Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricey...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Pricey...

Picking a base model 110 with the larger v6 gas engine (no diesel on the US configurator, boo!) and adding the explorer pack and a bunch of other options I would want it came in at $84k. And no, that’s not with Windsor leather and heated/cooled rear seats, sat radio and fancy interior lighting etc, just a 5 seat config with the smallest wheel size, all the off road goodies and the protective bits with the green paint and film.
if I start with a 110X and add the same it hits $97k.

I was wondering if I had jumped the gun getting the Disco back in July instead of waiting for this but given the sticker on that was under 75k with most of the available options (including ones I didn’t even need) and it wades the same 900mm and has similar approach and break over angles (although the Defender is a full 10 degrees better on departure and that’s huge) I’m not convinced there’s much value to a “Defender” at $10-15k *more*...

But I may change my mind in 3 years and switch vs buying out my Disco... (as it looks better than I expected).

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 09-10-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, if you're not careful, the options can make it pricey. If you stick to an off-road utilitarian focused rig and avoid the lux options, (ie - base model, steel wheels, fabric seats), you can keep it under $60K with some pretty capable options. If I want a lux SUV, I'd opt for Disco or Range Rover Sport. But seeking an offroader, so a basic Defender actually specs out nicely.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I’m a dreamer but I would be in for the “90” that is a great looking truck. yeah I said it lol

Old 09-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

This is going to put a dent in Discovery sales, which is already down 40% according to MotorTrend. I can't find a link online, and I can only assume that taking a picture of the article would violate policy. As much as I want to like the new Discovery, it hasn't happened for me. From the article, Land Rover gets this and is rumored to completely rethink the Discovery line. The 110 does seem like a good replacement for my LR3 though.

Last edited by COSPILOT; 09-11-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I’m very pleased with my Disco, but I’d have gone for the Defender if it had been available when I needed a vehicle, but deliveries won’t happen until spring as I understand it so it just wasn’t an option for me. But when my lease is up I may well order one instead of buying out the Disco.

I notice I can slice $12k off by not optioning the v6 has engine which is expensive due to being a mild hybrid (didn’t realize). But I’d really want a diesel for range...

We’re still talking $70-75k though.
Cheap compared to a G Wagon, expensive compared to a Wrangler (which would still be my choice for pure off road ability and potential).

I think it’ll sell very well.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

It has the new inline 6 with mild hybrid, electric sc and turbo to give 400hp. Wish they put in the 240 hp diesel 4 or the new SD6 diesel with 300hp and a ton of TQ.

I looked at the options and you have to navigate carefully to get the good offroad options without paying a fortune. Those packages seem crazy expensive for a bunch of unnecessary crap added in.

May look in a while, but the pricing with options make the D5 seem like a much better deal for a luxury daily and some offroad.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

Looks like we are getting the diesel 6 and 4 here in OZ along with the petrol 6 and 4.
I quite like this setup.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:28 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by loanrangie
Looks like we are getting the diesel 6 and 4 here in OZ along with the petrol 6 and 4.
Jealous! We'd jump all over a Defender with the diesel six.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

It looks like a LEGO toy. With that said though, I would like to see in person the base model D90. Would be a fun off-roader and maybe a decent commuter. From LR's website it appears to be a pretty phenomenal off-road vehicle. But 20" wheels..Yikes! And when you start adding accessories, etc. you are easily over $70k.

The amount of electronics running it does scare me a little as well. The amount of off-road technology features is more than I've ever heard of on any modern day "Off-Road marketed" SUV. All of it is a computer software electronics nightmare. I thought the new Jeep JL had a lot of snazy off-road electronic features but this Defender surpasses it by miles. I can't imagine being out in the wild somewhere and a glitch occuring that shuts down this or that. All the updates can be performed when connected to wi-fi or a mobile network..(I've been many back road places in the Southeast where there is ZERO wi-fi LoL) I'm curious to see how it performs over a year or two time frame.

I ownder if OE East 2019 will have one at the LR tent? I hope so.

https://www.landroverusa.com/vehicle...echnology.html

The following users liked this post:
Columbiar (09-13-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 09:50 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi guys, I’m a n00b here and the new Defender will likely be my first Land Rover so doing research and reading the thoughts of all you vets and finally decided to join.

Although I initially had some fear that LR would price this thing over $100K, when using the config, boy does the price rise sharply and fast!

My interest is the 90, but I do plan to take it off road a good bit and to the beach. Not interested in bare bones per se, but even when primarily focused on off-road specific options, I can’t seem to get a 110 under $74K. My target is upper $60s, but seem to need to adjust my calculus.

A little disappointed in the skid plate option and side protection. I won’t be leasing and do feel that scratches show character, but when rolling through the pines and rocks of blue ridge, Tanniehill, Talladega Nat Forest, etc, this thing is gonna get banged and I’ve never banged a $70K car as much as this one will likely have to endure. I do plan to get that very expensive matte film option on the green or grey color.

Do you guys think the aftermarket will make up for some of the shortcomings? If so, any manufacturers usually recommended so I can keep watch? Thanks for any guidance and look forward to enjoying this forum and becoming an owner.

Quick Reply: Pricey...