Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PiviPro Navigation issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 04:22 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts
Default PiviPro Navigation issue

We have now had several issues with the PiviPro nav system on one of the 2021 Defenders and one might simply have been due to the way it wanted to avoid traffic but in any case:

First, the nav system routed us all over the county to get to a destination that was actually a straight line from our home. We decided to allow it to do it's thing and the 14 mile trip was rerouted through city streets and freeways for a total of 20 miles. That was a fail.

Now, the satellite nav thinks we are 10 miles away from where we are. It shows a location in another city, but of course the vehicle is not there. I cannot get it to delete that location as it appears the system just keeps returning to there. So, I have tried updating the maps...successful update but no luck in the location issue. I tri8ed the reset for the PiviPro by holding in the radio power know for 18 seconds and it does shut down and reboot. Same issue with wrong location.

I have the InControl app on my phone and it does show the correct location of the vehicle. Has anyone else had this glitch and maybe some advice? Thanks.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:38 PM
Received 100 Likes on 45 Posts

I know it’s probably not helpful, but I’ve not been having issues with MY2020. I have seen the “car” wonder off the road ... like old GPS used to do when they don’t have enough satellites locked, but it hasn’t done it recently.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:59 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by wlindsey@gmail.com
I know it’s probably not helpful, but I’ve not been having issues with MY2020. I have seen the “car” wonder off the road ... like old GPS used to do when they don’t have enough satellites locked, but it hasn’t done it recently.
I spoke with JLR today and they think it's a glitch in the programming that will require a visit to the dealer. (groan) She said they have had some issues with the navigation and it cannot be corrected by over the air updates. I am more concerned that it could be the satellite "fin" atop the vehicle as I read it happened to Cadillac owners due to rain and the Defender was in the rain yesterday. However, the rear camera and satellite radio work okay so....who knows. I'll update after a dealer visit.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:47 PM
Received 100 Likes on 45 Posts

Maybe a bad gps chip? Curious to see what you discover

Old 04-23-2021, 04:10 PM
Mudding

No issues with the navigation in my 2020 like you are describing. My one beef is that whenever I store addresses in "favorites" they seem to disappear about a month later. Annoying.

----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Old 04-23-2021, 05:53 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Do you use android auto or apple car play? Is there an advantage to using the defenders navigation?

Old 04-23-2021, 07:01 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

The only advantage I can think of is that you get nav directions in the head-up display and you can view the map in the main instrument binnacle display. With cell phone navigation you can only display it in the center console display.

Originally Posted by Moretti
Do you use android auto or apple car play? Is there an advantage to using the defenders navigation?

Old 04-23-2021, 07:08 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

In my opinion the main advantage of using the in-car satnav is that turn directions and maps can be displayed in the instrument cluster (and HUD, if so equipped), so you can use the touchscreen for, say, calling someone or for music playback, without losing track of your guidance screen and next turn. Android Auto and CarPlay maps can only display on the touchscreen. Also, the car is aware of your range and fuel level, so automatically offers to guide you to a nearby gas station - with prices - when fuel is low. Everything else is advantage CarPlay (or Android Auto), in my opinion. Voice recognition is far better and more responsive through my phone than the car's built-in system, business addresses seem more up-to-date, Waze and Google Maps are awesome, etc.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:53 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Does the in car sat nav adjust for traffic?

Old 04-24-2021, 05:54 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Moretti
Does the in car sat nav adjust for traffic?
It does seem to adjust for traffic; however, Apple CarPlay does a better job in this regards (using Waze or Google maps).

----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Quick Reply: PiviPro Navigation issue