Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about LR service experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 11:19 AM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about LR service experience

This is my first LR and first service. I was just curious if this was what to expect from the service department or if it changes based on the dealership. I am ok with it being expensive I was just caught off guard with how they do things at my local dealership.

So for $900 I am getting an oil change, tire rotation, and alinement. I had to wait 1 month to get a slot, no loaners were available for the next 3 months. I dropped off my Defender today and they said they won't even look at it till next week (5 days.) They informed me they do not offer same day service and I am required to leave them with the Defender on the reserved date and they will get to it when they get to it. I was also kind of surprised that I was being charged 1 hour of labor on each service item even though all 3 can be done at the same time and do not take a full hour for each. I have a very expensive Italian car that I have the same thing done and they allow me to wait a few hours to get it done the same day and only charge me the labor for how long it takes.

I am leaning towards doing the service myself for about $200 out of pocket and an hour or two of my own time because it will be more convenient. I honestly just wanted to try out and test LR's service experience so I didn't care about the price but red flags are going off in my head. What are your guys thoughts?

Old 11-30-2023, 11:30 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

My experience was been similar or maybe even worse. I'm doing all my work which is basically oil service and leaving recall / warranty issues to the dealer. The service has been the worst in my 40 years of auto ownership. Massive disappointment

Old 11-30-2023, 11:33 AM
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

My experience is not quite as bad - but still far short of the Audi service experience I came from.

The dealership is booked *months* out for normal service and the only way they will look at an issue sooner than that is if the vehicle is towed in. I've never been offered a loaner and I don't believe they actually have any - which is a problem when the Defender is my only vehicle.

On the plus side, their labor rates are less extortionate that many I have seen listed and their work and SA communication is good. I've waited in their lounge with decent internet for my last two annual oil changes and the first service.

But they have a long way to go to meet the experience of the German brands

Old 11-30-2023, 11:58 AM
Drifting
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I refuse to pay dealership prices and would recommend finding a good independent shop. I brought my last land rover in for warranty work, and asked about tire rotation - they wanted $80, which is insane. Discount tires will rotate for free, or other independents will be $15-25.

The following 2 users liked this post by Defend1:
eelpout (12-01-2023), Ratledge (12-02-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 06:48 AM
Drifting
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Similar experience. Wait times are unreasonable and sometimes still come without a service vehicle. An oil change and related services means an all day event so waiting isn’t an option.

Land Rover Denver has shown to have much better overall service, but still long wait times to get in. They will provide a service vehicle if they can and the staff are far more pleasant than other locations.

if you are in Houston, DO NOT use Jaguar Land Rover West Houston or Land Rover Houston Central!!!

The west Houston store took my Defender on a McDonald’s run for breakfast and it took four visits to still not get the service done correctly. I busted them on taking my vehicle on a breakfast run and barely got an apology. Land Rover corporate was seemingly not interested when I contacted them.

Land Rover Houston Central will simply lie to you in an effort to up-sell services you don’t need and aren’t part of the recommended service intervals. Then it’s going to sit on their lot for a week or more before they look at it.

Love my Defender, but service is so consistently bad or takes too long to schedule that I don’t know I will buy another. Seems to be the story for most manufacturers now because the recent service I had done on my 2023 Tesla Model Y was also shockingly poor.

The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 09:02 AM
Drifting
Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

OP, your dealer is horrible.

Great experience here...
called and got scheduled within 2 weeks
got a loaner at time of scheduling apt
service completed same day as promised
in addition to 21k mile service, they performed 3 updates

I've received great service from this dealership since purchase. First time buyer in the Orlando area.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

This process of making a service reservation only to learn that the dealership parks the truck in a lot for a week before moving it into a bay for work is very familiar. That's one reason I use an independent shop. The independents have figured out how to actually schedule and deliver service. That and they usually charge about 1/2 of what the dealership service keeps them in business. I use the dealership only for warranty work.

If anyone knows of a dealership in the greater Washington DC area (preferably NOVA) that can perform same day service, please let me know.

The following 2 users liked this post by POPTOPP:
Jbiggzs (12-01-2023), jusmax88 (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 10:21 AM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm still waiting on delivery... but for all of my past vehicles (Germany/Japan brands) I only used the dealer for state/emissions inspection and warranty work. I enjoy wrenching on the vehicles and have already purchased my Fumoto F106SX oil valve and I already owned an oil extractor. Watched multiple vids on the oil change and just like any other vehicle... it's not that bad. Some patience goes a long way (and shop rags). I also have an issue that I have very little trust in service centers (save for a few that I developed a relationship built on trust and several vehicle purchases). This being my first LR I'll be starting from square one and introducing myself to the service manager and find out who are the master techs they have in the back. Then I'll request them for service to ensure at least some continuity on my vehicle. Did that with my Toyotas and had great experience. Most of the routine stuff folks have already posted and created content on how to do it. IMO if you have time and a set of tools I'd suggest going that route.

Good luck on your next visit.

Old 12-01-2023, 04:09 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Sewell in North Austin has been great. I called to get the second service scheduled for my v8 Defender and they had an open slot within 2 days. I dropped off at 8 am, got a loaner and by 12 pm it was done. I had the oil changed, break fluid flushed and replaced, interior filter replaced and had them rotate my tires. $990 out the door and with great customer service. They did try to push other non-required services like last time (I paid $1800 for the first service on my v6 Defender because I didn’t know better) but I said I only needed what was required by the service manual.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:37 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by is21447
Sewell in North Austin has been great. I called to get the second service scheduled for my v8 Defender and they had an open slot within 2 days. I dropped off at 8 am, got a loaner and by 12 pm it was done. I had the oil changed, break fluid flushed and replaced, interior filter replaced and had them rotate my tires. $990 out the door and with great customer service. They did try to push other non-required services like last time (I paid $1800 for the first service on my v6 Defender because I didn’t know better) but I said I only needed what was required by the service manual.

shhhh…you gotta keep North under the radar ; )

They’re amazing though.

Quick Reply: Question about LR service experience