2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Stall issues (?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 08:26 PM
Mudding
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

They were able to see a fault logged: P162F-00-STARTER MOTOR DISABLED IS STORED IN PCM. They have updated a bunch of software modules and sent me on my way. We'll see...

Old 02-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Bjs1234
They were able to see a fault logged: P162F-00-STARTER MOTOR DISABLED IS STORED IN PCM. They have updated a bunch of software modules and sent me on my way. We'll see...
Similar here, I picked up mine yesterday after work. They did some module update to the PCM I believe. The service mgr said the code they got was something to do with low fuel pressure as if it were running out of gas which was the exact behavior I described before it stalled. It had more than half a tank at the time. Anyway they updated that and drove it a lot, no codes appeared and it ran fine. They handed over to me nearly empty but whatever, as long as I don't have any further stalls I'm satisfied. We'll see. Service mgr admitted, he really doesn't know what caused this (there's no smoking gun were his words) and since it didn't repeat while they had it <shrug>.

If it happens again I'll be honest it's not something I'm going to mess around going back and forth to the dealer for, not for this kind of money, I'd have to get rid of it. I do really enjoy driving it though. Driving the loaner vehicle the F-Pace for a week was cool, I mean it's a whole different feel, really connected to the road, so much so that you feel the road surface in your fingertips when you're driving and the handling is very precise, but when I got my Defender back it felt like home again, there's certain things this vehicle brings to the table that are hard to part with once you get used to them. Plus at the moment it isn't depreciating in value, I feel like every payment builds equity and it's tough to walk away from that.

Last edited by Chief65; 02-25-2022 at 09:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chief65:
Bjs1234 (02-25-2022), lightning (02-27-2023)
Old 02-25-2022, 07:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65

Edit: And now for the funny part, my son likes the loaner better, a 2020 F-Pace. I'll be honest it's not hard to live with so far. The two-door 90 has been a burden on the kids and a 110 is a massive vehicle. I had configured several E & F-Paces prior to going all-in on the new Defender, even had my son sit in the back of the E-Pace to see if he fit in there ok. Well, I love the Defender but I'll have to consider it. At least the Defender hasn't lost any value so it's an option to jump ship I suppose...
After owning an XF and an F-Pace, the XF was a rocket and I loved that car. The F-Pace R-Sport, to me, was good but not special. The F-Pace is a lot sportier (handling, power, roughness) than her sister Velar. As they say, you sit "in" a Jaguar and you sit "on" a Land Rover.

The really interesting part is trying to figure out what happens to resale/desirability of the last ever petrol Jags to be built. Moving to seemingly $200k+ EV sedans only; does that increase or diminish the value of the final model year of their short-lived milquetoast SUV's?

I can definitely see a petrol F-Type being highly collectable but I'm just not sure of the rest.

​​​Not that resale has ever really been a factor to me, I do own a Defender after all. Just a curiosity really.

​​​

Last edited by _Allegedly; 02-25-2022 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
After owning an XF and an F-Pace, the XF was a rocket and I loved that car. The F-Pace R-Sport, to me, was good but not special. The F-Pace is a lot sportier (handling, power, roughness) than her sister Velar. As they say, you sit "in" a Jaguar and you sit "on" a Land Rover.

The really interesting part is trying to figure out what happens to resale/desirability of the last ever petrol Jags to be built. Moving to seemingly $200k+ EV sedans only; does that increase or diminish the value of the final model year of their short-lived milquetoast SUV's?

I can definitely see a petrol F-Type being highly collectable but I'm just not sure of the rest.

​​​Not that resale has ever really been a factor to me, I do own a Defender after all. Just a curiosity really.

​​​
Speaking of holding value those LR4s are doing pretty good. I did some searches on Carmax. I may still bring my Defender in there to see what they'll offer. Love the vehicle but business is business, there's a magic number where it would seem silly not to bail IMO. For me it's a daily driver, cool transportation, I have no grandiose plans to move to Utah and start off roading every weekend. Maybe after retirement.

Last edited by Chief65; 02-25-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 09:32 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's 2022 P300 w 10K miles had a similar stalling issue as outlined above. It would restart and then stall again. Fortunately she was able to pull into a parking space. As she was scared to drive it again, I had it flatbedded to the Land Rover Dealer. Hopefully they will be able to look at it tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:36 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar problem that took 3 visits to the dealer. I posted about it in an earleir thread and attached the dealer write up in each instance. Finally fixed it and no probs over a year

Old 02-27-2023, 05:19 AM
Rock Crawling

I traded mine in and it still had the issue when traded it in but it was under warranty so maybe the new owner will eventually get to the bottom of it (doubtful). Maybe they'll take it to a different dealer, the closest one is about 70 miles away though. In retrospect I probably bought mine too early, these may be better now or in another year or two as they work out the kinks. I like JLR, maybe an F-Pace next time or an Evoque, or maybe I'll just hang on to my Passport / Trailsport for 5 or 6 years, no complaints, very solid daily driver and 50% cheaper payment. Fwiw. Good luck with your Defenders, cool rides no doubt about it.

Last edited by Chief65; 02-27-2023 at 05:22 AM.