Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Land Rover SD Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:16 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover SD Starting Issues

Hi All,

Just joined this as I need some help, hoping you guys can help out.

So the place I'm working is having some issues with a 1996 Land Rover SD which has a 4.0L and an auto transmission, it is a car I and a couple of others use to get around.
I'm hoping you guys can help give me some clues which I can relay.

So today 2 things happened:

Firstly, We went to get into the land rover (hot from prior use) and it wouldnt start it just kept turning the engine over (with plenty of power, so not a battery issue?) but there was no sign of starting. We tryed it numerous times, pumping the gas etc. So I took the key out put it back in the ignition and it started right up.

Second time later on we went to start it and turned the key, we could hear the fuel pump whining but after that nothing happened just 1 click when I turned the key but no starter. Tried numerous times and tried taking the key out like earlier and also tried shifting to neutral and back into park etc but no luck, after numerous attempts eventually it just started right up .

Am I right to think this may be some kind of issue with a switch or relay?

I'm hoping some of you guys have ideas?

Also I don't know if this is related but all electric windows except passenger side front do not work and the ABS light and SRS lights are on. SRS light flashes.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

multi electrical issues?

Check for spark and fuel next time. And pumping the gas wont do anything

Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 PM
6th Gear

Hi thanks for your reply. I was giving everything a try! I know its some kind of electrical issue, whats causing the starting issue is the problem. I mentioned the windows etc because I dont know if these would be related in any way but they have not worked in a long time.

The vehicle works fine most of the time but sometimes it doesnt. Fuel pump was running we could hear it even when it wouldnt start. Starter works fine also (most of the time and 1 of the times when it broke down today). Also no misfiring etc is occuring when driving and it starts very quickly normally.
It seems to be intermittent, the issue happened awhile ago too and the vehicle was left over night and next day it was fine again. Maybe something heat related? But vehicle does not overheat.

Last edited by dalesirl; 09-28-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe start troubleshooting with a code reader (ask around the forum for recommendations for inexpensive readers) to see if there are any fault codes that identify the problem(s).

Check engine light on?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 AM
6th Gear

I know the check engine light works but has not come on. I reckoned it might be necessary to get codes. We can't really bring it to a shop off site since it's not registered and we dont have a code reader onsite so will have to look at borrowing one. Will post codes if we can get them tomorrow

Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the truck act "sluggish" sometimes or act like its running out of power?

Old 09-29-2010, 09:15 AM
6th Gear

No there is plenty of power at all times, once it starts it runs perfectly. Although this morning when I was driving over some bumps there was a single chime, like that when the key is in the ignition, no dash lights however and it continued to run perfectly

Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The chime was a rough road signal. There is an insertia switch on the passenger side firewall. If the ball seats all the way, it will shut the truck off. If it just touches, it will ding, and the hazard lights will flash a few times.

Do you use the key fob or just a key to get in the truck?

Might want to look into the alarm spider.. You can check fuel pressure at the rail the next time it won't start, but I am thinking you may want to look into the alarm spider. Do a search for the bypass.

The SRS light should not flash. Sometimes it will be on if you have alow voltage situation, but if it is flashing, there is an active fault.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:46 PM
6th Gear

Well the SRS light stays on but it pulses bright then dim, its been like that for a a long while but the main issue is the starting one. The vehicle is usually left open and when locked we use the key. Someone else had the vehicle today with no issues encountered. Sounds like it could be a complicated fix!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had virtually identical problem with my 97 and was afraid it was the starter beginning to go bad. People had reported "dead spots" on the starter as a potential fault common to the Disco. I picked up a good used Discovery I starter and was about to install it when I found that the ground terminal connection to the frame at the starter was severely corroded. Same thing for the Battery Cable ground terminal to the frame.

Replacing the negative battery cable and redoing the starter ground termination resolved the problem. I took a dremel deburring bit and put it in an electric drill to abrade a clean spot on the frame, then cut off the old terminal lug and crimped a new lug on the existing starter ground wire. I then used a self-drilling bolt to attach said terminal to new ground location, nice intimate connection. Same method used to reterminate new battery cable to frame. Abrade frame to bare metal, install with self drilling bolt.

Fires right up. No more ground problems. Give it a try, small cost, large payoff. And I still have a spare starter.

Quick Reply: Land Rover SD Starting Issues