Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF / Ceramic

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 03:49 PM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Default PPF / Ceramic

Having my D90x custom painted and wanted to get some real life experiences on PPF. Note that as much as i think it would be cool to do so, I wont be off-roading this car above and beyond taking it out on the beach a few times a year. The issue is that a) I live in PA that has salt, snow, and crappy roads and b) the paint is literally 'paint to sample' and I want to take the right steps to protect it.

I was thinking about Full Body XPEL Ultimate Plus and XPEL Fusion Plus Ceramic Coating. I am also going to tint the driver and passenger windows to 23ish% to match the back window with XPEL Prime XR Plus.

All up all in, its not cheap, but wanted reactions / suggestions on this path...

Thanks

Old 05-25-2022, 03:51 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

That's too much! You just need a partial front.

The following users liked this post:
MacMia (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 04:01 PM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

When I picked up my new RS6 I have the entire car ceramic coated and the front half and HIGH impact areas PPF'd. I'm in the North East and use the car all season. It's held up fantastic. When my 110 arrives next month I intend to do the same.

Post some pics!

Matt

MacMia (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 04:03 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by MattF
When I picked up my new RS6 I have the entire car ceramic coated and the front half and HIGH impact areas PPF'd. I'm in the North East and use the car all season. It's held up fantastic. When my 110 arrives next month I intend to do the same.

Post some pics!

Matt
please tell me you got an RS6 Avant.. Love that car..

Thanks for the advice!

Once the car is finished I will post some pics for sure. Its a stunner.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:05 PM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

Yes an RS6! Super fun

The following 4 users liked this post by MattF:
ficklma1 (11-14-2022), GrouseK9 (05-26-2022), PaulLR (05-26-2022), skeptical (05-25-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 07:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 680 Likes on 409 Posts

Beautiful RS6 MattF! Love that color.

Yes, ceramic coat the Defender, but do your research and use a high quality shop that specializes in it. I had to drive 2 hours to the best shop in my area and arrange for Enterprise to meet me there with a rental car. There are different levels of ceramic coating. Read more here:
https://uccboston.com/unique-car-car...ique-car-care/

My wife now drives our Defender and there is a bird that dumps on the hood everyday in her assigned parking spot at work that is partially under a tree. With the ceramic coating, it easily rinses off, no residue or marks left behind. Our new X5 goes in next week to be ceramic coated.

MacMia (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 08:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@MacMia - Please post color samples and then pics of it post-paint. I'm seriously torn between custom and wrap to change the color of my 110. I'm about three projects away from the decision, so I'm still sampling what others are doing. Also, please post details of what they are doing and how. Would appreciate any insights. My dad told me that "A good education costs. So, it's better when others pay the tuition...."

Old 05-26-2022, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Beautiful RS6 MattF! Love that color.

Yes, ceramic coat the Defender, but do your research and use a high quality shop that specializes in it. I had to drive 2 hours to the best shop in my area and arrange for Enterprise to meet me there with a rental car. There are different levels of ceramic coating. Read more here:
https://uccboston.com/unique-car-car...ique-car-care/

My wife now drives our Defender and there is a bird that dumps on the hood everyday in her assigned parking spot at work that is partially under a tree. With the ceramic coating, it easily rinses off, no residue or marks left behind. Our new X5 goes in next week to be ceramic coated.
1000% I get bugs on the front every day and they effortlessly come right off with a spray bottle full of water. Same with bird droppings. I've only had to do a full wash twice in the last 2 months and it always looks clean.

Carnuba wax people might as well be using whale oil lamps for how back in time they are.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GrouseK9 (05-26-2022), PaulLR (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 11:06 AM
Mudding

I went the RS Etron Gt route instead of Avant- but my exclusive order hit supply chain purgatory where it has been since Sept... I am thinking about going back to the Avant. What are your thoughts / experiences on it?

Old 05-26-2022, 12:00 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@MacMia - Please post color samples and then pics of it post-paint. I'm seriously torn between custom and wrap to change the color of my 110. I'm about three projects away from the decision, so I'm still sampling what others are doing. Also, please post details of what they are doing and how. Would appreciate any insights. My dad told me that "A good education costs. So, it's better when others pay the tuition...."
I will definitely post when I have some good high quality pics. My backstory here is that I have been looking at Defenders forever and socked away money, first focused on a restored D90. I went through all of them, ECD, TATC, Osprey.... My main "use case" for is to drive to and from my beach house- I need to go 85+mph reliably and also be able to take in on the sand etc.. The restored versions didnt work for me despite loving the looks. So, enter the D90X. That said, hated the paint choices and decided to commission a paint to sample one and an interior upgrade.. Why not a wrap you say? In the Defender, the exterior color carries through to the inside of the door panels. I felt like a wrap was cheaping out of it and wanted my specific color to show on the inside as well.

Now, is it expensive? Stupidly so. Do I love the paint I chose- without a doubt. It's an exclusive Mercedes paint..

The reason for the questions on the PPF / Ceramic are how to protect the investment without going overboard...

GrouseK9 (05-26-2022)

Quick Reply: PPF / Ceramic