Hennessy for a solution.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

You sir, are my hero. @micmcm can get JLR to ACTUALLY fix this for everyone - you will get my deep appreciation and a pint if we ever meet. This has been jacked up for a LONG time and is a known issue. I imagine that they have aa LONG backlog of other defects and this one isn't high on the list of things to fix. Working in IT, the only things that get fixed on the deep backlog are those that have a priority from the Product Owner or a lot of people complain about. I'm logging an error to help build the case for the later.

EDIT: Just went to incontrol.landrover.com. Couldn't find where to log an issue. Could someone post more explicit directions or a URL? I'm a little slow this a.m.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:28 AM
Overlanding

One has to call Land Rover Customer Service 800 number which has a menu option to be connected to InControl/InConrtrol support

Old 10-20-2021, 08:52 AM
Overlanding

NOTE: for any reading this thread This issue described is not related to Fahrenheit OR Celsius being displayed as a choice (ie one can set Units to C and display will show the temp in C first then F; or one can set Units to F, and display will show temp in F first followed by C. (ie 85F/29C)

The temps in PIVI all display fine (meaning, PIVI presents F/C or C/F, based on Units chosen)
However-- now that I have had a chance to explore how F converts to C, I have discovered that PIVI is simply showing the Fahrenheit AS Celsius in the readout. (It was acting like it was choosing a random number that was about 50 degrees less):
Conversion of F to C is done like below:

"Simply take 30 off the Fahrenheit value, and then half that number".

Sure enough, the forecast numbers in my original post follow that exact conversion-- so PIVI is basically showing the current Temp + temps in the 5 day forecast, in Celius, but in the spot where F should show, and then converting THAT (false Fahrenheit number) to Celsius, a "second time"!

Pics are below, and I show what happens (and lasts for only 5 mins, after toggling F to C and then back again)

PIVI displaying the Oddity

The Oddity showing in 5 Day Forecast also

Toggle F to C and then back again...

Beautiful day (but only for 5 mins...)

Old 10-28-2021, 02:31 PM
Overlanding

UPDATE
Yesterday LR pushed an OTA update **for the Weather app only-- NOT the PiviPro OS**- and this new version of Weather shows as 4.3.0
Drove the car last night and again today, and the displaying of Celsius by mistake even tho F is chosen, seems to have resolved.

Of COURSE I called Land Rover Customer Service Center. [Interestingly, they have removed the Option to connect to someone at InControl Support....wonder why].. Anyway the call was useless, as I mentioned I was calling to find out what 4.3.0 update to Weather app fixed (there isn't a KB or TB to be found anywhere), and the response was "The IT Dept at the dealership would have that"....I was fascinated to know that my lonely little local Land Rover dealership was developing and writing ALL the software in my vehicle!!! This is AMAZING, as it is so close by to me. (And it's also completely Wrong, I informed her...) But nice try anyway. Then she tried again by saying "If you need help with Navigation system I can send you some information on that", Then was told she "couldn't see what version of PiviPro software I was running....again totally N/A, as there was no Update to the OS--- just the Weather app.
I then stated how disturbingly worried I now am, should anything ever happen with this car and I as the owner need to ever nail down exact cause etc etc.
For sure, for a vehicle at this price point, you'd think someone would have this info and provide it to customer-facing people.

Does anyone have the TB for Weather app 4.3.0 or similar? (It is not one of those 3rd Party LiveApps like Deezer or Spotify-- it is part of the OS itself...ie. if I uninstall it, it gets pushed right back down and sits with all the other Icons like here:

Old 10-29-2021, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

I got an update (happened in the background) on 25 October, 2021 (2.1.6), and have no idea what this update included as there were no details in the notes... but the weather Celsius temp problem wasn't fixed. Maybe I'll get this dedicated weather app fix pushed in the next week...

Old 10-29-2021, 01:42 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by drcoop
I got an update (happened in the background) on 25 October, 2021 (2.1.6), and have no idea what this update included as there were no details in the notes... but the weather Celsius temp problem wasn't fixed. Maybe I'll get this dedicated weather app fix pushed in the next week...
Yep it’s def not an OS update to the Pivi Pro OS it’s via the Live App software updates coming down and the update will make the Weather app show 4.3.0 next to it when going into “view system configuration” post- install

Old 01-10-2022, 05:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Chiming in: I found this issue on my Defender today when I was showing off some functionality to my business partner (actually I found the whole weather app which I did not know existed). So - it's still an issue. My software is (apprarently) all current / latest.

(EDIT: Actually I was wrong. I didn't have the latest software... The apps updated today and I now have weather 4.3.0, and the issue is fixed)

Last edited by nashvegas; 01-25-2022 at 07:15 PM.