2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Exterior Side Mounted Gear Carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 10:02 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question about Exterior Side Mounted Gear Carrier?

Looking at a Pangea Green First Edition, with the Explorer Pack Light (no snorkel) from the factory. This Pack includes the Exterior Side Mounted Gear Carrier. We've all seen what that looks like. Can the dealer remove that, without a trace, i.e. no screw holes, marks, blemishes, etc? Is it owner removable, and installable? Easy, hard, etc.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

There are screw holes. If it's a factory fit, those screw holes will be cleanly drilled holes. If it's a dealer fit, they might end up looking terrible...

Old 07-30-2020, 03:59 PM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Looking at a Pangea Green First Edition, with the Explorer Pack Light (no snorkel) from the factory. This Pack includes the Exterior Side Mounted Gear Carrier. We've all seen what that looks like. Can the dealer remove that, without a trace, i.e. no screw holes, marks, blemishes, etc? Is it owner removable, and installable? Easy, hard, etc.
I'll take a closer look at mine. It looks like it's fastened to back roof rails with some pads on the backside of the compartment so it doesn't ruin the paint.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:56 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a look at this

It will be similar to the stair instructions I attached. The trim piece will have holes drilled in it so you would need an extra piece. Other than that it can be removed. Hope it helps

Old 07-31-2020, 04:34 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the Replies. Under the Explorer Pack descriptions in the Build section of landroverusa.com, LR makes clear that once fitted, the gear carrier is not designed to be removed.

Old 05-30-2021, 05:25 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the info on this thread, about the only one on the internet I could find.

Tracked down the required trim piece of anyone else is looking, I think its

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...de=33C010310AC

WIll let you know how removal goes.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slugelise
Thanks for the info on this thread, about the only one on the internet I could find.

Tracked down the required trim piece of anyone else is looking, I think its

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...de=33C010310AC

WIll let you know how removal goes.
Do the parts come pre-painted?

Old 05-30-2021, 10:42 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by A Faceless Man
Do the parts come pre-painted?
no, you can either wait til.rhe dealers body shop is spraying something the same colour, or buy some rattle cans.

The following users liked this post:
A Faceless Man (05-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 10:12 PM
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I test drove a 110 with the snorkel, it must have been dealer installed because I noticed it flapping on the test drive so I took a peek when back at the dealership, the installation was absolutely awful.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I had the same experience with the side mount gear carrier when I first test drove a 2020 Defender with it. It had not been installed correctly so the lid flew open at 50mph on the highway. The lock wasn't catching properly. Persuaded me to drop that option from my 2022 build - plus its not 100% clear to me what I might use it for. The use case where I might want to store stuff externally like that would need something much more secure - this looks very easy to force open even when the lock is properly installed

Quick Reply: Question about Exterior Side Mounted Gear Carrier?