Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

potentiall taking delivery tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024 | 07:56 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default potentiall taking delivery tomorrow

So tomorrow may be the day I take delivery...however I am really concerned, I've been seeing nothing but bad reviews, software failures to rattles to everything else.....am I overreacting on this? I'm going from a 16 F150 Plat which is killing me in repairs and i know I need something....but maybe I should keep shopping????

Thoughts??

Old 08-22-2024 | 08:16 AM
Winching

It's a Land Rover, which historically doesn't have a reputation for reliability. That said, look at how many people are on here and on Facebook groups, and compare that to the number of people who complain that they have issues. A significantly higher number of people who are happy with their cars. I've owned three LRs - an LR4, a Discovery and now the Defender. My LR4 had some problems, but nothing I wasn't expecting. My Discovery 5 was flawless, and the only thing that went wrong on my Defender was a fuel pump ECU that went bad a month after I took delivery, as well as the occasional software glitch that goes away with a reset. Regardless, I'd get an extended warranty once the four-year 50k mile warranty is up. JLR products are so much better than what they were even ten years ago. However, if reliability is you number one concern, then you are probably better off with a Toyota or Lexus. But a Toyota or Lexus doesn't offer the charm and character you get with a Defender. Regardless, best of luck with your decision!

The following 2 users liked this post by CincyRovers:
Pete C (08-22-2024), wcc18999 (08-23-2024)
Old 08-22-2024 | 09:01 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Thanks....you are correct that in the grand scheme it is a limited number....I have to drive 4 hours to pick it up as well, I am hoping some of those reviews I see, that are dated like 3 years ago are corrected overall. I may be over-reacting as I said but I also am not a fan of the new GX and their engine issues etc....nor are they willing to deal in price...

Old 08-22-2024 | 09:17 AM
Drifting

If it's any consolation, I live in a state with no dealership. I owned a 2022 Defender 110 for 2.5 years and 30,000 flawless miles. I just took delivery of a 2024 and have no reservations whatsoever, despite knowing that the closest warranty support is 3 hours away.

The following users liked this post:
graym (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024 | 09:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by graym
So tomorrow may be the day I take delivery...however I am really concerned, I've been seeing nothing but bad reviews, software failures to rattles to everything else.....am I overreacting on this? I'm going from a 16 F150 Plat which is killing me in repairs and i know I need something....but maybe I should keep shopping????

Thoughts??
My wife and I took delivery earlier this year of our 10th Land Rover over a 30-year period. Starting with a 1994 Discovery all the way through a 2024 Range Rover and we have either been the most lucky owners or it proves what you read online the majority of the time are from those who have an axe to grind. I'm not saying Land Rover doesn't have issues as does every manufacturer but look at many of the posts, people with a feature complaint or wish that isn't a product defect. Others will post about an issue and many jump on making a big production out of it yet they haven't taken their vehicle to the dealer for repair, then someone posts they did and problem solved. The fact is in any industry, even those who are glowingly satisfied with a product don't take the time to write a review or post, thus the negative comments (some valid and some not) do not give a full representation of all owner experiences.

Certainly your Rover may have some issues but so do so many other brands. Over our 30-year run of Land Rover's we've mixed in two S-Class Benz and they were maintenance toilets. Two BMW's that were problematic. We had a 2016 XJ that was a wonderful vehicle, only oil changes. My wife drives a 2016 Supercharged Range Rover that has only needed oil changes and she refuses to get rid of it because of that. I had 2019 Audi A7 that gave me nothing but fits and the dealer and regional rep scratching their heads saying "they all do, we don't know why." I purchased a 2022 Yukon Denali that in the first 6-months spent over 30 days at the dealer and was never fully fixed due to electrical and software gremlins galore, and then the famous GM 6.2 lifter ticking began all under 25,000 miles.

How many restaurants and hotels do you enjoy but the vast majority of online comments are bad?

I love this forum and other Land Rover forums, there is a lot of great info but I don't believe you can determine a brands dependability solely form internet comments.

The following 7 users liked this post by PNW Rover:
CincyRovers (08-22-2024), Jbiggzs (08-24-2024), jrjunior41 (08-22-2024), mtaylo32 (08-22-2024), Newbie01 (08-25-2024), PaulLR (08-23-2024), robn (08-26-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-22-2024 | 10:01 AM
|
Three Wheeling

you make good points and I agree.....just got spooked by all the issues I have seen lately, not sure why

Old 08-22-2024 | 12:26 PM
Rock Crawling

More people jump online to complain rather than compliment, that always skews the results of what you see.

Rattles are subjective, my 23 makes no noise other than the gadgets I added. I did have one rattle at 2 months that I permanently solved with a 1 minute solution that I performed in my garage.

I drove mine with 12 miles on it off the lot in August of 23. One year later and it's only needed oil changes, nothing has broken.

Enjoy it, don't dread it. It's a great vehicle and I'd buy another one tomorrow.

CincyRovers (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024 | 01:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by PNW Rover
My wife and I took delivery earlier this year of our 10th Land Rover over a 30-year period. Starting with a 1994 Discovery all the way through a 2024 Range Rover and we have either been the most lucky owners or it proves what you read online the majority of the time are from those who have an axe to grind. I'm not saying Land Rover doesn't have issues as does every manufacturer but look at many of the posts, people with a feature complaint or wish that isn't a product defect. Others will post about an issue and many jump on making a big production out of it yet they haven't taken their vehicle to the dealer for repair, then someone posts they did and problem solved. The fact is in any industry, even those who are glowingly satisfied with a product don't take the time to write a review or post, thus the negative comments (some valid and some not) do not give a full representation of all owner experiences.

Certainly your Rover may have some issues but so do so many other brands. Over our 30-year run of Land Rover's we've mixed in two S-Class Benz and they were maintenance toilets. Two BMW's that were problematic. We had a 2016 XJ that was a wonderful vehicle, only oil changes. My wife drives a 2016 Supercharged Range Rover that has only needed oil changes and she refuses to get rid of it because of that. I had 2019 Audi A7 that gave me nothing but fits and the dealer and regional rep scratching their heads saying "they all do, we don't know why." I purchased a 2022 Yukon Denali that in the first 6-months spent over 30 days at the dealer and was never fully fixed due to electrical and software gremlins galore, and then the famous GM 6.2 lifter ticking began all under 25,000 miles.

How many restaurants and hotels do you enjoy but the vast majority of online comments are bad?

I love this forum and other Land Rover forums, there is a lot of great info but I don't believe you can determine a brands dependability solely form internet comments.

This needs to be a sticky on every page of the forum!

The following 3 users liked this post by mtaylo32:
Defender25 (08-22-2024), jrjunior41 (08-22-2024), PaulLR (08-23-2024)
Old 08-22-2024 | 02:47 PM
Winching

I have owned Land Rovers since 1982, and yes, they get a bad wrap in reliability reviews because Land Rover owners in general are a very picky crowd. Remember these are extremely capable vehicles that are loaded with tech especially the newer models. In my experience, the Land Rovers I have owned have all been solid vehicles, and I put well in excess of 100k miles on each one with very minor issues, just like any other car makes have. I have driven Land Rovers coast to coast multiple times and would never hesitate taking them off road in extreme terrain. Have faith and congratulations on your purchase.

The following 5 users liked this post by wcc18999:
CincyRovers (08-22-2024), curb-optional (08-22-2024), Jbiggzs (08-24-2024), jrjunior41 (08-22-2024), PaulLR (08-23-2024)
Old 08-22-2024 | 03:34 PM
Mudding

If you are getting a Defender - awesome! Don't worry. Ignore the pundits online and talk to your dealer about service schedule and just follow along with what they suggest. I agree with everyone else here that has had a LR and enjoyed it - I've had a LR (not a Defender) now almost a decade. I've tested a Defender and found it super fun to drive, roomy, comfortable, and isn't that what it's all about? The only issues I've had with my older model LR - and it's been a few times - were related to the pesky tires. That's it. My LR has 18"s, but not sufficient space in the wheel arch to get the strongest tires on there. So I buy good tires and replace them often. This has been the one & only constant issue I've had in a decade. That's a success in build quality, and counters all the nay sayers. If all I can complain about after a decade of use on the road is the tires, must be a well built engine.... Don't let folks talk you out of the fun of driving a LR (assuming its a Defender), over something they may have no experience with. If you take care of the LR, it will work well for a decade and likely more. Things like parts have always been handled by the dealership, and honestly, it's not been many parts I've replaced. The tech is great - I've loved it. After a decade with my LR, I'm buying a 110 Defender and keeping the other LR going. Are they expensive to maintain? Yes, but only because they are well built. Don't leave that part out of the equation! The higher cost to maintain a better built SUV seemed like a fair trade-off to me, so I've got no issues with my LR quality of build (other than the odd ball restriction to lousy tire choices).

wcc18999 (08-23-2024)

Quick Reply: potentiall taking delivery tomorrow